Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

non turbo to turbo? can it be done?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008 | 02:58 PM
MM951
Race Director

I think in 3 pages we could have told him basically how it can be done and wasted a lot less bandwith (thats the issue with reposts/ not searching, right?)

I believe it can be done cheaper then buying a 951 if you want a turbo 944 not a 944 turbo and your car is already in good shape (and you don't abuse it!)

If your car is a late car it should be easier, if not no big deal. At the very least (provided the car is already in good shape) for a late car you'd want

new clutch or 951 bellhousing/flywheel/fork/clutch
new head gasket
turbo oil pan/dipstick and tube
turbo motor mount
complete turbo intake manifold/fuel rail/
turbo intercooler/ pipes/j-boot/afm/ AOS/ venturi delete kit
oil only turbo that will bolt onto the stock 951 x-over
951 cross over pipe/ downpipe/exhaust/ wastegate (you can use n/a manifolds)
oil feed from balance shaft cover or an oil filter sandwich and the required hoses/fittings
951 wiring harness / DME & KLR - chips for setup / knock sensor

of course most people would upgrade brakes etc.. but I think thats about it. Luckily for you I have a lot of those parts as I was going to turbo my n/a before a 951 fell into my lap
Old 05-05-2008 | 03:20 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

as soon as we get another turbo parts car i was planning on running all the externals on the NA bottom end and then just cranking it up just to see what the na block can hold up too.

with an engine management of course.
Old 05-05-2008 | 04:54 PM
pormgb
Racer

Default Non turbo to turbo

Hi all,

I've done this and it works well, I didn't respond too quickly because I didn't want to get flamed.

It was actually quite easy to turbo the NA motor, I bought a turbocharger with all the intake, exhaust piping and stock Wastegate for around $450, I already has a Lindsey Mafterburner and J&S Safeguard, these units would cost around $500.00 used. Some other items I purchased were a Turbosmart Eboost boost controller $240.00 and a LC1 Widebane O2 kit $200, I also have a water injection kit installed.

The car runs really well and I'm only running 5 pounds of boost, I see boost in all gears depending on load.

With regards to is it worth it, that a really sticky subject, I really think it depends on you motivation. If you are looking for a 20% to 30% more power it’s a nice upgrade, but if you want more I would recommend buying a Turbo, you also need to think about how much the car will be worth when sold.

I have done all the work my self and most of my knowledge of AF, fuel pressure and boost came from my supercharger project and work on other cars. If you can’t do the work your self I don’t think it’s worth it, especially if you are relying on external AF/Knock devices. I also have a really nice N/A that I’ve had has for 8 years and have done other upgrades like brakes, sway bars, suspension, my car also has no sun roof.

Last edited by pormgb; 11-07-2012 at 11:59 PM.
Old 05-05-2008 | 06:11 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by pormgb
Hi all,

I've done this and it works well, I didn't respond too quickly because I didn't want to get flamed.

It was actually quite easy to turbo the NA motor, I bought a turbocharger with all the intake, exhaust piping and stock Wastegate for around $450, I already has a Lindsey Mafterburner and J&S Safeguard, these units would cost around $500.00 used. Some other items I purchased were a Turbosmart Eboost boost controller $240.00 and a LC1 Widebane O2 kit $200, I also have a water injection kit installed.

The car runs really well and I'm only running 5 pounds of boost, I see boost in all gears depending on load.

With regards to is it worth it, that a really sticky subject, I really think it depends on you motivation. If you are looking for a 20% to 30% more power it’s a nice upgrade, but if you want more I would recommend buying a Turbo, you also need to think about how much the car will be worth when sold.

