Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken thing inside oil pan (pic)

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 02:27 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Broken thing inside oil pan (pic)

finally got the oil pan out, cleaned it up a bit, also removed the oil pump. After cleaning up a little I noticed that the plastic splash guard or whatever inside the oil pan is partially broken. there was one par that was still attached but barely so I broke it off because I'm scared it'll fall into the oil pan later on.

anyways not it looks pretty secure but there is obviously a chunk of it missing but how bad is this?

I'm kind of on a deadline to get the car running and dn't have much time to wait for parts to come in.

would this be somethign I'd have to replace or should it be fine like this?

also how clean do you have to get the surfaces of teh oil pan gasket area on teh block and pan?

I used gasket remover on the pan but that stuff is really corrosive and don't want to spray it anywhere near the block. I also used brake clean.

the oil pan is clean now but ther is still baked on crap on the surface even with the gasket remover so I was thinking of sanding it lightly with very fine sand paper.

would this be necessary?

what about teh oil pump ? you can see it still has baked on oil etc on it but it is "clean" I used brake clean to clean up all the wet oil etc. Again I don't want to be using sand paper or harsh chemicals on the block itself

also another question when I turn teh oil pump it kind of makes a clunking noise, teh bearing seems to move side to side a bit and make noise.

does this mean teh pump is bad? I can't really afford a 800 dollar pump right now and again I'm running out of time to fix the car as I'm moving soon. The oil pressureetc was fine on teh car. I thought maybe it's because there is no oil to lubricate it right now and I sprayed lots of brake clean on it may have gotten inside it?

oh and one more question should I use rtv silicone to dress up the oil pan gasket and what kind? the stores here only have permatex stuff.

I'm already getting the loctite 574 this week from the porsche dealer for the oil pump.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:31 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Old 07-01-2007, 02:37 PM
WizPorsche944
Three Wheelin'

Ouch
Old 07-01-2007, 02:43 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

lol the big broken piece wasn't even inside the pan so looks like someone had removed the pan before and messed it up.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:29 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

Mine was kinda broken too when I rebuilt my motor...8000 miles later the car still works and after 3 oil changes I haven't gotten any pieces lol
Old 07-01-2007, 04:09 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

yeah but I was wondering if the engine would still get enough oil with a part of teh splash guard missng. I don't think mine looks too bad but want to be sure.

also what is the best way to get everything clean and how clean does it have to be to seal (oil pan / pump). is baked on oil acceptable?
Old 07-01-2007, 05:01 PM
931guru
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 262 Posts

yah, teh pmup is bda.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:06 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

how do you know?

the oil pressure was okay on the car. The bearing inside teh pump (which the drive shaft moves) moves a tiny bit side to side, just enough to make sound when I touch it.

I don't really have money for a 800 dollar oil pump so I think I'll keep on using it as I don't have any real proof that it is broken.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:14 PM
Dal Heger
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The pump is fine, there is no bearing inside, it's a positive displacement pump, basically two interconnecting rings that ride in a groove. Take off the three bolts and clean it, once you have it apart you'll see how simple it actually is. The only thing that you might look for is if there is a significant groove in the pump, or one of the teeth is chipped. When putting it back together you might want to use a little bit of loktite blue on the bolts, but it's not 100% necessary as the back of the pump fits snug against a solid wall.

Basically these pumps are indestructible and they don't really wear.

As to the oil pan splash shield, order the new one from the dealer and update it. You have the old one which works fine, but the newer style works better. Oh yea, those allen bolts that hold it on have loktite blue on them, so it might take a bit to get them off. Put some blue on when you put them back in.

As for cleaning, I use scotch brite (green) pads to clean everything, they won't scratch the aluminum, but they do get everything else clean. I also use a flat razor to get the big chunky stuff off. Brake clean everything to wash it down.

Dal.

Quick Reply: Broken thing inside oil pan (pic)