Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about my new S2 Cabriolet.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007 | 10:26 PM
Mello
Rennlist Member

Default Questions about my new S2 Cabriolet.

So I just got a 90 S2 Cabriolet in black with linen interior. The car runs beautifully. I just pulled into the driveway, and can't wait until tomorrow morning to try to sort out the few problems, which are all interior related.

#1) Power door locks don't do anything. They blink red when pushed down manually, but theres no other "power" to them. They don't go up or down on their own, and the button does nothing. No motor sounds when pressed, nor when the key is turned. Also, both lock ***** come off when you try to pull them up to unlock them, exposing the LED inside. This was in the dark, but what appears to be the screwey part is cracked on the ****. I locked myself in the car and had to lower the top (drivers window doesnt work either) to get out. I guess they just wore out from being pulled on manually.

#2) Do coupes and convertibles have the same window motor? Drivers window isn't working. No noise/power. I think it was working when I test drove the car, but now its not. I'm sure I can figure out what's wrong on my own, but do the coupes and convertibles have the same window motor? I would imagine the motor is the same but the arms (regulator??) is different.

#3) Car has a Reno 2 radio with equalizer. There's power to it, and it turns on, but no music, just crackling and hissing when i turn up the volume. I'm taking it out even if it did work, but is there some hidden amp that I'm going to have to find or deal with? The car has speakers in the door pockets, and nothing where the 4X6 usually is.

Can't wait to try to figure it out on my own tomorrow.... Sorry. I appreciate any ideas. Thanks!
Old 04-21-2007 | 10:39 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

check your fuses-
Old 04-22-2007 | 12:23 AM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mello
#3) Car has a Reno 2 radio with equalizer. There's power to it, and it turns on, but no music, just crackling and hissing when i turn up the volume. I'm taking it out even if it did work, but is there some hidden amp that I'm going to have to find or deal with? The car has speakers in the door pockets, and nothing where the 4X6 usually is.

Can't wait to try to figure it out on my own tomorrow.... Sorry. I appreciate any ideas. Thanks!

I have an 89S2 in black/linen - nice combo! The equalizer is an amp as well. Search the threads and you will find an explanation of all the wires. Sounds like blown speakers possibly or a messed up radio. Not too difficult to replace - but look on Clarks' Garage for the procedure to replace the rear speakers - most of us take out the rear quarter window to do so.
Old 04-22-2007 | 12:27 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Antenna still there?
Old 04-22-2007 | 12:57 AM
2zeroes
Racer

RE: the radio, best thing is to pull it out. I have the tools if you want to use them. I'm in the Jersey City/Hoboken area if you're ever around. Also, I have a spare stock radio/eq if you want to try to figure out which unit is not working properly.
Old 04-22-2007 | 10:13 AM
Mello
Rennlist Member

Yea. Antenna is there. This is a cabriolet too.
Old 04-22-2007 | 12:07 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Check the back of the radio to see if the antenna is still plugged in though :-X
Old 04-22-2007 | 12:25 PM
nickg
Three Wheelin'

So I just got a 90 S2 Cabriolet in black with linen interior. The car runs beautifully. I just pulled into the driveway, and can't wait until tomorrow morning to try to sort out the few problems, which are all interior related.

#1) Power door locks don't do anything. They blink red when pushed down manually, but theres no other "power" to them. They don't go up or down on their own, and the button does nothing. No motor sounds when pressed, nor when the key is turned. Also, both lock ***** come off when you try to pull them up to unlock them, exposing the LED inside. This was in the dark, but what appears to be the screwey part is cracked on the ****. I locked myself in the car and had to lower the top (drivers window doesnt work either) to get out. I guess they just wore out from being pulled on manually.

#2) Do coupes and convertibles have the same window motor? Drivers window isn't working. No noise/power. I think it was working when I test drove the car, but now its not. I'm sure I can figure out what's wrong on my own, but do the coupes and convertibles have the same window motor? I would imagine the motor is the same but the arms (regulator??) is different.

the cabs use the same motor, but the regulater is different, let me know if you need one, i have a few
The anntena is in the galss in yuour car right? they did not have a mast on cabs
Old 04-22-2007 | 01:09 PM
Mello
Rennlist Member

Antenna in glass. The radio is so shot I can't see the screen. I read something in the manual about a code to reset it when power is disconnected, but I can't read the screen to see if its asking for a code. I've replaced the radio in my previous 3 944s with the 4 speaker setup. I'm not familiar with this setup so I'm more wondering if I'm going to have to deal with component crossovers etc. I just get lost when there's more than 4 speakers.

I just checked the fuses. The one for the power locks was blown, as was one for the interior lights. I also noticed while under the hood that a squirrel was using the air filter area as a storage facility (acorns), and the intake manifold area as a dining facility (cracked acorns). Perhaps he blew the fuses somehow. It doesn't look like he was chewing on any wires. The car is also now 200 miles away from him so I don't have to worry about him anymore. The fuses seem to be holding.
Old 04-22-2007 | 01:15 PM
Mello
Rennlist Member

So I can take the window motor out of my 951 and attach it to the regulator from the Cabriolet?
Old 04-22-2007 | 03:14 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

You never know, that squirrel might be hiding somewhere.
Old 04-23-2007 | 04:43 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

So I can take the window motor out of my 951 and attach it to the regulator from the Cabriolet?
I'd say Rennlist really needs a cabriolet forum...
Old 10-02-2007 | 01:11 PM
rickb20
Pro

Default We need a cabriolet forum

How do we get this accomplished?
Old 10-02-2007 | 01:16 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Your car has the EIGHT speaker option.

As does mine.

I thought it was 10 speakers but I was quite wrong.

You have 2 4x6's in the back.

The front doors each have a 5.25 inch speaker, and a smaller like 3.5 inch speaker. Then they have the tweeter thing on the top.

Thus eight.

It wasnt until I looked in PET that the cars with 10 speaker options ALSO had a 4x6 in addition to all of these speakers, however this option was really quite rare.

You can, alternatively take the door panel off and you will see an outline for where the 4x6 speaker goes. You can cut this and just pop the 4x6 speaker in. Making it a 10 speaker system. Which I am considering doing.
Old 10-02-2007 | 01:50 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

The head unit is probably not worth fooling with. If you get a new one make sure you connect the antenna amp wire to the power antenna wire on your new head unit or you will have very poor reception.

As for the windows, the switches get burnt contacts. Easy to clean with some 1200 paper if you take them out and apart. Mark the case so you can get it back together correctly or they work backwards.
If the right window stops working, the contacts can be burnt on the left or right as the switches have an interconnect that prevents damage resulting from a 'switch war.'

-Joel.

Quick Reply: Questions about my new S2 Cabriolet.