Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Tool Ever: Motive Power Bleeder

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 07:34 PM
Cosmatics951
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking Best Tool Ever: Motive Power Bleeder

Just got one of these from paragon after wasting about 5 hours trying every known rennlist/clarks garage method of bleeding that g*dd*mn clutch. Waited 4 days for the UPS fairy to deliver its goods, and viola, in 10 mins I had a perfectly bleed clutch. No excessive pumping, or cussing, just a product that worked perfectly for the job.

Every p-car owner, nah, every guy in the world that has ever turned a wrench should get one of these things. i cant wait to do all the brakes of all 4 cars, and I might even throw in the neighbors cars.

if anyone wants to borrow, with deposit, or come by to use this beast of a tool in central jersey, please feel free. Praise the lord. Time for beer.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:17 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 171 Posts

It is magic, isn't it?

My son could bleed the brakes and clutch with that device all on his own back when he was 10!
Old 04-06-2007, 08:48 PM
Mikerex
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which model of bleeder did you buy and which adapter fits the 944? I've been looking at buying one, but wasn't sure if they were worth it.

thanks
mike
Old 04-06-2007, 09:47 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts

I have heard of using a section mountain bike tube, one end tied off, the other stretched over the reservoir neck. Anyone ever try this?
Old 04-06-2007, 09:52 PM
Rrrockhound
Racer

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
I have heard of using a section mountain bike tube, one end tied off, the other stretched over the reservoir neck. Anyone ever try this?
I have to admire the ingenuity to that, but just buy the Motive. It's not expensive, and after one use, you'll want to marry it. You'll be going around looking for brakes to bleed. It's that good.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:52 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

i too have just used it, and all four calipers and clutch was bled very quickly. loved it
Old 04-06-2007, 11:01 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

One of the best tools i have purchased. I bleed my brakes for fun.

Okay maybe not for fun, but they get done every two months or so during the auto-x season. Makes what is usually a two person, 1.5 hour job into a single man 30 minute job.

Mikerex, i bought the European bleeder. Its nice because it works on my fathers Mercedes and my friends M3 also.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:08 PM
JayP
Pro

Originally Posted by Rrrockhound
I have to admire the ingenuity to that, but just buy the Motive. It's not expensive, and after one use, you'll want to marry it. You'll be going around looking for brakes to bleed. It's that good.
You need to get out more often.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:13 PM
aben8057
Drifting

I may take you up on that offer, where in CNJ are you also what adapter is for the 944? 1100, 1109 or 1101

Last edited by aben8057; 04-07-2007 at 02:17 PM.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:23 PM
Rrrockhound
Racer

Originally Posted by JayP
You need to get out more often.
Maybe so, but all my brake pedals are good and firm.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:34 PM
tyro
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A local shop (Minneapolis) has the Motive Euro bleeder on sale for $39:

Motive Bleeder
Old 04-06-2007, 11:38 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 109 Posts

I have the Motive but a good 650 lb impact wrench can't be beat. I just did a suspension bushing job on my sons 4WD ranger today, without the impact wrench we would still be out there in the garage.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:35 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts

I kinda want a Motive and I think if you do a lot of track work you probably need one. Given my fleet I end up doing a fluid swap about twice a year on one car or another so it'd be nice to make that a bit easier. However I have a few issues with owning a brake bleeding tool like this:

1) Yet another bulky tool in the garage
2) I hate handling brake fluid and do not want to clean the tank and have the line/cap drip on the shelf.
3) Brake fluid is hard on lines, seals, etc. and I wonder how long the tool will last.

I would probably be happy with a cap adapter I can hook to an air supply. Yes the reservoir might need to be topped off a couple of times but that should be easy enough. I like the mountain bike tube idea too, I'll have to try it next chance I get. A tube with a pinch can be used as long as it is not pinched right in the valve area so it costs nothing.

