Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

suspension time...Bilstien HD or Koni Yellows

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 04:06 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by J Silverman
That didnt come out as I had intended. I should have said: The reason that everyone in 944 spec uses the Koni yellows as opposed to the bilsteins is because they can handle the spring rates that everyone is running. If the bilsteins could handle 400#/30mm bars people would use them. They are just as readily available, cost less, in my experience last longer, and side by side will have a slight edge on twin tube konis. THe only downside is that they arent adjustable, but adjustability is one more thing for me to mess up! I prefer the bilsteins, but Ill be running 944 cup as a spec car, so konis it is. Im just trying to find someone that can dyno match them before they sell them to me.

The Koni's must be stock off the shelf (just as the Bilstein HD's) to be legal in class. No revalving is allowed. The idea is to keep the playing field level by not allowing some one to do special things with these shocks not easily available to every other racer.

I consider Koni's very similar to Toyo's. Neither are the absoute peaks in performance, but they have some nice traits other than pure speed that are nice. Plus everyone is limited in the same way so it is the same for all.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:29 PM
fork_included
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
The Koni's must be stock off the shelf (just as the Bilstein HD's) to be legal in class. No revalving is allowed. The idea is to keep the playing field level by not allowing some one to do special things with these shocks not easily available to every other racer.

I consider Koni's very similar to Toyo's. Neither are the absoute peaks in performance, but they have some nice traits other than pure speed that are nice. Plus everyone is limited in the same way so it is the same for all.
exactly

but again what me and silverman are saying is that if the Bilstein HD's were valved similary to the Yellows then they would in fact be superior

however the Bilstein HD (heavy duty) shock has different objectives than a Koni Yellow, it is there to be mated with OEM spring rate and height (hence the longer shaft of an HD) they would offer better control and comfort than a Koni yellow, which (due to its immense rebound adjustability range) has too stiff a compression setting for city driving.

It is a shame that Bilstein does not make their Sport versions for Porsche (which i find suprising).

but i think we are all in understanding now... i hope
Old 08-22-2007, 05:04 PM
Tommy928
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Yellow Koni with 250 springs for over 10 years and they still work fine. Firm, control, and yet very nice ride. No quality issues what so ever.

I have Bilstein on my 928 and I would not do that again; little control on the initial .25" travel and lack of control overall. The Bilstein reminded me of the KYB I had on my Toyota from 30 years ago.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:00 PM
J Silverman
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy928
The Bilstein reminded me of the KYB I had on my Toyota from 30 years ago.
If youre talking about the KYB GR2 that makes sense because both are high pressure monotube designs. Most people tend to feel the koni is more comfy on the street, but I like the direct feeling given by the bilsteins. Shocks really are a preference, I prefer bilstein.

Quick Reply: suspension time...Bilstien HD or Koni Yellows