Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picture request

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 09:11 PM
redmund
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picture request

Anybody got a photo of the factory wiring for the stereo in a 924S/early 944? There appears to be a total rat's nest of wires inside my dash where the PO removed the old one.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-19-2007, 09:20 PM
hpservertech
Pro

What do you need pictures of? Given the age of the wires your better off running new speaker wires even if the system is halfway decent.

For power there should be a green wire for constant, can't remember what the switched color is. Solid brown will be your ground. But it does help to have a volt meter to verify. When I did mine I removed the front/rear fader from the factory.

happy to help if I can.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:27 PM
Rrrockhound
Racer

From the 944 Stereo FAQ :

"The six-pin connector commonly used in mid-80s has two large pins and four smaller ones:

* Pin 1) Brown - Ground (large pin)
* Pin 2) Red - 12v switched power input (large pin)
* Pin 3) 12v illumination power input (from pin 4)
* Pin 4) 12v radio-switched output (to pin 3)
* Pin 5) 12v radio-switched output (to power antenna)
* Pin 6) Permanent 12v input (to maintain memory)

A second set of power connectors are provided for the optional equalizer/amplifier:

* Brown - Ground
* Red/white - Permanent 12v power
* Red/black - 12v when radio is switched on"
Old 03-19-2007, 09:31 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

heres what i found outthe other day- Large red is constant- red and white is constant- brown is ground- other part of the harness has the speakers- i matched the kenwood wiring up to the factory wiring and it was like this the white/white black=white/brownwhite - the green/green black=green/browngreen the grey/greyblack=black/brownblack and the purple/purpleblack=red/brownred. Not sure about any other antenna wiring etc, i had to jump a switched wire from a non-used switch harness.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:59 PM
redmund
Racer

Hpservertech, a photo of the connectors and the wires going into it that Rockhound describes in his post would be nice, as the connector is no longer in my car, so pin locations aren't a huge use to me.
That photo, along with Xsboost's info would help lots.

Thanks folks.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:51 PM
hpservertech
Pro

xsboost nailed the wires for the power, switched & ground. If the connectors aren't there for the speakers then there are 2 options for you. Easiest is to use a continuity tester to find what wire goes to what speaker. Best method though is to run new speaker wires. They do make a big difference in sound quality.

I'll try to get a picture or two tonight of my wiring with my Alpine DVD setup.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:55 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

funny thing w/ the speaker wires- the brown/color wires are actually the positive wires- so your solid wires from your stereo will go w/ the striped wires for the speakers.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:13 PM
hpservertech
Pro

Ooh and I forgot.....all the speaker wires are brown w/stripe. I didn't care for the current setup cause it's all going to be redone this weekend hopefully when the rest of the system goes in.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:00 PM
redmund
Racer

Went digging today and took some photos of what the PO left for me.

www.redmund.net/924/electrics

The bundle of wires in the first 2 photos, would that be where the old 6 pin connector would've been?

Pictures 3 and 4, I recognise the antenna connector, but what's the other bundle there.

For the last 4 photos, should I be worried about that empty connector, and what's that orange relay?
You can see it here again, if it helps you figure out where it is.

www.redmund.net/924/porsche_924S_012.html

Last edited by redmund; 03-20-2007 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:54 PM
redmund
Racer

bump?
Old 03-20-2007, 08:57 PM
hpservertech
Pro

first 2 pictures are some speaker cables, power, ground and switched power.

3rd & 4th are what I would clasify as fubar. There should also be a wire with the antanna. It will go to the antanna power wire from the radio. Is that to an antenna in the windshield or something else?

That blue wire doesn't look stock. Never seen a wire that color anywhere in my car. That 4 post connector looks brand new as well, dont know what that goes to or what connects to it, but it doesn't look right. Looks more like a headlight connector.

I really would get a volt meter. Something like this can be found at almost any electronics shop and are well worth it. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DIGIT...93679329QQrdZ1 You can use one of these to check for ground, voltage and continuity.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:02 AM
Dynamite 76
Instructor

Doesn't look like fun, I hope you get it sorted out. I found that taking out the center counsel helped in removing the rats nest someone created, though not as bad as what you have to deal with.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:21 PM
redmund
Racer

That blue wire is nothing to worry about. It would appear the car has a blown fuel pump relay or fuse, so the PO wired straight to the fuel pump, bypassing the relay. Currently I need to flip a switch in the centre console to turn on the pump and get the car running. New relay is on the way soon, so then that one small mess will be out the door.

This mess with the stereo wiring though, it's gonna suck hard. Oh well, cheers for the pointers and encouragement lads. Further reports to come when I've sorted this mess out.

Quick Reply: Picture request