-Joel.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:56 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
1) Yet another bulky tool in the garage
2) I hate handling brake fluid and do not want to clean the tank and have the line/cap drip on the shelf.
3) Brake fluid is hard on lines, seals, etc. and I wonder how long the tool will last.
I worried about the same things, but find you just can't beat the ease of use and level of effectiveness.

1) & 2) I empty, but do not clean the tank after use as it seems kinda futile to spend the time to get the last few drops out. It stores closed, so only a few drops remain to absorb atmospheric moisture.

I store the unit in a tall plastic storage unit, with handle on top, that contains:
- the bleeder
- bottle/hose for collection
- a couple of old margarine containers (one used to set the end of the hose in to collect any fluid that drains from it in storage)
- a big plastic syringe (like you use to give medicine to a dog)
- a fresh can of Ate Blue.

It's pretty self-contained and I can do the whole thing without spilling a drop. Outside of the storage container stays clean enough to ride to/from track on the carpet in the front seat.

3) The unit has held up for me for almost 7 years now. The margarine containers seem to crack and throw in the towel after about a year, but the other plastics seem fine.

The first time a P-car mechanic walked up to my car (before I started doing this myself) and bled the brakes... he had what appeared to be a large industrial version of the Motive. Said, he wouldn't even bother doing the job without one.

A pressure bleeder isn't a cure for every brake/clutch bleeding issue, but it sure eliminates most of the known issues (keeping reservoir full, consistent positive pressure, ability to move known/large quantities of fluid, one-person operation). Besides that, it's a positive pressure tool applied to a system that is designed for positive pressure.

Not to flame anyone, but I just don't get the vacuum or MityVac approach and have NEVER seen one in use at a DE/Race weekend. I cannot count the number of threads I have read with folks struggling with brake and clutch bleeding. I have rarely seen one that involved someone using a Motive. Have seen a TON of threads where folks struggle with every other method under the sun, some quite innovative.

If you place any value on your time, it pays for itself in one use. A typical P-car shop will charge you $60 for a bleed + fluid. I think it's kinda a no-brainer.

Just my 2 cents...
Old 04-07-2007, 01:29 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave in Chicago
I worried about the same things, but find you just can't beat the ease of use and level of effectiveness.

1) & 2) I empty, but do not clean the tank after use as it seems kinda futile to spend the time to get the last few drops out. It stores closed, so only a few drops remain to absorb atmospheric moisture.

I store the unit in a tall plastic storage unit, with handle on top, that contains:
- the bleeder
- bottle/hose for collection
- a couple of old margarine containers (one used to set the end of the hose in to collect any fluid that drains from it in storage)
- a big plastic syringe (like you use to give medicine to a dog)
- a fresh can of Ate Blue.

It's pretty self-contained and I can do the whole thing without spilling a drop. Outside of the storage container stays clean enough to ride to/from track on the carpet in the front seat.

3) The unit has held up for me for almost 7 years now. The margarine containers seem to crack and throw in the towel after about a year, but the other plastics seem fine.

The first time a P-car mechanic walked up to my car (before I started doing this myself) and bled the brakes... he had what appeared to be a large industrial version of the Motive. Said, he wouldn't even bother doing the job without one.

A pressure bleeder isn't a cure for every brake/clutch bleeding issue, but it sure eliminates most of the known issues (keeping reservoir full, consistent positive pressure, ability to move known/large quantities of fluid, one-person operation). Besides that, it's a positive pressure tool applied to a system that is designed for positive pressure.

Not to flame anyone, but I just don't get the vacuum or MityVac approach and have NEVER seen one in use at a DE/Race weekend. I cannot count the number of threads I have read with folks struggling with brake and clutch bleeding. I have rarely seen one that involved someone using a Motive. Have seen a TON of threads where folks struggle with every other method under the sun, some quite innovative.

If you place any value on your time, it pays for itself in one use. A typical P-car shop will charge you $60 for a bleed + fluid. I think it's kinda a no-brainer.

Just my 2 cents...
+1, and I have cap adapters for every car I own. I've never had luck with the vacuum method myself.

Quick Reply: Best Tool Ever: Motive Power Bleeder