I have done all the work my self and most of my knowledge of AF, fuel pressure and boost came from my supercharger project and work on other cars. If you can’t do the work your self I don’t think it’s worth it, especially if you are relying on external AF/Knock devices. I also have a really nice N/A that I’ve had has for 8 years and have done other upgrades like brakes, sway bars, suspension, my car also has no sun roof.
GOOD POST!
That pretty much sums up the reasoning that this topic gets blown off. If one expects to slap on a turbo and create some high horsepower car, like you see with some of the 951's, this is just the wrong route. By the time the money is spent, you could have bought a well sorted 951, add bolt ons and you're done, all for less money than is necessary to turn a stock 944 into a similarly powered car.
Old 05-05-2008 | 06:11 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mark_uss
u r coming close to 7000 posts here
ROFL. That's not a good thing!
Old 05-05-2008 | 07:15 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

only 5 psi? is there any reason you haven't gone higher?

does the safegaurd say you start to knock? 5 psi is kinda weak...
Old 05-05-2008 | 07:16 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by ehall
GOOD POST!
That pretty much sums up the reasoning that this topic gets blown off. If one expects to slap on a turbo and create some high horsepower car, like you see with some of the 951's, this is just the wrong route. By the time the money is spent, you could have bought a well sorted 951, add bolt ons and you're done, all for less money than is necessary to turn a stock 944 into a similarly powered car.
Good points. To me, the closest thing to a turbo conversion that makes sense would be a full plug-and-play replacement of drivetrain and electronics, as a unit. This would makes sense if you had a donor (a wrecked 951, or one with a very ragged body) and a pristine 944. Basically, you're refurbishing the 951 by putting it into n/a 944 skin.

One downside is that the surviving car will always be a converted 944, and would never have the market value of a 951.
Old 05-05-2008 | 07:18 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pormgb
Hi all,

thats sad. people cant even post cool things on this forum that would actually help others because some people on this board can't have an open mind and keep their
bad opinions and comments to themselves.

I remember the old rennlist....much friendlier place
Old 05-05-2008 | 07:27 PM
MM951
Race Director

campeck you should turbo the roadster
Old 05-05-2008 | 07:35 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

I was just telling dad the NA motor needs a rebuild. I might drop a turbo motor in it while its beinge overhauled....muahaha.

It would be too scary...
Old 05-05-2008 | 10:09 PM
pormgb
Racer

Originally Posted by Campeck
only 5 psi? is there any reason you haven't gone higher?

does the safegaurd say you start to knock? 5 psi is kinda weak...
I sure I can run more than 5 PSI but I need to get my Safeguard and water injection setup properly to protect my motor, by the way 5 PSI may sound weak but compared to the stock N/A motor, 5 PSI makes the car quite quick.
Old 05-05-2008 | 11:08 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Campeck
thats sad. people cant even post cool things on this forum that would actually help others because some people on this board can't have an open mind and keep their
bad opinions and comments to themselves.

I remember the old rennlist....much friendlier place
That's bullcrap.
Old 05-06-2008 | 02:05 AM
blown 944
Race Car

funny thing is that when building a real high hp car all the turbo stuff is actually replaced (maybe I need to change my muffler bearings too)

DME and KLR= standalone
brakes=upgraded to big blacks
short bolck= actually from a 3.0 NA with new pistons and aftermarket rods
trans= 50/50 turbo or s2 choice dependant on gearing
IC=aftermarket
turbo = aftermarket
crossover non existant
NA head is used either 2.7 or 4v
suspension changed to coil over
clutch = aftermarket

To me it is silly starting off with a 951 I think it is be better off starting off with a lightweight early car that weighs 2600#'s. This is my opinion and what I am doing.

Kudos to those who can do things for themselves and shame on those who attack others.

the search key is very valuable however.

Oh yea going on 4 years running over 12 psi on a NA 83 (actually 18+ psi now)
Old 05-06-2008 | 05:30 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

951 + chips+MAF+turbo+exhaust=350 HP. How much are you making, because you don't have to change anything else on a 951 to get there quite well. BUT you do have to change the rest of your list on an N/A.
Old 05-06-2008 | 09:48 AM
blown 944
Race Car

I make quite enough with both cars thanks...You??

some things never change

Quick Reply: non turbo to turbo? can it be done?