Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$50 DIY paint

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 03:13 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

definitly looks better than before though!
Old 08-17-2007, 04:45 PM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 4001
The car does not look rennlist Porsche enthusiast acceptable
You'd be surprised at what we find acceptable...

Especially when the bar is closing and after many beers
Old 08-17-2007, 05:06 PM
944J
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it may look better than my paint job with a base coat and clear coat using top of the line paint! its all in the prep work and buffing and making sure you dont have drips.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:32 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Hoyt ROd magazine did a feature article about this a couple of months back, and came to much the same conclusion. Its a very acceptable paint job, particularly for a street driven car. No, it won't replace spending the big $'s for a show quality job, but its a nice compromise. It was a well written and interesting article, and I have a feeling we'll be seeing a lot more roller jobs in teh coming years.

Regards,
Old 08-18-2007, 12:01 AM
959Lover
Racer

This is something I would do. And no, not because I'm a Volkswagen driver, but because i'd want to:

a) do the job myself
b) experiment with colors on spare panels and actually see how they look on the car instead of a little metal plate that you look at under halogen lighting, so it always looks different....
c) spend the saved money on a supercharger project i have lined up
d) be able to shove my $50 paint job into people's faces that spent way more on their crappy jobs.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:02 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

total cost steve? any bigger pics?
Old 08-18-2007, 01:08 AM
Steve 4001
Advanced

heres my reply on the moparts forum that describes my process:

Background: I have owned this car for nearly four years now. The previous owner had cheaply resprayed over the factory paint. Over years of sitting outside in the sun the paint began to peel off and scatches became more severe. It looked terrible! I had some free time and needed to repaint the car on a poor college student budget.

My steps and method I used:
Prepping:
*Sanded entire car with 120 grit sandpaper with random orbital sander, long block sander, and by hand until car was even to the touch. On extremely bad areas i used 50 grit sand paper, then used 120 grit to even it out.
*Next used Bondo fix a rust bubble and any obvious dents. Sprayed the dried Bondo with 3 coats of Rustoleum Automotive spray primer.
*I did a basic job of masking off lights, door handles, trim, and glass instead of removing them.
*Washed entire car with dishsoap and water. Once completely dry, wiped car down with tack cloth.

Painting:
*Thinned Rustoleum Professional Smoke Gray to just slightly thicker than water using 100% Mineral Spirits (not the odorless kind).
*Sprayed car lightly using Black and Decker Pro paint sprayer and wiggly thing attachment. (1st coat was extremely light and careful to avoid and dripping. In a few instances there was slight dripping which could be lightly smudged out, once paint leveled it was nearly unnoticeable.)
*After a night of drying, I wetsanded the car using 400 grit sand paper to remove any orange peel.
*Applied a second coat of paint using same method.
*Let dry another night, wetsanded using 600 grit sand paper to smooth remaining orange peel.
*Applied a third coat of paint extremely thin and fine.
*Another night of drying, then carefully wetsanded the car using 1500 grit sand paper, then 2000 grit sand paper.

After the final wetsanding, I polished the car using Turtle Wax polishing compound and a cheap orbital buffer.

Results were 1000% better than the car looked before. There is some areas where light orange peel is still noticeable and you can tell we messed up in the painting process. But overall I am extremely satisfied with the outcome!

Total Cost: Around 200 dollars (after many trips to the Ace I stopped keeping count of small expenses) including everything mentioned except the Black and Decker paint sprayer, which I got for free in a promotion.

My initial plan was to roller the car, but after I got the sprayer i decided to experiment a little after doing some reading here and on the Honda forum.

After one week the paint is hard and survived a 200 mile road trip with no unobservable issues or flaws. The paint still has a slight paint smell if you put your nose to it, but I suspect that will go away as the paint continues to harden.

I couldn't upload a large larger picture due to Rennlist's attachment size limit. So I apologize for the imageshack links:
Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3
Picture 3 Showing extent of orange peel

had i spent more time or had been a more experienced wetsander i feel the orange peel could have been further minimized.

My total cost was around $200. I didn't keep exact records of the cost. It sounds expensive, but that is including the random orbital sander, and all materials used in the prep process, painting (i bought rollers, paint tray, ext even though i didnt use them), and finishing stage + many trips to Ace/Lowes for little things I was lacking. The cost of the paint sprayer wasn't included because i got it for free.

Overall i enjoyed the project. It was definitely an adventure, I learned alot, and now I have no reservations about trying to do a real paint job if i had the equipment.

Here is a link to my flickr page with some pictures from my project.

i did an OK prep job, removing only the front bumpers, and some of the trim. I taped over the windows (including hatch), door handles, lights, alarm, hood crest, and rear bumperettes.

there is some over spray, but acceptable for the minimal body parts removal.

it wont win any awards but its not embarrassing anymore lol.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:27 AM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

nice looking work, especially for $200 (which doesn't sound expensive at all compared to a $5000+ professional paint job)

I'll have to keep this in mind in the future for a track car...
Old 08-18-2007, 08:52 PM
mrfurious
1st Gear

My friend is into Hondas and when I first got my 944 he sent me a link to this thread from a board he frequents, it has a lot of info on this method
honda-tech.c*m/zerothread?id=1555133
Old 08-20-2007, 07:04 PM
mgbdoc
Intermediate

Thumbs up DIY Paint

In 1979 I painted a MG with Rusteloum using a paint brush on the flat surfaces and spray cans on the curved and vertical surfaces. My neighbor thought it was done by a paint shop. Looked very good at 10 feet. I never wet sanded or buffed it and it keep the shine for about 6-7 years.
Don't let anyone put you or the paint job down. If it is what you want to - or can afford to spend, go for it. Not everbody has the 4-5K to give to a body shop. I spend 30 hours on body work and paint on my race car and went out and put into the tire wall on the first day!!!

Ron Shellenberger

Quick Reply: $50 DIY paint