Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ot:::: I hope my 944 sells

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 11:07 AM
Shabba
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I got all you guys beat. I was riding a bicycle at 17, uphhill, in a blizzard, everyday to school. When I got to school, I was beaten by each and every teacher before class AND made to eat cafeteria food.

Ok really, I'm glad to hear the OP is working at 17. When I see kids working at the mall on a saturday or sunday and they are high school age, it's a good thing to see that they either have that work ethic or their parents have told them "work or no car". Personally, my parents made me buy my first car (a 1965 Mustang convertible with a 289) with my savings. Thye then helped me restore it (lent me the money to buy the parts so my father and I could put it back together) and then told me that as long as I held down a job, they would pay the insurance and would help with gas if I would take my sister to school everyday (school was a 20 mile drive...I lived in the North Georgia boonies). 16 years later, I still draw on that experience and value what my parents taught me. My point is that I can appreciate that you are working and attempting to do the right thing by learning and earning.

That said, I must agree with the majority of folks on here that say an s2000 or WRX is a long stretch for anyone. I won't down you for getting it if your parents buy it for you. That's fine if your parents have the money and are willing to let a 17 year old have a relatively expensive car, but I think they would be doing you a disservice if they do that. And let's face it, your parents will HAVE to help you buy one of those cars and insure it. If you are still in school nad can only work part time, you will NOT make enough to pay for the car/insurance/gas/misc. expenses that come with owning a car like that. It took me until my late 20's/early 30's before I was able to afford a WRX and my current 350Z. And that's BARELY affording it.

I've taken too long so I'll just say to you good luck. I really hope you make a good, educated decision and show some maturity in your thinking. You are already a step ahead in that you are working so kudos to you.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:59 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I guess this isn't going to OT.

You make it sound like your young age should explain or justify your preference in cars. Your preference is only dictated by your personality - if you like subarus then good for you. I like 944s, so good for me.

Though, one could say, since you say you want a subaru because you're 17, it seems as though subarus are meant for kids.

All specs and stats aside, the wrx is the ugliest car in production. Oh yeah, and our 944 has only broken down twice, and my 968 never has.

Good luck with whichever decision you make, and buy whatever makes you happy.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:19 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

I have a WRX, nice enough car, but it has plusses and minuses like any other car. If you have a regular 5 spd WRX (i.e. not STI), be careful with hard launches...

If I could only keep one car (dollar value being removed from the equation) between the 'Rex and the 944, I would pick the 944 for the character.

Reliability is very much dependent on the way the car has been maintained. After 20 years, there are a lot of items that should be refreshed and often haven't - and I'm not just thinking of all the obvious stuff. A well-sorted 944 is a reliable car.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:42 PM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

I also have had an 04 Mazda 3 (new) it was in the shop 5 times.
My 05 GTI has had lots of issues, most of em I just deal with.

My 944 was way more reliable than my new cars.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:37 AM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...beat you guys....at 14 I bought my first car...a 1973 Pontiac Ventura......shazaaam!

What a piece of ****.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:08 AM
Gremlin85
Racer

My first car was a low mileage 1988 Mercury Cougar. It was the touring V6 model and ****e brown in color. But I loved that car and miss it to this day. My inexperience lead me to totaling it into a large boulder... that car did not handle at all.

I always liked Subaru. In fact, right after i totaled my Cougar and before I bought my Lumina Z34 I had an 8? Subau with the spare tire mounted on top of the engine. It was a rust bucket and leaked fuel.

My point is, you don't NEED a brand new car or those expenses that come with them. Yes, if you are like I was and didn't look over the car you purchase then you might get stuck with a lemon and dump some money into it... BUT, taking your time and looking at things that matter can get you a really well maintained and reliable used car.

Thats where the 944 comes in. Most (not all) have been maintained very well and if you keep up on that maitenence than you have yourself one hell of a classic 80's ride. The 944 is timeless and just plain fun to drive. I've test driven many a car and I always have the 944 in the back if my mind. It's my bench-mark for any other car.

Good luck on you sale.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:30 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was riding a motorcycle at the age of 15 1/2. I got my license when I was 16 but I was driving a 96 Neon Auto. It was slow as ****. I later when I was around 17 got the 924S that didn't run, but after about 2,000 it was a rock solid car. I have had a few break downs 2 include running out of gas my fault. The other one was from the DME being bad. Other then that I have just done stuff to make it run better. The car burns oil when I get on it, but other that it runs great. Keep oil and gas in it and it runs like a champ. My dads 944 which I want very badly runs great and has never had problems with it really. S2000 may be quick, but lacks any kind of torque. If I was you look into a 944 turbo or get a Acura Legend. With a few mods they can be made pretty quick.

Quick Reply: Ot:::: I hope my 944 sells