Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to find paint?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 07:37 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 634 Likes on 491 Posts
Default Where to find paint?

Anyone work at a paint company or have some good sources to get Porsche paint at? In the possible event that I decide to re-spray my car, I'd need some paint to match the engine bay...

?? (Anyone have the color code for Merlot?)
Old 03-24-2007, 08:34 PM
JayP
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/body-02.htm
http://paintscratch.com/
Old 03-24-2007, 09:06 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 169 Posts

Find a BASF Glasurit dealer. Get the color code off your trim tag. And get some 55 line (I believe this is correct) base and clear. They also make a light gray/white primer that matches the factory primer perfectly which in the end helps color match unless you are shooting black or something.

Every Porsche I have ever shot with glasurit has come out perfect. It is pretty much considered to be as close to OE as you are going to get.

You could try PPG DBC base with one of their concept clears too.

But generally, I like the look of the glasurit better on german stuff.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:14 AM
GTSilver944
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Find a BASF Glasurit dealer.
You could try PPG DBC base with one of their concept clears too.
Hahaha. The Glasurit is the most expensive paint ever. Besides being expensive, Glasurit is dificult to find. Only one shop that I know of in my area even uses it. It is supposed to be the best though. Probaly only worth the cost of it if your car is immaculate in every other way imaginable. I am currently using PPG DBC with DCU - ? clear to paint my NA gt silber. Are you doing it yourself? If you are doing it yourself, and want to use Glasurit, you better be a fabulous painter, because just an average garage job will not show the difference.
My paint cost a little over $800 just for the primer, catalyst, reducer, color, clear, hardener, etc. It's turning out beautifully and I'll post pics of it in a couple weeks after I'm done.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:08 AM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 169 Posts

GT silver 944 huh. That is going to look amazing. Good luck!

I guess I am lucky to have a couple glasurit dealers locally

I dont know. Last time I bought a gallon of PPG DBC base, it was approx the same price as the last gallon of Glasurit 55 base I bought, within 50 bucks, nothing major.

PPG is not cheap paint itself by FAR. Nothing wrong with it by any means and I use it often. Great stuff that produces very nice finishes.

All I can say is that I prefer glasurit to the PPG on german cars. 9 out of 10 times, when trying to match an OE porsche finish, I have better luck with the glasurit. But I have been restoring and painting cars professionally and as a hobby since the late 60's and am a bit of a fuss ars. But that is me. Your mileage may vary. I think that their metallics are more accurate.

On BMW's the PPG usually looks pretty good except for some of the wierder fine met colors.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:50 AM
GTSilver944
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

J- you know more than I do in this field, by experiance alone ten thousand times over. My only comment is that they are both great paints, and to see the difference, where glasurit would win, requires a master doing the paint job and a perfectionist looking at it. I'm more than happy with how my PPG is turning out. By the way, the local glasurit guy is a beast that makes cars into mirrors.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:07 AM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

I bought Tornado Red paint for my Audi last year at Sherman Williams Automotives store. Was about $110 for a gallon of reduced (Dimension 4000 or something like that series). I never got around to painting the car, but my friend who sprays cars and was going to do it painted his brothers RX7 with the same series paint and it looks beautiful.

Quick Reply: Where to find paint?