Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ot:::: I hope my 944 sells

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 04:59 PM
greenshoes3
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how about you get the facts straight sir. I am the ONLY one of my friends that has a job in my stupid neighborhood where parents buy their kids what they want. I'm the only one that I know that has to spend his own money on whatever he gets. I have saved up all year for something. I love my car, but I just cant be paying to fix something every month.

Originally Posted by bloodraven
Basically, here is what I see.

Spoiled rich kid whose mommy and daddy will buy him whatever his friends mandate he have.

And you want a car that has good launches? You, my friend, are still looking the wrong place. Go 60's muscle car for that. I'm sure daddy will not touch your inheritance money for one of those either...

Also, your age driving an S2k? Well, I guess it won't be you paying the insurance either....
Old 06-17-2007, 05:00 PM
greenshoes3
Pro

Originally Posted by WizPorsche944
Im wondering why this guy even started a post like this here. He had to know he was going to get pelted with insults and criticism. I hope someone will buy his car that actually wants to own a piece of Porsche history and not some mass produced Rice Rocket. Because 99.9 % of teenage kids love Rice .
i hate rice.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:01 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd take a wrx or s2000 over a 944 because I'd sell it for more and then buy a nice 951, 968 or 928.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:03 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Originally Posted by greenshoes3
how about you get the facts straight sir. I am the ONLY one of my friends that has a job in my stupid neighborhood where parents buy their kids what they want. I'm the only one that I know that has to spend his own money on whatever he gets. I have saved up all year for something. I love my car, but I just cant be paying to fix something every month.

well you must have a really good job at 17, I'm 21 go to school and even when I work full time I can't afford a s2000 or wrx unless I finance it for a few years which I don't want to do.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:59 PM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

You hate rice yet want a S2K or WRX? Both Asian made cars. Funny. Your concepts are weird to understand.

I hope you're the one that gets the WRX, tries to impress 20 friends by reving to 5k and dumping it. You'll learn soon. All cars have their problems. The WRX tranny isn't good for much power, unless you swap with an STi tranny and shorter 5th and 6th gears. Trust me, I know the whole WRX deal. Friend had one for a year or so, I have worked on them. Most items are a bitch to do compared to 944 work. Have fun installing your catless perrin up-pipe if you ever get the car and the pipe!

Evo? Have fun replacing the clutch, since they generally last 10k miles if the user is fairly hard on it periodically. Also have fun worrying about your crank walking away. 4G63's can handle some power, but not without some money. If your so dead set on AWD Turbo, look at an evo. Lots more power to be made then the WRX, and for 4 grand, you can be pulling Z06 Vettes. Then again, if you feel the need to post this type of question here, I doubt you'll be smart enough to have the right things done so your motor can rev to 10.5k safely and pump out 600hp on race gas. I'm just speaking rom experience to you, you'd be better off to get a 951...if you hate ricers so much.

If it's made in an ASIAN country, or it's origins are there, it can be/will be/is considered rice. Period. Also, it's nice having mommy and daddy cover your head at night, isn't it? If you plan to take out a loan from the bank, your rates will be somewhat high and you will have to think about housing, as you will be paying on the car for some years to come. Look at what your future expenses will be. My friend with the Evo pays 10 more a month then his old WRX, pays his own insurance...but still has mom/dads roof over his head. He is modding his car, but also knows to equate housing into his expenses. You might have a different outlook on what car you can get once you realize what you might have to sart paying for if mommy and daddy make you. If they don't, then be happy taking care of just the car payment. Let us know what you get, how it is, and how much cooler you are to the asian kids at school because you rep their homeland car!
Old 06-17-2007, 06:04 PM
Reimu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do hope you're not getting a loan or whatever. I know 20-something guys my age that are still trying to fix things after buying cars like that at such a young age. But its worth it, at least your friends will think you're cool.

I have nothing against other cars, I'm not some guy that thinks you should only be driving a 944. A kid at my school had his parents buy (and he'll be paying some off) a '03 or something wrx. Its really not that great. I paid a fraction for the 944, and pay a LOT less on insurance. I also get a lot more "street cred," just because its a Porsche. I really don't understand why this thread was made either... there's no real topic.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:21 PM
WizPorsche944
Three Wheelin'

My opinion anything from Japan is Rice
Old 06-17-2007, 06:33 PM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

Mmmm... I test drove a wrx, and an evo.

AWD was fun I guess.
I drove my 944 when I was 17 - put 60k miles on it, only replaced a DME relay and a halfshaft.

My 951 will rape either of the aformentioned cars, while I won't be pulling new Z06s, I have less than 1/4 the price of a new evo in it.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:29 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,338 Likes on 495 Posts

Food for thought.......before you jump into a jap car.

