Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrong water pump from Paragon Products?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 02:49 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wrong water pump from Paragon Products?

Just found my receipt from last June I bought a new water pump from Paragon for 235 U.S looks like they changed their prices now. The pump ordered is 951 105 02 1.10 and is suppose to be for my 85.5 944 and says for 944 83-88. turbo style pump.

anyways I believe Paragon sent me the 2.7 l and 3 L S2 pump which I have installed on my car and I believe that it's the source of my timing belt creeping over the camshaft gear. The lip on this wp pulley seems too far away even with teh belt creeping over the gear the belt is still not touching the wp pulley lip.

Also I looked at the paragon pictures of the products and I have the wp with the shiny gold pulley on it which is the pic for the S2 / 2.7l water pump.

The new turbo wp I ordered has a different pic all gray no shiny pulley.

I guess when I remove my wp I'll know for sure as I'd think the part number is stamped on the water pump.

I'm kind of pissed as I didn't plan on doing the water pump twice in 1 one year and now I don't even know if they'll give me a refund or exhange for the proper pump.

this is the picture of the 2.7l and s2 pump which looks like what I have with the gold pulley.

and now this is the picture of the turbo pump which I had ordered. all gray.

are these pictures accurate? could the turbo wp really have the gold pulley and have the lip so far away?

I'm also wondering if mabye Paragon just has bad wps, as the new ones are aftermarket.
Old 06-16-2007, 03:06 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

turbo one as far as I know, has the gold pulley. that is a turbo water pump.

it will work, put it on, and pump your water in peace.
Old 06-16-2007, 03:15 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

no it is already on and the timing belt is traveling to the front and getting about a mm or 2 over teh camshaft gear.

all the other gears are on correct. I noticed that the water pump pulley lip is still not making contact with the timing belt even when it is going over the camshaft which doesn't look good.

it's either the wrong pump or just a crappy aftermarket water pump from Paragon. The new pumps from paragon are made by Laso which is not OEM
Old 06-16-2007, 03:21 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure. I think mine had a gold colored pulley on the turbo style pump.. could be wrong. Call them and ask them to compare the s2 and the regular one next to each othe ran dlet you know if they are different.
Old 06-16-2007, 03:25 PM
Cass944
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any pumps i have ever put on all had a gold pulley, and i've put them on just about every type of 944/51/24 engines there are.
Old 06-16-2007, 03:30 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

really?

but is it normal for the water pump pulley lip to be like 4 mm away from the belt when the belt has already travelled a mm or so over teh camshaft gear?

I would think the lip on the water pump should make contact with the belt before the it can travel over?

if not then what is the purpose of the lip on the waterpump? to prevent the belt from fully falling off?

if this is the correct water pump then I'll have to look into buying another one from a different manufacturer maybe a rebuild one from the dealer and hopefully that one has the lip not as far away.
Old 06-16-2007, 03:35 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

I'll take a picture of what I mean today.

I'm taking the belts off anyways because the lower balance shaft seal seems leaking
Old 06-16-2007, 03:40 PM
Cass944
Drifting

i've never seen the belt creep off the cam gear, it usually sits flush with the edge. and the belt usually doesn't touch the lip. or at least not that i remember. it seems like it might actually be something else.... maybe theres something you dropped between the rear belt cover and the engine? and its making the cover actually touch the belt. did you trim the new holes in the cover to make sure the updated water pump fits int here right? you have to cut the hole for the pump pulley a little larger, then you also need to cot 2 quarter sized holes for the new bracket that bolts to the pump.
Old 06-16-2007, 03:49 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

yes I did the cover is definately not touching the belt or the water pump roller. I also have teh crankshaft timing gear facing the correct way to stop the timing belt but I would think the water pump needs to stop the belt from traveling also.

all the rollers and the camshaft and cranshaft gears were also replaced with new ones from the dealer

I also took the car to a porsche shop to check the tension and they checked it over and tensioned it and said it was fine.

is the belt suppose to stay in the centre without the water pump pulley lip making any contact?
Old 06-16-2007, 04:03 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Take a picture. Which way is it off the timing gear? I think the only way that can happen is not having the spacer for the timing belt tensioner pulley, which will cause the belt to be too close to the engine. The waterpump pulley only keeps the belt from going away from the engine. All 2.5 N/A use the turbo pump just like the headgaskets.
Old 06-16-2007, 04:10 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

no the belt is not moving towards the belt cover.

The belt is going over away from the engine and the crankshaft timing gear has the lip facing the right way.

only thing I can think of is that maybe the camshaft gear needed a spacer? the crankshaft gear is too far away ?

these two are very unlikely.

but what is noticable is that the water pump lip is still far off when the belt is going over.

I'lll post pics later on today to make it more clear.

thanks.
Old 06-16-2007, 04:25 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

did you call paragon and ask?
Old 06-16-2007, 06:47 PM
tomrc
Pro

If it's not too late start the car and watch the belt, check to see if one of the rollers are wobbling or you might be able to see where it's turning in and out on the rollers. Seems odd that the water pump would cause it, I would think at best it might help prevent it. Mine sits about 2mm inside the water pump lip and is flush with the cam pulley. Take a look at the tensioner roller and make sure that is seated properly, it might be easier to watch it while the engine is running.

Any signs that the timing belt is rubbing the balance belt?
Old 06-16-2007, 08:01 PM
KY944S
Instructor

Chek your belt tensioning roller bolt and make sure it isn't bent, split or cracked. I've seen where the early cars botl would fail.

Time for more beer on my part
Old 06-16-2007, 09:21 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

my timing belt tensioner is the manual tensioner (85.5) and it is not a bolt but a stud and a nut to fasten it.

the stud doesnt' seem bent and the tensioner is not rubbing on anything and is seated properly I also did not put any spacers behind the tensioner.

well the only two things I see that could prevent the belt from running towards the front are the water pump / the cranshaft gear.

if the crankshaft gear is not gone back far enought I think that would bring the belt forward on the camshaft gear but I don't see why that would happen it was all done correctly.

and no none of the belts are rubbing against each other, the belts don't look damaged at all and there is no belt shavings or anything in the belt area / cover.

Quick Reply: Wrong water pump from Paragon Products?