Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the best way to route a Sirius antenna wire? ****Updated****

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 11:06 PM
UncleMaz
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default What is the best way to route a Sirius antenna wire? ****Updated****

Just got my new Sirius radio (Kenwood Ez700SR). They suggest I mount it on the roof (just in front of the hatch). What interior panels should/need to come off? Do I need any special tools? Is ripping a likely outcome? I have wired tons of car stereos but never had to route an antenna wire. Thanks in advance. Michael.

Center dash mounted routed through center speaker down to headunit. Works like a charm and looks pretty okay (sorry for the crap photo).

Thanks Rennlist!
Attached Images  

Last edited by UncleMaz; 03-27-2007 at 11:00 PM.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:10 PM
Rrrockhound
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not 944-specific, but many ppl report success just placing the antenna on the dash, instead of a permanent mounting. This is what I would try first if my 944 were my daily driver.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:15 PM
taworden
Intermediate

I use sirius daily in my 944. The antenna works perfect in the center of the dash. No problems with reception.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:15 PM
UncleMaz
Nordschleife Master

It is my daily driver and I have a 968 roof mounted antenna back there already. I am assuming glass is not an obstruction. Sounds like a good thing to try. Thanks. Are the head panels that big of a PITA to remove?
Old 03-26-2007, 11:16 PM
UncleMaz
Nordschleife Master

Sounds like a very easy plan. No bodywork! Yay!
Old 03-26-2007, 11:25 PM
Dan Shea
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

the antenna's are magnetic, so you just have to be creative with how you hide the wire. IMHO i'd put it just in front of the hatch and run the wire down the hatch, along the edge of the carpet and to wherever you are mounting the signal transformer box thing.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:31 PM
UncleMaz
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Dan Shea
the antenna's are magnetic, so you just have to be creative with how you hide the wire. IMHO i'd put it just in front of the hatch and run the wire down the hatch, along the edge of the carpet and to wherever you are mounting the signal transformer box thing.
Another good suggestion. This headunit has the Siruis receiver built in (not a Sirius ready thing). So, I will be routing directly to the headunit.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:36 PM
Dan Shea
Pro

oh sweet i didn't know they made those yet... I'm rocking the s50 (semi portable), when they came out with the fully portable ones i grabed it for 50 bucks.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:41 PM
UncleMaz
Nordschleife Master

I bought a Crutchfield refurbished unit for 179 bucks. It has two really big *****. Looks a little silly, but as a practical matter..... Also, I am not a take music with me person and I have satellite stations on my televisions (XM/DirectTV). So, this fit the bill.
Attached Images  
Old 03-26-2007, 11:46 PM
Dan Shea
Pro

its always nicer to have a dedicated machine
Old 03-27-2007, 12:04 AM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

I also routed the antenna to the dash (mine is just left of the right a pillar cover) and it works well and was very easy to istall with no damage or holes anywhere.

My wife and I each have an S50 (with a lifetime subscription) and car kits for all of our cars (7 total). Its a great set up for us.

Regards,
Old 03-27-2007, 12:43 AM
mrwolfe
Advanced

Just finished this little gig this last weekend in just over an hour. I decided to move my Sirus Starmate from a temporary spot on the front dash. It was sometimes obstructed by the wipers or anytime the hood was up (got to have tunes while mucking under the bonnet). I looked to mount the ant through the back hatch glass, but found I would have to disconnect the glass to get the plug end to fit between the glass and the roof panel.

To keep things simple I went with the following:
- Thru the back of the sunroof and into the header panel
- Routed the ant down the rear drivers side pillar
- Under the carpet in between the rear seats and floor
- Temporarilly pulled the cassette box out
- Routed the ant down the center transaxle underneath the carpet, next to the shift boot an past the switches
- My Sirus head unit is mounted below the radio in the spare stowage compartment (I left enough slack in the ant to relocate the head unit if desired)
- I pulled constant power from the battery line going into the radio that keeps the clock and channel presets to pause and record up to 45 mins while getting gas, etc...

I'm much happier with the clean view of the dash. Good luck with whichever path you choose to take.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:32 AM
UncleMaz
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mrwolfe
Just finished this little gig this last weekend in just over an hour. I decided to move my Sirus Starmate from a temporary spot on the front dash. It was sometimes obstructed by the wipers or anytime the hood was up (got to have tunes while mucking under the bonnet). I looked to mount the ant through the back hatch glass, but found I would have to disconnect the glass to get the plug end to fit between the glass and the roof panel.

To keep things simple I went with the following:
- Thru the back of the sunroof and into the header panel
- Routed the ant down the rear drivers side pillar
- Under the carpet in between the rear seats and floor
- Temporarilly pulled the cassette box out
- Routed the ant down the center transaxle underneath the carpet, next to the shift boot an past the switches
- My Sirus head unit is mounted below the radio in the spare stowage compartment (I left enough slack in the ant to relocate the head unit if desired)
- I pulled constant power from the battery line going into the radio that keeps the clock and channel presets to pause and record up to 45 mins while getting gas, etc...

I'm much happier with the clean view of the dash. Good luck with whichever path you choose to take.
Thanks Mr. Wolf. That seems pretty doable. So, you didn't have to take off anything but the sunroof? Nice!
Old 03-27-2007, 10:57 PM
UncleMaz
Nordschleife Master

Default See first post for pic update.

Thanks again Rennlist!
Old 03-27-2007, 11:19 PM
Rrrockhound
Racer

Glad it worked out. You might get very brief signal drops occasionally. I do in my truck, even though it has an external antenna, when passing under a certain bridge every day. But the upside is you didn't have to rip your interior half apart. I don't drive my 944 enough to justify another sat. radio, but if I get one, I'll definitely install the antenna where you put yours.

Quick Reply: What is the best way to route a Sirius antenna wire? ****Updated****