Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New project car with some custom work done (UPDATE: FOR SALE - $2100 obo)

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 04:10 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool FS: '86 NA track-based project car - $1900obo

***UPDATE***
After the car has been checked out my a few local interested parties (one of which is still debating purchase), I believe I didn't make it clear enough. This car is probably best suited as a track-based project car or a long-term street project car. It's not completed enough to be just driven on the street if you aren't willing to accept some interior trim pieces missing, and not willing/able to find the remaining lights. I have driven it a few times (just got back from a drive, in fact) on the street and I think it's quite enjoyable. I don't mind the partially gutted interior... but many do. I've adjusted the price to $1900 down from $2100, as that's the general consensus of its value.
-Kevin

Well, I finally picked up my latest project car after beating around the bush for a couple weeks on the matter. It's an '86 with 169k miles and some neat custom work that requires some more to get it up to snuff. One of the previous owners wanted to trick this thing out with some import-oriented mods, as you'll see in the pictures.

--The "Mods List" --
Aesthetics
* Bucket headlight conversion (in progress)
* Shaved hatch and doorhandles with electric releases
* Recessed front bumper with shaved bumperettes
* Repainted yellow (a little rough in areas, going to work on clearing most of that up before sale)
* Window tint
* Relocated window switches (to center console)
* Black/Yellow aftermarket sport seat
Engine
* Throttle response cam
* Cone-filter air intake
* MSD Blaster 2 coil
* Aftermarket exaust (there is a Borla sticker in the engine bay, but I have yet to confirm that)

So far it has a new battery and a fixed DME relay in it by me. My plans are to crank out some work including some touch up paint, cleaning, possibly some door panels as well as some other light fabrication work, and getting it on the market before next week. I might be forced to sell it before I get all the work done, but I will at least have most of the remaining project work left over from the previous owner.

I'm not a big fan of headlight conversions, usually, but I see promise in these particular units... I think they'll be pretty darn nice when I'm done with them later this week! Feel free to express your opinion on them... but please don't turn this into a total flame war.

Thanks guys,
Kevin

Here's the bumblebee

***UPDATE: NEWER PICS MOVED TO THIS POST***

Old pics...

Last edited by FSAEracer03; 03-28-2007 at 02:02 PM. Reason: for sale updated title
Old 03-20-2007, 11:25 AM
Crunky
Pro

I like it! Not so much the shaved handles though.
This is how I have been imagining my car when I'm done working on aesthetics, minus the handles, and I am going with square sealed beams for the head lights.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:18 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Checked out the options codes:

Options:
C02 – Rest of USA (Country Code)
G76 – Unknown
401 – Light Metal Wheels (Phone Dials)
418 – Protective Side Moldings
454 – Automatic Speed Control
456 – Sport Shock Absorbers and Stabilizers
533 – Alarm System
650 – Sunroof
946 – Leather/Leatherette Seats

Last edited by FSAEracer03; 03-20-2007 at 04:43 PM.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:53 PM
Dan Shea
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I think the hardware in the headlights look pretty gnarly and 21st century, to bad they don't line up with the rest of the car.

on a side note... why did they go through all the trouble of shaving the door handles and not shave the alarm key hole? if you going keyless entry might as well go keyless alarm.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:58 PM
jgporsche
Drifting

i like it.... can i come see it this weekend?
Old 03-20-2007, 06:01 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

those must be those damn gt racing headlights- those are a paint in the ars to get mounted- but look ok. Yeah why shave the handles and not the alarm key? duh. Get the primer off the taillights and it wouldnt look too bad- maybe put the bumperettes back on- i think shaved n/a bumpers are the pits.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:18 PM
Glen Watkins
Rennlist Member

Does anyone know who makes that headlight conversion? I have seen the clear buckets, but not the HID's...
Old 03-20-2007, 06:55 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 504 Posts

That is actually one of the coolest 944s I've ever seen.

Do you know where those headlights came from? I think I've fallen in love.

I like the idea of the shaved handles/bumperettes/logos etc, cleans up the whole car. Just be sure that the battery never runs low, or you'll be screwed getting in/out.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:07 PM
5speed300
Racer

I cant get passed the terrible fitment of those headlights. And the angel eyes are extremely questionable...borderline rice since it is not a BMW.

