Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bedline the hatch?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 12:26 PM
Crunky
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bedline the hatch?

Ok, I know this probably sounds stupid to most of you, but has anyone ever bedlined their hatch area? I am in the process of rebuilding my interior(slowly),and the only area I want to bedline is the hatch area that is covered by the hatch carpet. I am thinking that I will buy a nice hatch carpet to replace my ratty one, and the carpet will be in the car the majority of the time so that you can't see the bedlining. But if I ever need to throw crap in the back, like when I go grocery shoping, or to Home-Depot, ect.. I can just take the carpet out, and now I have a non-skid coating that I won't worry about scratching.
Or maybe I can turn it into a 944 El Camino, like that 928
Thoughts?
Old 05-06-2007, 12:28 PM
porcho heat
Pro

Cut a piece of plywood to fit in the back

Lay it in there any time you want to cart stuff around
Old 05-06-2007, 01:13 PM
Mamooguy
Three Wheelin'

Can a bed-liner for a pickup be cut to size? That could also be a viable solution. It would also have the benefit of being light.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:41 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

here's what I'm doing... I'm gonna be using a rubberized undercoating for my interior... on my 924S...

it's a track car... and I'm only doing it for prettyness purposes.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:01 PM
Crunky
Pro

Originally Posted by Porschephile 924
here's what I'm doing... I'm gonna be using a rubberized undercoating for my interior... on my 924S...

I had thought about that too, would make great sound deadening. But I have never used it, how hard does it set up? I don't want it to get scratched up.
I have seen Line-X brand truck coating in a newer maroon F150, that matched the maroon color pretty well, I was thinking something like that wouldn't be too bad in my car.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:08 PM
Crunky
Pro

Originally Posted by Mamooguy
Can a bed-liner for a pickup be cut to size? That could also be a viable solution. It would also have the benefit of being light.
If someone were to start making ones molded to the rear hatch of the 944, I'd be the first to buy one. But that does give me an idea, there are thick rubber bed mats for trucks, maybe I can cut up a rubber cargo mat to toss under the carpet, and work on some type of cargo hold down system.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:23 PM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Crunky
how hard does it set up? I don't want it to get scratched up.
Not very hard at all.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:06 PM
yoyoguy2
Racer

i've heard of a number of jeeps doing this to the back, the herculiner brand is supposedly pretty easy to apply yourself, then you don't have to go to a truck shop and explain yourself in person :-P
Old 05-06-2007, 11:10 PM
UncleMaz
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

You can buy Duplicolor or Hurculiner bed liner in any auto parts store. You roll it on (they also sell rattle cans). You just need to clean and scuff the surface. Works great in my Jeep. Someday, when my Jeep needs a new paint job, I am going to roll the whole thing in bedliner.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:12 PM
hpservertech
Pro

Just dont go over the spot where the fuel level sender is.....never know if you will have to replace that some day.

One of the rubber truck mats, cut to size/shape though might be a better bet for you. Removable also if you sell the car and buy a different Pcar.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:14 PM
UncleMaz
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Bedliner is also a great sound deadener and very flame and chemical resistant.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:45 PM
Crunky
Pro

Yah, I was thinking Duplicolor at first, as it is cheaper than most else, and both Herculiner and Duplicolor are available to me at work with discount. I have rolled Duplicolor on the inside of a Bronco, pretty easy stuff to use. I think I may try the duplicolor at first, if I don't like the black, I will paint over it, or go another layer of maroon Line-X or another brand that has maroon.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:52 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschephile 924

thats gonna be a friggin mess- try cleaning undercoating sometime. Truck spray in bed liner is much harder and easier to clean up. Personally, i would put the carpet in or spray it black or something.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:46 AM
dmjames
Burning Brakes

Check out the Weathertech cargo mat here. They're $100, but they fit perfectly, yet are attractive enough to leave in all the time. I bought one about a year ago, and you can barely tell it's not brand new, even after hauling a pile of parts, dirty rims, tools, and using it to move twice. Seriously, save yourself the headache and get something that fits right out of the box. Trying to trim stuff like this to fit is just a pain in the ***.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:02 AM
RMills944
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spray bedliner sucks if you get it dirty. It's impossible to get the mud out of the little crevices in the texture it has and also it's heavier than paint. You must also consider that it is durable, but if the area gets lots of traffic or scraped by boards and stuff, the liner will come off.

I don't care what the manufacturer says, it will come off. My brother lined his whole interior in his toyota when he got it about 6 years ago. There's none left on the floorboards, and the edges of the bed in back are mostly peeled/scraped off. If you do go this route, go with the one with the smallest amount of gritty-ness to it.

Quick Reply: Bedline the hatch?