Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why O' Why..

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 04:20 PM
DMB14
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow this thread is making me realize how much I hate driving.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:32 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you guys are oversensitive. I never seem to have these problems. Once in awhile, I get an idiot who revs his engine at a stoplight, but that's about it.

Most people just do a double-take when they see a bright-red 80s sports car blasting Boston:Greatest Hits with 1 or 2 people under 20 years old inside.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:36 PM
s.i.s944
Advanced

ive also noticed this with other drivers but my question is why does every one want to speed by you on an open freeway or straight off a light, but no one ever wants to go any fast on the back roads on a beautifull day when your trying to enjoy a nice weekend drive.? Is it just me or does the world seem like a road block on those days.? (it happened to me yesterday on a drive through the napa wine country)
Old 07-19-2007, 04:38 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yellowline, come and drive on the streets of Los Angeles for a while.....
Old 07-19-2007, 05:25 PM
skene
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Pcar944
Ah the unspoken etiquette of the informal street dice. I wont say "race". A "nod" made it look like an invitation, a big howdy type wave would have been appropriate.

Ohhhh! I didn't even think of that. Next time I'll be sure to do this instead of

I guess I need to brush up on my street "dicing" etiquette.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:03 PM
nh7cy
Three Wheelin'

I had a chain reaction occur on the way to work today. I was cruising up 19th Avenue in San Francisco when some guy in a brand new Dodge Charger pulls up next to me and paces me for a few blocks. The whole time I'm looking straight ahead since making any type of eye contact whatsoever seems to set these people off like dynamite. After a few blocks he guns his engine and speeds off. Right behind me a BMW M5 is on my tail, taking the invitation, he guns it and goes speeding off after the Charger and they have a full on road race through 19th Avenue traffic. Needless to say, they both got stuck at the same stop light 6 or 7 blocks up and I pulled up right behind them as calm as can be. Either way, I was rooting for the BMW.

One of the reasons I love driving my truck is the fact that nobody wants to tailgate you, and nobody is dumb enough to cut you off. People also don't have to think about moving when you are trying to merge because they know you're going to do it whether their car is there or not.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:42 PM
KY944S
Instructor

Same here in Kentucky. Except they drive a big A$$ truck, Camaro, or Mustang. But for some unknown reason I don't mind getting over or slowing down and letting them pass me. Oh ya I know why, it's the deer in the morning and late afternoon. Once a week I see a dead deer on the side of the road not to mention all the other hazards, kids, dogs etc...
Old 07-19-2007, 06:50 PM
nh7cy
Three Wheelin'

Speaking of rolling hazards I forgot to mention that I almost get hit by a red light runner at least once a week. Today, after watching that little road race go down, I was driving down Clement St. when a lady in a Prius ran a stop light and almost got me in the front right fender. She started pounding on her horn until I pointed out the color of the stop light going her direction. She looked shocked and backed off to where she should have stopped had she not been in la-la land.

Last week someone didn't even give me that courtesy. It was some girl in a Black Jeep Grand Cherokee. She ran a stop light down on El Camino Real in San Mateo. After realizing what she had done, she skidded to a stop somewhere in the middle of the intersection right where I would have been had I not noticed her speeding towards me and stopped. Without even so much of a glance over to see what was going on, she dug out. Then you get the people who think green lights are red lights which also makes life very interesting.

My mom works in an office building near the corner of Geary Blvd and Franklin St. in the city. She said there hasn't been a month since she started working there 4 years ago, when there hasn't been a major accident at that intersection due a red light runner.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:59 PM
U-30AT
Instructor

Originally Posted by DMB14
Wow this thread is making me realize how much I hate driving.
yeah I almost decided to drive the Jeep today because I have just had enough!...but too nice of day for that and so far so good

Originally Posted by 951Tom
I hate the people who have the "oh he's in a Porsche so I'll pull out right in front of him because I know he doesn't want to crash his Porsche so I know he'll SLAM on his brakes to avoid hitting me" mentality.
or ..."hes got a Porsche and I know he'll be pissed if I pull out in front of him so he can't speed". WTF like all we want to do is drive recklessly and endanger our fellow drivers.

once i make it to the left lane the majority of the people see the P-car in the rear view and move over without any prompts...its getting over there thats the problem. I'd much rather follow when it comes to running in the fast lane over the limit - caveat IF its 10mph+ over....you know 9 you're fine 10 you're mine

Last edited by U-30AT; 07-20-2007 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:39 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

When I first got my car, it seemed that I'd get all kinds of people trying to "race" me in cars that make no sense, including a Ryder rental truck. But at the same time, cars that would walk all over me would suddenly back off or yield in my presense as if I intimidated them into submission or something.

Nowadays, it's not that much of a problem (or maybe I just don't notice anymore). There are still a few cars, such as this red EVO that I occasionally see when going to work (he'd dawdle until I start passing him, he'd speed up and then dawdle again. I'd never have that problem around him in the Miata). In general, these days, most people seem to want to just get out of my way when I'm in the 944. They're oblivious to the Miata, tho.

BB.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:50 PM
944s2guy
Instructor

Maybe its just all of "us" who have the complex and everyone else is normal......

nah.... lol

Anyway, When I first met my girlfriend (who loves my car but insist she was not "impressed" that I had a Porsche when she first met me) after a few times riding with me in it she turned to me and goes "don't you ever get sick of everyone looking at your car?" I just laughed and lied saying I dont notice it anymore....

Anyway I do agree that people seem to drive differently aropund me when I am in it, as compared to my minivan, where it seems most people respect me as a driver, (when I use my signals they let me get over etc) where as in the P-car I have to signal as I am getting over basically, as not to get a ticket.

But I was driving the gf's dodge avenger yesterday and its retarted how many trucks vans etc treat you like **** when you only go 2-3 mph over the limit. Cutting me off tailgaiting etc.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:56 PM
U-30AT
Instructor

Originally Posted by 944s2guy
Maybe its just all of "us" who have the complex and everyone else is normal......
yeah i've thought that too but thats just us over-analyzing!!
Old 07-20-2007, 04:58 PM
Renalicious
Intermediate

Interesting, I'll need to look out for stuff like this and observe how other people drive when I'm around in my p-car, compared to, say, when there is another sports car up ahead. However since I don't drive my car all that much these days, I do have a habit of accelerating quicker and getting up to speed sooner than a lot of cars, but in no way gunning it, even if I get a bunch of red lights in a row.

As for nods from other p-cars, I do get a few from 911's and almost always from 944s or 928s (When they actually see me). And coming across another 968 on the road happens about as often as winning the lottery
Old 07-20-2007, 06:46 PM
Pcar944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 944s2guy
Naaa. they are mere fat grazing wildebeests while we are lithe powerful leopards...

Old 07-20-2007, 06:49 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Legoland951
Yellowline, come and drive on the streets of Los Angeles for a while.....
We have rednecks in rotting pickups thinking "ohmigosh, yer rich if yew drive a porshh!" It's not like everyone is friendly here.

Quick Reply: Why O' Why..