Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

non turbo to turbo? can it be done?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008 | 12:48 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Sid, what do you mean by "crossover non existant?"
Old 05-06-2008 | 01:18 PM
blown 944
Race Car

well I guess that would pertain to some of the "trick" 951's where the turbo is where the passenger headlight would normally be. I am only talking about "HIGH HP" cars here not "350 hp" more like 450 and over.

In my case the turbo will be where the passenger footwell would normally be under the battery . Hence no crossover.
Old 05-06-2008 | 01:20 PM
blown 944
Race Car

that item would be subjective I suppose
Old 05-06-2008 | 07:48 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

it's possible.

you need these parts:

when I gather enough willpower I will do it and then laugh like a crazy turbo 944 maniac
Old 05-06-2008 | 10:23 PM
Hotshoe
Instructor

Save your time and money and drop in a LS3 crate.

Done!
Old 05-06-2008 | 10:29 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

you don't NEED any of those parts. whats with everyones fascination about the brakes and suspension?

the suspension on my NA is 3x's beastlier than a stock turbos...

but even if you had a stock NA none of that has to be done at all. drop in an engine and have fun with your perfectly capable suspension / brakes.

and when you feel the need to upgrade, do so. you were going to do it anyway right?
Old 05-07-2008 | 09:04 PM
progenitor04
Instructor

o ya it can be done for sure.... but i think its deffinatly not worth it. ur betta off saving up for a 944 turbo..its faster and better
Old 05-08-2008 | 12:26 AM
MrTom
Instructor

I have spent a little bit of time reading on this forum and I have to say I am shocked. Why so much flaming? Is this because the guys poking fun don't actual know? That NEVER happens on forums though. I come from a Volvo forum where its "where there is a will there is a way".

A log manifold kit, MS, downpipe, turbo, oil lines, IC, and hard piping? Are you kidding? You guys suggest buying a whole parts car(or almost all of another car) because of those parts? So Linglefelter looked at the Vettes and was like "man these didn't come turbo leave them alone. Lets tinker with 911T"? Come on.

The con rods can't be toothpicks. You do not NEED 951 parts. Leave the stock manifold on. Get an eBay intercooler. A turbo can be had of anything of appropriate size. SVO ford turbo's are going for nothing online. Oil lines can be bought or fabbed. Megasquirt running wasted spark and fuel would be cherry. Be easy on timing until somebody(ala you) figure out the holding power of NA internals.

Thousands of cars everyday that did not come with turbo's are being turboed. Look at KA-T.org. Quit freaking out over fabrication and word of mouth.

BTW progenitor04, I also live in Massachusetts. 2 mins away from New Beashford. town of Acushnet. My car goes for paint in a week. When it is done we should meat up
Old 05-08-2008 | 01:25 AM
white924s
Rennlist Member

amen...

hell, you don't even really need an intercooler to run a low-boost turbo, which takes out a fair chunk of the cost and packaging complication, particularly for earlier cars which have the welded-on header panel
Old 05-08-2008 | 01:40 AM
brrt50cal
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Campeck
you don't NEED any of those parts. whats with everyones fascination about the brakes and suspension?

the suspension on my NA is 3x's beastlier than a stock turbos...

but even if you had a stock NA none of that has to be done at all. drop in an engine and have fun with your perfectly capable suspension / brakes.

and when you feel the need to upgrade, do so. you were going to do it anyway right?
AMEN. Theres a prevailing pack mentality on this board that if it isn't made by a big name, been tested for thousands of miles, made exactly the same way that someone else made it, it's pure ****. It's no wonder that when someone comes up with a new product for these cars, it costs an arm and a leg.

While I'm at it, I might as well add that people think these cars are above "junkyard" tuning and budget fixes. Like for instance, when a certain member commented about my roller paint job and how "these cars don't deserve that."

Are you F*^%ing kidding me? Did Jesus Himself come down from Heaven and lay hands on every car that Porsche made? They're cars people! It's called "being an elitist without having a reason to be."
Old 05-08-2008 | 01:50 AM
mark_uss
Racer

finnaly some real advices...thanks to all...sheeesh
Old 05-08-2008 | 08:35 AM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MrTom
I have spent a little bit of time reading on this forum and I have to say I am shocked. Why so much flaming? Is this because the guys poking fun don't actual know? That NEVER happens on forums though. I come from a Volvo forum where its "where there is a will there is a way".

A log manifold kit, MS, downpipe, turbo, oil lines, IC, and hard piping? Are you kidding? You guys suggest buying a whole parts car(or almost all of another car) because of those parts? So Linglefelter looked at the Vettes and was like "man these didn't come turbo leave them alone. Lets tinker with 911T"? Come on.

The con rods can't be toothpicks. You do not NEED 951 parts. Leave the stock manifold on. Get an eBay intercooler. A turbo can be had of anything of appropriate size. SVO ford turbo's are going for nothing online. Oil lines can be bought or fabbed. Megasquirt running wasted spark and fuel would be cherry. Be easy on timing until somebody(ala you) figure out the holding power of NA internals.

Thousands of cars everyday that did not come with turbo's are being turboed. Look at KA-T.org. Quit freaking out over fabrication and word of mouth.

BTW progenitor04, I also live in Massachusetts. 2 mins away from New Beashford. town of Acushnet. My car goes for paint in a week. When it is done we should meat up
Why you ask? Because this topic is just behind what oil is best for the most frequently posted threads in this forum. Search is your friend.

BTW, what oil are you using?
Old 05-08-2008 | 01:06 PM
MrTom
Instructor

Hey here we go. Some guys that are not afraid to try something. Glad to see some normals aboard.

Quick Reply: non turbo to turbo? can it be done?