With a few tweaks can be a badass car though, has tons of potential.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:27 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Crazy that he shaved and filled the door handles, but left the damn alarm lock still installed......
Old 03-20-2007, 08:41 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

That is actually one of the coolest 944s I've ever seen.
Wow, well thank you!

i like it.... can i come see it this weekend?
Sounds good to me... I should be done with it by then. Give me a call and there will be beers here.

why did they go through all the trouble of shaving the door handles and not shave the alarm key hole? if you going keyless entry might as well go keyless alarm.
Yeah why shave the handles and not the alarm key? duh.
My thoughts exactly! I have no idea why they shaved the handles AND the hatch keyhole, but left the alarm hole on there...

Get the primer off the taillights and it wouldnt look too bad- maybe put the bumperettes back on- i think shaved n/a bumpers are the pits.
The pictures are decieving, believe me. The paint needs a whole bunch of wetsanding, as the goofy painter soaked the car in clearcoat... there are many, many runs on the car! I'm actually a fan of the front bumperettes being removed.

With a few tweaks can be a badass car though, has tons of potential.
I thought the same thing, and that's why I got it, really. It's decently rough, but I think it could be cool with some work done/completed.

To those asking, I believe they are the GT racing conversion, though not confirmed... and yes, as with any mass-produced fiberglass aftermarket piece, the fitment currently sucks. That's changing.

***UPDATES***
-I have decided to pull the drivers seat and install the black/yellow uber-bolstered seat in it's place. It really will go with the car, and anyone accepting the shaved doorhandles and headlight conversion will most likely be on board with the seat change as well.
-I have found that the car came with the factor sport suspension. I measured the swaybars, and it looks like they are the M030 bars! I measured the front to be 23.5mm (which is the 23.5x3mm tubular bar), and the rear to be 14.4mm (the 14mm optional bar).
-The passenger seat is the rare full-leather unit. I originally thought it was reupholstered, but I looked closer today, for the first time in the daylight, and it's certainly a good condition full-leather original!
-I just picked up some custom foglights that slide perfectly into the OE holes. I am going to modify their housings tonight and see if I can't pop them in there tonight or tomorrow.
-I'm going to work on getting the door jambs and metal interior sections painted black tonight and tomorrow.
-I have a lead on some aluminum sheet that I'm going to get a hold of soon, hopefully, and make some custom doorpanels, as there are none on there currently.
-I discovered the previous owner did a mod that I have been hoping to do to my red 951 for a while: he relocated the window switches to the center console! How very logical and convenient.

Pics will happen as soon as I get each item done.

If I get all the work done that I would like to, this car will be available for sale starting this weekend (Monday at the latest) for $2500 obo. If some of the work remains, I'll be asking $2000.

EDIT- I forgot to mention, the headlight bucket fitment won't be seen once I'm done. Once I make the covers, I will be painting their outer edge black.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:11 PM
Catfood
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like it with all the work on the outside will there be anything sneaky crazy under the hood?
Old 03-20-2007, 09:30 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Catfood, unfortunately I don't have any time here to fully complete this and put any tricks up its sleeve. I don't have much space and/or time to keep this car down here, so I'm just tidying up some loose ends on it and selling it however it stands on Sunday.

EDIT... I still have my silver 951 project car here, as well as my daily driver, haha. I need to get this car ready for Sunday, and get the silver car ready for paint. This one will be posted on Sunday, and hopefully the silver 951 will be posted about a week later, freshly painted!
Old 03-20-2007, 10:18 PM
jgporsche
Drifting

send me a pm with your number. you don't drink any of that miller lite crap, like the sailors, do ya? i also may be interested in the 951.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:26 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 504 Posts

God it's so gorgeous...I wish I was closer, I'd snap it up even though I currently have $-6000 in my pocket...

PLEASE keep it...I'll take it off your hands in a year or so, I promise.

If anything, try to source the headlights (not the bucket, but the actual bulbs and the housing they are in) if you can contact the PO. I'm seriously about to go rip out my pop-ups and buy a set of those.

Quick Reply: New project car with some custom work done (UPDATE: FOR SALE - $2100 obo)