Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny just installed. All gears too far to the left?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 06:39 AM
pozican
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny just installed. All gears too far to the left?

Just had the tranny installed.

When I started driving it, all the gears are tilted WAY left! wth!

My first is WAY over towards me, and my 5th / R are where my 3rd / 4th should be!

Never did a tranny before, and don't know where to start

thanks,
-poz
Old 03-11-2007, 08:49 AM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need to adjust your shift lever so that when it is in neutral it is straight up. On the tranny shifter linkage, there is a flat piece of steel that bolts to the tranny and to the shifter linkage that actually crosses at the top of the tranny. (it's in a perpendicular position rather than parallel) There is a 13mm? bolt and nut that can be loosened and you have some adjustment there that will tilt your shift lever inside the car from side to side. Adjust it so your lever inside the car is pointing straight up and then tighten the bolt. That should take care of it.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:16 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yups
Old 03-11-2007, 01:04 PM
pozican
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you guys so much!

On the way home it was pretty late, I was pretty tired, and all of a sudden, I wasn't sure what gear I was in to downshift!

Created quite the problem.

On somewhat related note, how hard are synchros to do?
Old 03-12-2007, 11:42 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep,
I did this fix on another 944 spec car at the track last saturday. He could not get into 5th/reverse and his lever was very angled. You need to look at the linkage and the 13 mm and 10 mm bolts. Both should drop in to holes in linkage. If not they will not be lined up. BTW.. don't tighen too much as they are easy to bust off if you try to strong arm things. (oh.. both are on the tranny end of things)
Old 03-12-2007, 11:45 AM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by aribop
You need to adjust your shift lever so that when it is in neutral it is straight up. On the tranny shifter linkage, there is a flat piece of steel that bolts to the tranny and to the shifter linkage that actually crosses at the top of the tranny. (it's in a perpendicular position rather than parallel) There is a 13mm? bolt and nut that can be loosened and you have some adjustment there that will tilt your shift lever inside the car from side to side. Adjust it so your lever inside the car is pointing straight up and then tighten the bolt. That should take care of it.
I think the shop manual states the shifter should be centered and tilted slightly towards the rear. I'll look it up...

Quick Reply: Tranny just installed. All gears too far to the left?