Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing Belt Idler Pulley Torque Spec

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 02:43 PM
SalzundPfeffer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Timing Belt Idler Pulley Torque Spec

I pulled the front cover off my engine for the first time this past weekend to check for a front balance shaft seal leak and I discovered that the idler pulley had fallen off the front of the engine. While it was doing this, it pushed the balance shaft belt off its track where it lay nested at the bottom of the cover. How my timing belt was not involved, I don't know. I was going to take a pic of the carnage that I found when I opened up the cover, but my wife "hid" the cameras. I couldn't find one...The picture below explains everything.

Anyway, I have purchased new hardware, and I wanted to make sure that I fasten the bolt for the idler pulley correctly and wanted to know if anyone had the torque spec on it. Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-bp

'84 944 N/A
Attached Images  
Old 08-22-2007, 03:10 PM
spieln
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe it is 33ftlbs.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:23 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

Originally Posted by SalzundPfeffer
I pulled the front cover off my engine for the first time this past weekend to check for a front balance shaft seal leak and I discovered that the idler pulley had fallen off the front of the engine. While it was doing this, it pushed the balance shaft belt off its track where it lay nested at the bottom of the cover. How my timing belt was not involved, I don't know. I was going to take a pic of the carnage that I found when I opened up the cover, but my wife "hid" the cameras. I couldn't find one...The picture below explains everything.

Anyway, I have purchased new hardware, and I wanted to make sure that I fasten the bolt for the idler pulley correctly and wanted to know if anyone had the torque spec on it. Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-bp

'84 944 N/A
Same thing happened to me a month ago, the pulley got stuck and was shewed by the balance belt and the screw jammed itself at the top and melted the cover !! The balance belt was damaged but no harm done to the engine

I guess we live under a good star
Old 08-22-2007, 09:41 PM
SalzundPfeffer
Instructor

Thanks guys.

Any harm in using a little locktite?
Old 08-22-2007, 10:51 PM
Stien
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's always such a good feeling to catch these things before they wreck your life.
When I went to replace my belts I found that my balance belt idler bearing was shot and the roller was slowly melting.
I know my car more than I ever had hoped lol.
I would recommend against loctite because it will be a PITA getting off next time. Once properly torqued, it shouldn't give you any trouble.

Quick Reply: Timing Belt Idler Pulley Torque Spec