Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about frame damage

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 06:40 PM
Dare
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question about frame damage

Some time before I purchased my car it had been involved in an accident that damaged the front frame rails immediately before the suspension points. At the time I bought it I had a PPI done which said that the damage had been repaired adequately. Now that I have front completely apart I beginning to doubt that assessment. The driver’s side rail looks okay, but the passenger side has a large split in the metal that runs across the bottom and half way up the inside. If I yank on the cross piece near the radiator mounts I can see rail flex at the tear. I assume this is not a good thing.

So my question is: what’s the best way to fix this? Can the split be welded or does the rail have to be replaced? The car will mostly be used for the track, so I’m not looking for perfection here. However I assume it’s not safe to drive with that tear growing each time I hit a bump in the road.

Here are some picts of the damage:

Old 06-30-2007, 07:18 PM
KY944S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OMG...Who did the welding there???

I would grind down the weld and hit (weld) the spots they missed. Then I would cut some sheet metal to fit the affected area and weld that into place for structural support.
I would not have put my name on that fix
Old 06-30-2007, 07:57 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

whoever did the ppi and said it was ok was an idiot.

Old 06-30-2007, 08:01 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

thing w/ that is the weld looks like crap- or just non existant. Now this part of the car has almost no stress on it from the suspension besides the sway bar, so it doesnt take much to hold it together- so it would prob be ok the way it is- personally i would get someone to weld that up real good though.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:17 PM
Catfood
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car had the same thing happen to it. However my damage was not as extensive as yours so I just bent it back.

If you really want to get it done properly you take it to a body shop and porsche makes a replacement. They are pricey, but what you do is chip off the two front frame rails up to the bent portion. Then you get two replacement rails from Porsche and they slide into your frame rail still attached to the car. At that point you weld it in and put everything back together. The piece porsche sends you has holes already drilled into it, so it should match up pretty close.

If your just looking for a quick fix, following xsboosts advice is probably your best route.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:29 PM
mclarenno9
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am sure you know this but the car will probably suck real bad if its in an accident. See this interesting clip from Fifth Gear...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWEdlUT17PI

But..... it is a Ford Focus
Old 06-30-2007, 08:42 PM
KY944S
Instructor

Wow that 5th Gear video realy brings things to light. Consumer Beware. I guess you can never do enough investigating, even Carfax does not show all.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:48 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

still a very valid point. Ive seen quite a few rolling around like that too. When my dad was a body man some 20 years or more, insurance companys would pay to have a car cut in half, and a new front or rear welded into the car- sometimes they would be brazed. Now im sure that my father did a great job putting them back together, but im not sure i would want to get in another accident with one of those cars.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:55 PM
Nicole
Cottage Industry Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 150 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by mclarenno9
I am sure you know this but the car will probably suck real bad if its in an accident. See this interesting clip from Fifth Gear...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWEdlUT17PI
The results are not surprising given the quality of the repair, but shocking to the unsuspecting.

I'll post this in OT as well - more people need to see this!

Your comment about the Focus is unnecessary. Obviously, the intact car shows that a Focus is a pretty car. You don't need a tank to survive - you need a crumple zone that works, a passenger cell that doesn't collapse, and carefully designed restraint systems.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:03 AM
Dare
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Catfood
If you really want to get it done properly you take it to a body shop and porsche makes a replacement.
Anyone know the part number for this and approximately how much it costs?
Old 07-01-2007, 01:25 AM
Dare
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nicole
The results are not surprising given the quality of the repair, but shocking to the unsuspecting.
Well, the video was certainly dramatic, with lots of slow-mo and fast editing, but as with most of their stuff it was pretty thin on real information. It would have been great if they’d talked about the degree of the original impact and what could/should have been done to fix the car.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:03 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 654 Likes on 508 Posts

I'd suggest cutting it out and replacing it with some new material.

Quick Reply: Question about frame damage