Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

931 Titanium Vavles - Is there a demand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007 | 04:50 PM
ct_nz
Intermediate

Here is an older one I found. For the 924gts lovers here is the full 924gts body. It has the 924 bat wing mirrors and everything. This was taken in Ely, Nevada at the Silver State Open Road Race.

The 924 hood scoop directs air right down onto the gts intercooler. Simple bolt on mod if you can find one. You know those little red rubber O ring seals that go between the down pipe and the throttle body? 924 turbo owners will know what I am talking about. After I put the intercooler on I used to blow those left and right. They would get hot and just squeeze out just enough to cause a pressure leak. What a pain. I finally found a replacement at an industrial seal supplier. They were plastic or something. They could handle the heat and never faded. I never had another problem and were cheap. If you have a 924 turbo and have had that issue there is the fix. Don't try the auto stores go to your friendly industrial supply house. I didn't find the solutions I needed in car parts catalogs as no one else was doing what I was (they were a lot smarter and richer). Hey I heard those groans!

The car was morphed a few times. It started life as a 81' 924 turbo. For those wondering, yes, you have to take out the torque tube and other stuff to get the Porsche snail gearbox in.

The snout of the GTS looks great but is flat as a brick. Try pushing a 160mph wind against it. The new 924gtr nose is more aerodynamic and put the air where you need it. I went faster with no other mods at the time.

Some more historical info on the 924GTR. If you have ever seen photo of the 924gtr's and the aerodynamic mirrors they had. They were just a cowling or cover over the actual mirrors. They were huge but still reduced drag.
Attached Images  
Old 06-28-2007 | 05:37 PM
ct_nz
Intermediate

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Lemming
Engine bay!
Lemming

Just for you.

If you can find a copy of Eurosport Car magazine from Summer 1994 (of course everyone keeps 13 year old car magazines forever right?) and there is a photo spread in there. Here is a page from the mag. This is the old engine not the new one so keep that in mind.

I will try to narrate it just a bit. It ain't beautiful but it works.

k&N round air filter. That black hose fitting out the left side is to water injection. I used the windshield water tank reservoir location for my water tank. I raced in the dersert. I would water the k&n down before I raced, it would be long dry before the end but imagine that nice water cooled air. Damn it was sweet wile it lasted. it is like driving a turbo in the cool misty morning air when you have natural intercooling. Dense cool air and turbo!

The red cylinder on the side of the intercooler with the two posts and a blue wire attached should be recognizable to some. it is a stock 930 boost sending unit. This went to the 924gtr boost gauge built into the tach. The is an aluminum square block it is bolted into. There is a ground wire and higher pressure kill switch I got from Andial. The black foam padding around the intercooler was to force the air through the intercooler from the hood scoop.

Did I forget to mention I had adjustable boost? I had an adjustable pressure relief valve between the plenum and the turbo waste gate. I could set the pressure valve higher and the waste gate wouldn't know it. One the preset pressure was hit it would open and allow the pressure to be sent to the waste gate.

You might notice an extra injector on the plenum as well. How else do you think I kept from blowing the sucker up? There is also 1 new bolts on each side. I intended to upgrade to two smaller injectors but never did. The unit was programmable for fuel curve via a screwdriver. more at the low or high end. We didn't have the super electronics in those days.

To the right of the intercooler you can just see a touch of blue. This is a jacobs energy pak ignition. It was brand new back then. The factory support for the unit was great at the time. In this photo you can still see the stock coil but that was later removed. The jacobs was awesome. You could just unplug it from the stock system and into the new. You could hear the difference in the motor even at idle. When you run higher boost you have to make sure you ignite the fuel or you have an instant 5 cylinder. I also had a jabocbs advance/retard on the ignition. I would often run in hot or cold. I would also run at high and low elevation. I could adjust the boost and retard for the conditions.

On the far side you will see a blue dot on the fender well. This is a fire system outlet.

This photo of the car is a bit better. You can see the block dot or plug just to the left of the right lower light. This is the towbar plug. Don't try and get the critter on a trailer without it. With a double clutch pack that would launch you when it grabbed. I don't think so unless you want the car in the back of your tow vehicle. For every good there is often a bad.

Also you will notice the electrical kill switch in the antenna hole. This was required by racing rules. Not in the antenna hold just an external kill switch.

And no the tries are not tread worn. That was a brand new set of comp-ta r1's. Flat sidewall allowed me clearance in the rear. They also gave a great contact patch.

ok, guys I am almost talked out... say you have had enough. Have mercy on me.

lemming, did this do anything for ya?
Attached Images  

Last edited by ct_nz; 06-28-2007 at 07:33 PM.
Old 06-28-2007 | 07:11 PM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

I don't see the pic....
Old 06-28-2007 | 07:16 PM
ct_nz
Intermediate

Wink

Originally Posted by Airflite40
I don't see the pic....
Oops my mistake. It didn't upload. It was too big and I had to shrink it down. Is should be there now.

Last edited by ct_nz; 06-28-2007 at 07:34 PM.
Old 06-28-2007 | 07:47 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Man, every time I move away from 924s something amazing like this comes up. These cars have a fantastic place in history, which the 944 and 968 can't boast.
Old 06-28-2007 | 08:12 PM
ct_nz
Intermediate

Wink

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
Man, every time I move away from 924s something amazing like this comes up. These cars have a fantastic place in history, which the 944 and 968 can't boast.
The 924 came out in the late 70's. It is a classic more than 30 years old. It is also a cheap racer with a lot of fun per buck.

