Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why O' Why..

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 11:06 AM
cie_lab
Billowing in the Wind
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great thread! I'm new to the family and I've noticed this too. On the way home to MN from Detroit, this happened all the time. For safety reasons (more on that in a different post) I didn't want to go more than 60-65. Occassionally, though, I'd get boxed in. For some reason, cars just wanted to park in my blind spot. The turbo comes in handy for these situations.

Originally Posted by PeteL
What's the deal with pick up trucks? Why do they all drive 20+ mph over the speed limit? I get passed by more of those than anything else. Talk about vehicles least suited to go that fast....
When I was just about to St. Paul, this nut in a pickup truck floored it. I could see him coming in my rearview mirror. The road's 3 lanes wide and I was in the left lane passing traffic. He was in the far right lane in his loud-*** 4x4. After I passed traffic he jumped across all three lanes and swerved right in front of me.

I get the impression they're mad. Like, not crazy mad...angry mad. They see some guy driving a 'porch' and they think, "rich f'er, I'll show him. Watch this Billy-Bob!"
Old 07-19-2007, 11:13 AM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Only ricers and trucks bother me... In my old silver 944 no other p-cars/german cars waved at me but in my red 944 every P-car older then 3/4 yrs waves. One time I parked next to a guy in a 80ish 911SC..said nice car (looked pretty beat up and it was an older guy with a crack ***** looking companion) and he just said "YEAH I KNOW." and walked away like an ***-hole
Old 07-19-2007, 12:07 PM
Weston
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by U-30AT
...is it that 75% of other drivers upon noticing a 944 feel the need to speed up, tailgate or just otherwise act like total idiots? not talking just ricers...its guys in honda elements, pick up trucks, econoline vans, saturns the list goes on!

why?? what is it about this NON fast car that entices people so?
I've driven my full race 944-spec car around on the street a few times for testing purposes... having race numbers and sponsor decals all over it sure attracts attention, and the street ricer idiots are no small part of that. I've had some dumb kid in a Mustang trying to race me in the pouring rain, an idiot redneck in a truck trying to race me through some curves, and the best of all was some moron who gave me a "ricer flyby" on the Interstate and then cut across several lanes of traffic before the unmarked police car behind him hit the lights. Now that made my day!
Old 07-19-2007, 12:35 PM
Pcar944
Rennlist Member

I've noticed that when I drive my red car, my fellow drivers seem intimidated and back off, when I drive the dark blue car they're all over me, the scions and the men in minivans.

Its made me a huge fan of Guards Red.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:25 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Is your speedo working right?
Old 07-19-2007, 01:42 PM
Lord_Galva
Burning Brakes

Oh wait I love it when I see this.
Two lane highway with a 1500 pickup in one lane and minivan in other going the same speed. I pull up be hind the pickup follow behind for 1/4mile and notice the van is going 2-3mph faster so I move over to his lane. All of a sudden the pickup roars to life and takes off. WTH? I just don't understand it. Before I got my car I would always pull over to a slower lane to let faster cars go bye. I also to this day slow down to let people get merge if they have their signal on. Even in San Francisco were everyone and their mom are jerks.
One last thing, have any of you gotten this? Your on a freeway and you merge on an off ramp but just before you pass the barriers some idiot cuts infront nearly missing the barrels and your front bumper. Perfect opertunity to honk, which you do, then the whole rear row seat extends their black middle fingers at cha.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:55 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Well thats CA drivers for you. I drove from redding last week and there was a lot of that. I would do no more then 5mph over the limit and some A-hole still chose to pass on the overlay next to the slow lane, it wasn't even a lane. In a way I've become used to it, people cutting it close and slow drivers getting in my way but it is still annoying and I do think we need to raise our speed limits.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:57 PM
nh7cy
Three Wheelin'

I think I've narrowed it down to a few general groups of people. There's Frantic Soccer Mom. Big Bad Contractor Dad. Cellphone Hand Business Man. And Ricer Boy.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:01 PM
skene
Burning Brakes

It's not just 944's. I've been driving my dad's '05 bmw m3 for the last couple days and the same thing happens. It's funny how people react. I approached another M3 and nodded to him, and he took off like a bat outta hell swerving around everything to be sure he stayed in front of me the whole time. I have no interest in racing and drive like an old man most of the time and just don't get it. You're on a highway. With cars 500 feet in front of you at best. You're going to hit the same stop and go traffic as me in 2 miles. Why are you trying to race!?

I also love how people will always speed up if they're in the left lane and you get close to them a lane over. Around here people don't want you passing them no matter what.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:08 PM
Pcar944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Keithr726
Well thats CA drivers for you.
Please! Dont! i MISS california drivers. I lived in the bay area for 12 years. Here in Washington its like bizzaro slow motion world. Traffic moves about 5mph slower than the posted limit, because most drivers are either terrified and are barely in control of their vehicles or they have a scalding hot latte clenched between their legs. The only vehicles you see signaling have had their turn signals on all day. One car in fifty signals when taking a freeway exit. Most vehicles get on the freeway, immediately move to either of the two left hand lanes and stay there whatever.

Old 07-19-2007, 02:14 PM
Pcar944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skene
I I approached another M3 and nodded to him, and he took off like a bat outta hell swerving around everything to be sure he stayed in front of me the whole time. I have no interest in racing and drive like an old man most of the time and just don't get it. You're on a highway. With cars 500 feet in front of you at best. You're going to hit the same stop and go traffic as me in 2 miles. Why are you trying to race!?
Ah the unspoken etiquette of the informal street dice. I wont say "race". A "nod" made it look like an invitation, a big howdy type wave would have been appropriate.

Old 07-19-2007, 02:34 PM
951Tom
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I hate the people who have the "oh he's in a Porsche so I'll pull out right in front of him because I know he doesn't want to crash his Porsche so I know he'll SLAM on his brakes to avoid hitting me" mentality.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:11 PM
Nicole
Cottage Industry Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 150 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by billthe3
I hate retards that don't let you merge, even when you're sitting there with your blinker going for minutes.
That's why I have given up on the turn signal when trying to merge. The only way seems to find a gap and get in before the other driver wakes-up. You need to use the "surprise effect" to get anywhere... sadly!
Old 07-19-2007, 03:54 PM
buckshot
Addict
Rennlist Member

let me throw a different angle on it, I know when I want to look at a really cool car,
I may speed up a bit to watch it and look it over.
Just consider it a complment....
Old 07-19-2007, 04:12 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Nicole, I tried to explain why I don't use my blinkers for that exact reason and she just doesn't get it. People don't let you in if they are intimidated by what you drive especially if you are going faster than they are. I drive pretty slow nowadays but when I try to change lanes, people speed up to block me if I am on my motorcycle or my 944 turbo. If I drive the minivan, even when it has 240hp, no one pulls the same stupid stunt.

When I am trying to change lanes to get off the freeway in my turbo diesel minibus (500 ft lb rear wheel torque at 2200 rpm) and someone tries to block me, I just slowly change lanes anyways. I thoroughly understand why semi drivers do that as they have no power to accelerate in order to avoid an accident being caused by these idiotic "blockers".

Quick Reply: Why O' Why..