Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

timing belt rant

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 03:47 PM
sillbeer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing belt rant

I just wanted to share. Im doing the belts and rollers on my 83. I had noticed a while back that the a/c and alt pulley wobbles as it spins. So, I get under the car and take the starter off. Then im looking for this 5mm machined groove in flywheel for the alignment at the bottom of the bellhousing. it's not there. I find the thin line and the OT so I have to go with that. My clutch and flywheel says sachs on them. was sachs OE equipment? or have they been replaced? the flywheel lock didnt fit either. the teeth fit, but the bolt holes dont line up. the lock would only allow one bolt, but not both at the same time. so, i just locked the flywheel and tightened down the one bolt. I get the power steering pulley off and Im taking the alt pulley off. I ended up snapping two of the 4 bolts in the balance belt gear on the crank. uuuggghhhh. $47 from pelican....geez..I can only hope the rest of the job goes this smooth Not to mention, its 100 degrees at 1am when im doing this! good ole phoenix! //end rant
Old 06-23-2007, 04:05 PM
hpservertech
Pro

Feel your pain man! Just finishing up mine. Luckily I have a garage with a decent fan. But I almost have the wife convenced to let me get an AC for the garage. lol
Old 06-30-2007, 05:23 PM
sillbeer
Pro

UPDATE// I got the new balance belt gear. WOW. its a hefty piece. Its different from the one I took off. this one has 8 points for the pulley, not just 4 like the origional. also, these arent blind holes: they go all the way through. Anyhow, I got the belts on, I rotated the engine twice, then backed it up 1.5 teeth and checked the tension. The cam belt seems pretty easy, but the balance belt seems tight, even though I checked it with the krikit like 4 times. the cam belt is sitting at 4.0, and the balance belt is about 3.5-4.0 or so. the old balance belt was loose enough to the point that it was hitting the water pump roller! is there a way to know if they are too tight? will they whine? this is my first belt job on the porsche and I dont want to scew it up. I did the belts on my prelude but all you had to do was change the belt and release the tension on the tensioner and you dont have to worry about it for another 110,000 miles lol.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:41 PM
Instructor

A quick check for your Balance Shaft Belt Tension...
Take the Belt midway in the longest "run" of the belt, and attempt to turn it 90 degrees...with two fingers!
If it will turn a little less than 90 degrees, the tension is about right... if it turns more than 90, too loose.
Then check it against Porsche specs via the "Gauge"... you will be amazed at how close this is!
Yes, it will "whine" if too tight, but that is not a good way to find out it's too tight!!!
Old 06-30-2007, 10:59 PM
sillbeer
Pro

thanks for the reply! I'll check that today when I get back to it. I could rotate both by hand 90 degrees, but I remember the cam belt being a bit harder to turn than the balance belt.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:54 AM
sillbeer
Pro

OK,I cranked up the car and man was it whining!! It subsided a little bit after a couple of minutes but it was still pretty bad. I think it was the balance belt thats too tight. I guess I'll just back it off a bit then re check the tension? I let the car run for about 10 minutes and it was loud as ****
Old 07-02-2007, 04:15 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

The 'book' says to put the BS belt at 27 lbs tension. But that always makes it whine! I put my BS belts at around 20 lbs and they hardly whine. Sometimes I don't even check the tension, and just leave the belt where it is still slightly flappy but mostly slack-free. If that belt ever snaps, it's no big deal anyway. about 10k miles on our 944 with a low-tension BS belt. About 3k miles on my 968 with the same low-tension on the BS belt.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:17 AM
sillbeer
Pro

thanks FR! Im gonna back it off in a few minutes...I gotta let it cool off. Its already hot enough outside. weather channel says 95 degrees but "feels like 91" lol gotta love az!
Old 07-02-2007, 05:13 AM
sillbeer
Pro

Right on...I loosened the TB and BB up a little bit. Now the BB was as loose as the old one was! I thought the old one was too loose! Before the belt change, I remembered a very slight whine at idle, which was barely audible unless the hood was up. Now it sounds the same as before. Maybe the next time I check the tension I can have Jeremy Himsel take a look at it with me. Im sure he has TONS more experience than I do on these.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:53 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Err.. How I did it, and how I've alwasy heard it recommended before was, 90 degree twist on timing, and 180 degree twist on balance (EDIT- Checked clarks and it looks like balance and tension should both be same tension). balance belt should be much looser than timing belt.

Also another piece of information in this thread is incorrect. If the balance belt ever falls off or snaps, you are likely screwed. It has a very good possibility of catching in your timing belt somehwere, pulling it through one of it's pullies and snapping or throwing your timing belt.

Good luck.

PS: www.clarks-garage.com has the procedure for hand tensioning, as well as porsche tool tensioning, and the kricket too I believe. They also have all the tension specs.

Last edited by Yabo; 07-02-2007 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:02 AM
PowerTechParts
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

If the balance belt snaps it can be a big deal. What could happen is the belt gets in between the timing belt and the rollers and then there goes your motor.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:57 PM
sillbeer
Pro

thanks guys! The balance shaft belt is pretty loose. I havent checked the twist method but I can say that its def. not any looser than it was before. Its strange to me. I did my Honda's timing belt and it also uses twin balance shafts but they are run off of the timing belt. And that thing is TIGHT. I noticed that there were marks on the water pump pulley from where the BS belt was slapping against it! Not too sure thats supposed to happen but, if I try and make the belt any tighter it whines! thanks again!
Old 07-02-2007, 02:10 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

you should have it tight enough that by hand, it takes some force to turn it 90 degrees. You want it this tight w/ the whine cuz its gonna stretch, and if its already loose, itll come off.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:06 PM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I always adjust to a slight whine and as the belt stretches it goes away. I actually adjusted the last balance belt while the engine was running. Nifty trick and it worked great but not for the faint of heart. I would have been really mad at myself had I blown the timing belt while monkeying around like that.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:06 PM
PowerTechParts
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

YOU DO NOT WANT THE BELT TIGHT!! If it whines its to tight and loosen it. Yes it is tru it will stretch but that is why you retension everything.

The belt does slap against the water pump pulley. There is a kit that is made to prevent the belt from slapping.

Quick Reply: timing belt rant