1.had a 2004 WRX....wasn't impressed, sold the wrx and my 944
2.got an 05' STI....much better but no style and guzzled gas, thats with 380hp and throwing 2ft flames out the back, great car, but felt dead as far as a drivers car. Handled great and was a very quick car.
3.Sold the Sti hopped in an 06 Audi A3 2.0T 6peed...excellent commuter car...good solid feel, classy ,great looks and excell on gas. 30+ mpg
4.Just bought an 82 911 SC w/ 3.2L Euro Eng., gutted it out, fiberglass front end, turbo brakes, race suspension.....and am very very happy, a Porsche is a drivers car hands down....it allows you to feel where the car is going, yes I do miss the Sti it was a great car but it felt dead. It isn't my 944 that I still have dreams about but its better in my mind, it has the acceleration that the 944 didn't have. If you dont want to feel a connection with the road by all means by a jap car.

BTW I was in the market for a 951/911 but found this car at a great steal and it was halfway setup for the track.

If you are so harped on getting a Japanese car because its new and has a few more creature comforts do it and maybe it'll be what you want but it will never have that feel or shall I say connection that the 944 has for the road. Don't make my mistake because it only led me crying back to an 80's Porsche.

I had an early 85 944, gutted, 951 nose, fiberglass rear bumper,17" cup2s, custom exhaust and a whole bunch of other stuff. DON'T DO IT....YOU MAY REGRET IT.
FROM THIS......

To These...............MUCH BETTER.

Old 06-17-2007, 09:07 PM
Catfood
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

carbon: my 944S is creeping up to comparison in speed to the 944S built by JG porsche. I purchased an exhaust header from him, ported and polished my head and also chipped the dang thing. As well as weight reduction. It is as fast as an S2 if not faster. It will beat a WRX in a straight line, but then again thats not really that important to me.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:20 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

lol, not everything from Japan is "rice"

I don't really like Japanese cars but they make good daily drivers and most are reliable and cheaper to maintain than German cars.

The subaru wrx sti, mazda rx7, nissan 350Z, Infinit G35 are some Jap cars I'd consider getting.

none would be my "dream car" but they are still good cars

The porsche 944 is also not my dream car lol I'd rather have a 911 turbo or a 928 GTS.

I'd say a Subaru is not a bad choice. A new Subaru will be more reliable than the 944 and if you can afford to pay for it it will be a great daily driver for a young kid.

The thing is don't go spending more money than you have.......you don't want to be paying for a wrx for the next 5 years and have no money for nothing else and what if you lose your job or can't afford it anymore?
Old 06-17-2007, 11:38 PM
GTSilver944
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

I want an s2000 or wrx baddd… how about you get the facts straight sir. I am the ONLY one of my friends that has a job in my stupid neighborhood where parents buy their kids what they want. I'm the only one that I know that has to spend his own money on whatever he gets.
You want a reliable yet very fast car. More specifically, you want a wrx or an S2000 baddd. Reliable and fast seem to be contradictory terms, especially on a 17 year old’s budget. You have been saving up money all year doing work, a hard concept to understand in your neighborhood, just as you said. I just hate it mumsy and pops make you live in such a pampered area. I’m glad that you are above your spoiled friends by working.

You are somehow going to translate those savings and your 4-5k 944 into a $20,000+ car, without any backing whatsoever from mother and father dearest? Then there will be the issue of insuring your 17 year old self, and maintenance on your new-ish car. As you said, maintenance on your 944 is a problem. Instead of getting a sensible and reliable car, you choose the sportiest of Japanese newer cars. Hmmm… per month, I wonder if the loan, difference between the insurance rate of both cars, or maintenance for your newer sports car will cost more than the seemingly troublesome monthly maintenance on the 944 that is presumably already paid for?

I wish I could somehow have both
Oh, but wait, I think you figured it out – you could keep both cars. That solves everything, especially the fact that you hope your 944 sells, as you no longer think it is fast or cheap enough.

i hate rice.
Really, may I ask what you want baddd?

My advice is to sell the 944 and buy the S2000 or wrx and eventually move out of your parents house to college or whatever suits your wants. The lesson that everyone here has been trying to teach you will then magically appear.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:14 AM
Lumbergs Lackey....MmmmKay
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 19 Posts

17 years old and the word QUICK should not be used in the same sentence. It almost always, always, always ends badly for you or some poor schmuck who ends up at the end of your young brains failure to understand the laws of physics.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:54 AM
944 crazy
Instructor

Im 17, and own two 944's with my brother but ones for sale... 1 thing you need to learn though; if you take care of your car it will take care of you. That being said, i hope you mkae the right choice and stick with the German cars.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:46 AM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Mmm, nothing like armchair racing in a tech forum.

I move for a mod to close this.

Quick Reply: Ot:::: I hope my 944 sells