Last edited by ct_nz; 06-28-2007 at 09:06 PM.
Old 06-28-2007 | 10:53 PM
porshaowner
Instructor

how much for the valves? how much for the entire car? after reading 4 pages I have to ask.
Old 06-28-2007 | 10:57 PM
Reimu
Drifting

I've been interested in a 931... Too bad they seem really hard to find.
Old 06-29-2007 | 12:58 AM
ct_nz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by porshaowner
how much for the valves? how much for the entire car? after reading 4 pages I have to ask.
I haven't got a clue.

ok, here is a question for the group. Payback for the pics (if you don't mind). What is it worth? I am not looking for offers, just comments. This is moving pretty fast for me and my brain is at 4 web pages ago.

I know it is hard to know without seeing the car. I'll take any comments or estimates. I have been out of touch for 10 years. Also take into consideration I am not wanting to get rich here but am not foolish either. If I can find the right person and price ok, otherwise it sits.

Here are some of the details:
The car you have seen
Pair of 8x16 fuchs 944 offset
Pair of 9x16 930 offset
I think I have 2 spare heads. one of which is welded shut on the bottom. The guy ran 2 bar!!! Hang on, that is 29 lbs psi. I couldn't do it. That's nutz.
There is a set of plastic windows with small slider, never installed
A huge set of shims for the cam. It would cost a fortune to make those alone.
A spare set of race valve springs (pretty sure I still have those)
A terratrip 401 rally computer
The titanium valves
2 offroad intake blowers for blowing fresh air into you helmets
There is maybe a spare aluminum piston or two.
A roll of ceramic insulation tape. Heavy duty stuff. I used on my exhaust from the turbo, That is how good it is.
Can't remember what other spares at the moment.... Hmm... 10 years ago.... what did I have????

I do know a little bit. The snail box is/was like brand new, the gts intercooler was $550 dollars 14 years ago after I hunted for years to find one, and the rims have their commercial value. And who can even find or seen a factory 924gtr dry sump pan for a 931 motor?

It has some rare bits. I won't even share how much the monster motor was. It hurts too much. Groan.

But hey I have some memories that are priceless. The most fun I ever got was passing cars like 5.0 liter mustangs at 150+mph with my little under 1980cc car. It is like slow motion at that speed. You guys know what I am talking about. You are watching 1 mile down the course because you will be there in like 20 seconds. You don't even look out the sides because it is pure blur.

I once had a fuel pump quit (bummer) in a race and coasted for over 2 miles. My navigator said why don't you pull off the track right here as they pointed to a right angle road where a track official was based. I would have flipped the car if I had done it. We will still coasting at over 100mph but felt like we were doing 30. Come on now be honest who hasn't ever been doing mach III on a cool off lap because it felt like you were standing still from just doing mach iv?

You guys!!!! Darn it. This is pure punishment in some ways but great in others.

You want the real shocker. At 160mph I was turning just over 3 grand. None of this red line stuff. You don't red line for 5 or 10 minutes straight and expect a turbo engine to live long. Talk about your TALL *** gears. I think final drive in 5th was .91 on 16 inch tires. I would lose 1000rpm from 4th to 5th. Once you got there you didn't dare slow down. it was a HUGE drop to 4th. Quick shift? I don't think so. Think of it like shifting from 5th to 3rd. It has quick change gears so you could swap them out to what you want. That setting was for flat out stuff. Totally worthless on the track.

Have you even been doing 160mph and the only thing holding you back is your tech rating? I was really close to all the players and officials so it wasn't ok to break the rules. Oh yeah and there were speed traps, Not only were you disqualified but you were banned for at least a year. If you really abused things it was longer. I won the 135mph average for the 90 miles with a perfect time at the silver state in 93. Guys notice again that wasn't top speed but average speed with 1980cc. Not the fastest for the engine size but respectable. At that point I was like the rest of you a true speed junkie.

Oh god! I think I just remembered where the gear charts are. I think there is other stuff there too. Nooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's too much. Shoooot me!!

Last edited by ct_nz; 06-29-2007 at 01:14 AM.
Old 06-29-2007 | 01:17 AM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

its hard to say what the car is worth...just know that 6 months ago a genuine 924 CGTS sold for around $50,000.

And I know that CIS injection does not like to sit around....If I had the funds I would scoop it up and track it in a heartbeat!
Old 06-29-2007 | 01:34 AM
ct_nz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Airflite40
its hard to say what the car is worth...just know that 6 months ago a genuine 924 CGTS sold for around $50,000.

And I know that CIS injection does not like to sit around....If I had the funds I would scoop it up and track it in a heartbeat!
50 grand, no way. That was not even in my sights.

Track cars and collector cars are two different animals.

cis is cool because it will automatically adjust to any engine displacement you change to. However you need to know what you are doing on the fuel distributor. very fine adjustments is all it takes or run way too rich or way to lean.

Did you view that pic ok?
Old 06-29-2007 | 01:36 AM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Awesome looking car. To be honest, I'm not interested in buying, but I will be in Vegas in about a week and a half and would love to arrange a look and some photos.
Old 06-29-2007 | 01:42 AM
ct_nz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MPD47
Awesome looking car. To be honest, I'm not interested in buying, but I will be in Vegas in about a week and a half and would love to arrange a look and some photos.
I will find my mechanics email and send it to you. You two can work it out. He is not far from the airport if that helps.

Give me a day or so to get it. It is on a pc that I need to recover it from. I have been dreading it but got to do it sometime. Per microsloth I did something and it trashed the registry.
Old 06-29-2007 | 02:12 AM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Thanks I'm actually driving out, probably going to meet up with Dfastest also while I'm there. Should be an interesting day or two in Vegas.
Old 06-29-2007 | 02:29 AM
elzergone
Pro

Cliff, thank you so much for this thread; the pictures and stories are priceless!

If its not too much trouble, I'd love to see scans of the rest of that Eurosport article on your car!

Quick Reply: 931 Titanium Vavles - Is there a demand?