Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car on Jackstand pics / questions (oil pan removal)

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 10:30 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Car on Jackstand pics / questions (oil pan removal)

Finally got the car on jackstands. The rear is on ramps the front is on 6 ton motomaster jackstands I got from Canadian tire. they go much higher than the tiny 2 ton jackstands I had in teh pics you can see that my 2 ton jackstands fully extended don't even come close to touching the car and the 6 ton jackstands are not fully extended.

I want to make sure if this setupd looks safe to get under. Pretty sure the jackstands in the front are in the proper locations. The frame rails are dented in some spots but don't think they would collapse.

Also the bricks / wood I have setup are just in case teh jackstands fail and are not supporting the car. Not sure if the bricks would hold I just had them laying around my house so I used them and i put a board of wood on top of the bricks almost touching the car, it's under where you would jack the car up with the floor jack.

I think I"ll have to get 2 more 6 ton jackstand to put under the crossmember so it doesn't fall on my head when I remove it.

I'm ordering a engien support from ebay and I'm still not sure how to properly support the engien from above. I found those engien support rings but can't these rings break off? like if the botls are rusty they can just snap off with the weight.

also I noticed that the bolts on top of the exhaust side engine mount is right under the exhaust manifold so does the exhaust manifold have to come out?

also what special tools do I need? I already printed the clarks instructions and I'm reading them over it and also reading the haynes manual. Clarks says you need a tie rod separator.

I'll probably need to ask a lot of questions to do this job as it doesn't look easy at all, I don't have much experience working on cars and the only thing I've done on the 944 is replace the water pump / timing belt which took me a really long time to complete.

Old 05-27-2007, 10:55 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

also now I'm not 100% sure if it is my oil pan leaking I did find one spot on my oil pan gasket that was bulging out but nwo I see oil on the exhaust side fo the oil pan and I also see oil above the oil pan like on teh oil filter housing.

not sure if I should still replace my oil pan gasket, it probably still needs replacing as it's bulging out in one spot but does bulging out always mean leaking also?

so now the oil filter housing may be leaking also? or maybe the oil filter isn't on tight enough but I got it as tight as I coudl with my hand and it doesn't usually leak like that.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:02 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

Good lord, that car isn't going ANYWHERE...

The engine support rings are fine to hang the motor by. That's how the thing was installed in the factory. Just looking at the size of the bolt holding it to the block should be assurance enough that it won't break. If you're still not sure, you can find some grade-8 bolts of the same size at Home Depot.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:08 PM
bloodraven
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DAMN! You were afraid of that thing falling....yeah, that isn't falling...if it does...I wouldn't be scared a bit....
Old 05-27-2007, 11:11 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say your set up looks quite safe. The only thing I would check is to make sure the balance point of the car is such that it will not tip forward if a jackstand was removed (the fulcrum must be forward of the diamond indent on the rocker panel). You can always throw some weight in the hatch as a precaution. The blocks are plenty strong enough the way you are using them. As for holding up the engine, I don't think you need to worry too much about the eye lift points. A little surface rust isn't going to weaken them. I made a cradle from 2x4's that went from shock tower to shock tower and then used some heavy duty nylon rope to loop around the engine mount points. If you do end up pulling the pan, you might want to replace con-rod bearings while your in there....
Old 05-27-2007, 11:32 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

lol I thought about the possibility of the car tipping over if the jack stands failed which I would think is very unlikely, they are rated at 12,000 pounds but I guess anything is possible.

with the car havign 50/50 weight distribution I would think it's not very likely it can tip over. The stacks of bricks are closer to the rear but they are past the middle of the diamond point on both sides.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:36 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

is it safe to run the engin eith teh car up on jackstand in the front? I want to wash and clean the underside with with engine degreaser as there is oil and grease everywehre, on the steering rack, around teh oil filter housing, under the oil pan so I'm not even 100 % sure where most of the oil is coming from. I thought the vibration from the engien with the car on jack stands might be a bad thing.

could be a powersteering leak but the power steering fluid wasn't too low, could be a oil cooler leak I guess, or a oil pan leak.

If the oil pan is just slightly leaking I dont' want to replace it right now as it's a lot of work but my motor mounts also need replacing.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:45 PM
82-T/A
Racer

Originally Posted by Yummybud924
is it safe to run the engin eith teh car up on jackstand in the front? I want to wash and clean the underside with with engine degreaser as there is oil and grease everywehre, on the steering rack, around teh oil filter housing, under the oil pan so I'm not even 100 % sure where most of the oil is coming from. I thought the vibration from the engien with the car on jack stands might be a bad thing.

could be a powersteering leak but the power steering fluid wasn't too low, could be a oil cooler leak I guess, or a oil pan leak.

If the oil pan is just slightly leaking I dont' want to replace it right now as it's a lot of work but my motor mounts also need replacing.

I've always wondered the same thing about nearly every car I've had. The three newest cars we have in the house are our 2006 Solstice, the 2004 VW Beetle Convertible, and the 2002 Crown Victoria. All of their engine bays are spotless. But all of the older cars we own have oil all over the engine bay... or at least did when I first got them. The only one that still has oil EVERYWHERE is my Porsche.

Todd
Old 05-27-2007, 11:50 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

Running it on jackstands is fine...especially those lobsterclaws you have holding up your car.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:02 AM
chrly924s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We don't use that many blocks to put up a mobile home down here!!
Old 05-28-2007, 12:07 AM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

I figured this would be a good thread to say I was under my 944 wrenching on some stupid bolt that wouldn't come off, and one of the jackstands moved. A lot. The car dropped a little, maybe an inch.
Needless to say I am a little more careful now.

Your setup - yeah, that is fine. Overkill even.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:17 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For the record, I am only using 4 of the smaller 2ton jackstands to hold up my car for the 5months its been on blocks. No issues yet.

But yeah, that setup is safe. You would really be fine sticking the two smaller ones on the rear and then pulling all the bricks and ramps out. It is always a good idea to try shaking the car off the stands (not full force, but give it a good shove) before you do anything with the car on the stands. I've had a couple of times where as I'm jacking up one or the other side a stand will move or start to tip, so the pushing will make that pretty obvious.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:26 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

well I did try and shove it and it's feels solid couldn't move it at all.

the two ton jack stands I had had a full height of only 16 inches. These 6 ton jackstands have a minimum heigh tof 15 inches so the two tons I had wouldn't even get the car high enough to replace an oil pan. The 6 ton stands I got look huge in comparison to my 2 tons which is a good thing, they were also only 45 bucks on sale.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:28 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The car does not need to be level while on jackstands, if that is your reason for not using the smaller ones. As long as they are all on a good mounting point you should be fine with having the rear lower than the front.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:31 AM
Hoss Ghoul
Instructor

Originally Posted by chrly924s
We don't use that many blocks to put up a mobile home down here!!
Lol, I don't think that car would fall off if you hit it with an RPG...

Quick Reply: Car on Jackstand pics / questions (oil pan removal)