Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The H4 Lighting Roundup (or, how to brighten your lights!)

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 02:24 AM
Royalty
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh wow, thanks
Old 03-27-2007, 03:12 AM
TurboS2
Intermediate

Thumbs up

good job on the research
Old 03-27-2007, 11:25 AM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys!
Old 03-27-2007, 11:41 AM
bleucamaro
Drifting

Good Comparison. I tried taking before and after pics with my PHD (push here dummy) digicam, and the new lights didn't come out as bright because it went to 'daylight' settings for those.

On a more technical note, you might want to research higher output voltage regulators and include the benefits of drawing your power straight from the alternator via relay vs. the stock harness.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:55 AM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

I like your comment about the camera. "Daylight" setting. Ha! It's funny because it's TRUE.

I thought about it (stock harness vs. rennbay harness). Maybe I should think some more...but I don't wanna redo my wiring (again)! :P

Voltage regulators are outta my league thus far. Anyone have notes on what IceShark said about such things (because I gotta figure he actually had info on why his kit had what it had)?
Old 03-27-2007, 03:19 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Darren,

Nice pics. I might use some of them on Rennbay if you don't mind??? I love the yellowstars on high beam... It's like driving during the day on the darkest roads.

For the voltage regulators.. they have adjustable units that are readily available that plug into the stock alternators. They can bump the voltage up to 14.9 and you do get do a brighter light but in practice they reduce the bulb life significantly. Ice shark used the adjustable voltage regulators and you can search the backed threads on bulb failures. That is the only reason we do not include them. I can point you guys in the right direction to pick up the voltage regulators. I do not mind selling bulbs if you do not mind replacing them.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:40 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Travis - absolutely. A link to the thread might be useful. Let me know via PM if you need something bigger than the 640-ish ones that are in the thread.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:10 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Travis- Aren't the voltage regulators already pre-set at 14.4v...? I know that was what Dan recommended & I thought he'd always said that. In looking at some of the ones I have of Dan's (I still have about 30), I'm wondering how one would tell where they are set- can you tell me how to check...? I've got several people installing them right now, as they have alternators out already & the brushes are worn, etc, so they're going ahead & installing the Transpo adjs & I'd like to be sure on this for future reference, as I'm about to pull my alternator too for similar treatment.

ALSO, what is the factory rated alternator anyway? someone recently said 115amps, but I thought it was 140...?

Darren- EXCELLENT pics...!!!

The Narvas that Dan used were very good & have gotten rather expensive over the years. There are several nice alternatives albeit still in the $18/ea & up range. There is an Osram that is an 80/90w I think- I'd sort of like to try it, but I have too many Narvas right now to need any... Still, supposedly some of the newer bulbs do not need as many watts to put out equivalent light. I've also been told by some reliable sources, that going up to the 120/130 Narvas (I think that's the rating) really does not significantly increase output, but does significantly decrease lifespan- something to keep in mind...
Old 03-27-2007, 07:32 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Robby,

Thanks! I got your PM and will shoot you one once I'm not juggling 25 things at once.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:50 PM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great pics and write-up Darren!
Old 03-27-2007, 08:52 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Thanks Mike.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:05 PM
SpecialtyConcreteCoatings
Banned

Originally Posted by PixelGrinder
I completely messed my left and right direction of my headlights when I was trying to change the lenses I thought I needed to unscrew that screw and by the time I noticed it wasn't coming out it was too late. Any help with the left/right directional?
I remember seeing the procedure in the Haynes manual. Park on level ground, about 10 ft. from a wall and I think you use tape at certain points. I don't remember. You may just be able to eye ball it better with the lights hitting the wall.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:22 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SpecialtyConcreteCoatings
I remember seeing the procedure in the Haynes manual. Park on level ground, about 10 ft. from a wall and I think you use tape at certain points. I don't remember. You may just be able to eye ball it better with the lights hitting the wall.
I personally eyeball it. Get where you think you want it, drive around for a while, make little tweaks. Two important points: ideally the light should go straight out from the light (seems obvious, but mine weren't quite straight) and the light should be even horizontally. I ballparked it as having a transition from light two feet up a wall if the front of the car was 25 feet way.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:02 AM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Sorry for "bumping" an old thread. Added two new photos (new bulbs).
Old 06-18-2007, 02:05 AM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks Darren! This is definitely on my "things to do" list.

Quick Reply: The H4 Lighting Roundup (or, how to brighten your lights!)