Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Everyone tells me 'no,' but I still want a Turbo... Is it too much car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 07:47 PM
Chwatson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Everyone tells me 'no,' but I still want a Turbo... Is it too much car?

At the moment I have an Alpine White '83 with a short shifter, konis, a bigger torsion bar, and a 'performance' exhaust consisting of a glasspack (it was the PO, honest, though it does sound pretty good). It also has a few other minor mods, here and there, but apart from the upgraded H4's upfront, not much worth mentioning. Anyway, for a few weeks I'd been checking around online and kept seeing one modded turbo for sale from the same guy I'd bought my '83 from. He's a good guy (he got me addicted to these cars afterall when he let my dad and I blast around in a 968 on Daytona at Rennsport II), but when i asked about the car (just in passing), he said it was "too fast." He knew I wasn't referring to THAT turbo specifically (because it honestly was TOO fast... chips, MAF, and a few other things that apparently kicked it over 300 whp). But the fact remains, the turbo in his eyes was unnecessary. (To which I responded by pointing to my car in the parking lot and saying "THAT'S unnecessary... But it doesn't change the fact that I want a turbo ")

Most people (except my dad, of all people) say that a turbo is just too much car for almost anyone, more specifically me. (I say 'anyone' because these guys mostly have fire-breathing 951 track cars that they've slammed into damn near every wall at Sebring, and know what these puppies are capable of). I learned some time ago that it isn't about how fast you're going, but how fast it feels like. Despite that revelation, and the fact that not only is my 944 superbly capable of creating the sensation of speed, but also fast outright, I still want a turbo...

Manual steering, upgraded suspension, and so forth, means that I have (in my thoroughly biased (AND CORRECT!!) opinion) one of, if not the, best handling cars ever made. I've heard the Turbo, when compared to the early 944 NA, feels more emotionally detached. But... I still want a turbo (seeing a theme here?).

At the end of this semester I will be moving Off-Campus and into a house with a few friends. It's in a nice neighborhood, with a garage, and so forth. But it's only 2 miles away from UCF, which imo, is worse than it being 10 miles away because that short trip of heat-up/cool-down puts a lot of stress on a car, and as far as I can tell, an NA would deal with it much better. To summarize this situation, a turbo would cost more, a turbo would be less reliable, a turbo would need to go out and stretch its legs on long drives every few days, and I have an amazingly capable NA (that was an absolute steal), perfectly suited for the situation. But.... I. STILL. WANT. A. TURBO.

Do I wait a few very painful years, until it makes more sense to buy one, or give in and live 'on the edge' (financially, mentally, etc.) now (or, rather soon)?
Old 02-25-2007, 08:00 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

truthfully- keep the n/a and buy a nice turbo after you graduate. The turbo may not be too much car for you but being in college and skipping classes to work on your car like i did doesnt pay off.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:06 PM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm on my second 951.
They cost a lot (excluding purchase).
I almost lost my license.
I can't tell you the things that were written on my windshield while parked at campus.
Hang onto the n/a for a while longer, it will pay off in the long run.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:06 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Dan speaks wisdom and i agree 100%.

Anyone who knows me personally knows the lust i have for a 944 Turbo or a 930 Turbo (I blame the 930 on my father for almost buying one i test drove). Keep the 944 kicking around for the 4 years you are in school, graduate and once you start making money, then get the car. You will have far more financial freedom to do whatever you want to the car and buy one that suits your taste.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:17 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Look at an S2, I think that's my next step. Nearly as much power as a turbo, all the turbo components except the engine and trans, maybe a little cheaper than the turbo, definitely more reliable.

If you keep the cam chain and tensioner in good shape, I don't think it's any more trouble than a regular 944.

Last edited by yellowline; 02-25-2007 at 08:51 PM.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:27 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yellowline
Look at an S2, I think that's my next step. Nearly as much power as a turbo, all the turbo components except the engine and trans, maybe a little cheaper than the turbo, definitely more reliable.
+1. A stock turbo isnt 'too much of a car' in terms of power, however it might be too much to handle in terms of maitenence and like Dan said, youd be skipping classes to work on your car.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:31 PM
Rrrockhound
Racer

Originally Posted by Chwatson
Do I wait a few very painful years, until it makes more sense to buy one, or give in and live 'on the edge' (financially, mentally, etc.) now (or, rather soon)?
Do NOT under any circumstances 'live on the edge' (financially) for a car. BTDT. No car is worth it. Life is long (and so is the seven years you have to wait for a negative mark on your credit record to disappear because you thought you could make ends meet). In the meantime, that Turbo will make demands on your finances you never imagined. Maintenance will be deferred until you can afford it. Do you get the feeling I speak from experience? I do.

In your life, you will lust after, own, get rid of, and nearly totally forget many cars. The 951 of your dreams is out there somewhere, and you'll enjoy it that much more if you wait.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:33 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 107 Posts

My son is only 19 and lost his license from driving the 83 N/A and the tickets that seemed to go with it. If he had been in my 951 he would probably be dead or in jail. Even the NA was a cop magnet and it was bone stock white. Drive the NA through college and concentrate on your future first. You'll be a better and more mature driver if you wait awhile and the insurance won't be as bad either. I know the turbo tug is strong but fight the urge for now IMO. 2nd bit of advice: Don't listen to Old Men!
Old 02-25-2007, 08:43 PM
GTSilver944
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah, I'm in the same boat as you. I've been dreaming of a turbo or S2, but I think I might as well wait. I've been driving a horrible saturn while painting the NA. It's all relative. While the turbo may smoke an NA, the NA is still better than 99% of all other cars.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:02 PM
Wes-P
Instructor

I bought my first NA off ebay from a complete scumbag who compeltely screwed me over on the car, it blew the head less than a week later with a completely ****hole job of trying to cover up the front end damage with chicken wire. It was a horrible experience. But when i gathered up the rest of my money and sold off what i could of the car, i bought a turbo. Highly modified, sounds like something your trying to get at. And havent looked back, except now that i realized i dont know how to do my own maintainance and my money is on the drain spot.

But the car itself, I have luckily not gotten a ticket, and only had the cops look my way because of some shady friends. But it truely is a completely different experience than my NA was for the short period of time that i had it.

But like these guys are saying, keep on wanting and saving until its a viable option, then it will be that much sweeter because you can spend the money youve earned on things for it, rather than scraping change off the floorboard for laundy mats.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:35 PM
jmporsche944
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts

I was in your spot. Right now im almost 19, and at Rutgers. I have my car at school. My first car was an N/A and all I wanted was a turbo. I liked the car, but all I could think about was how I wished it was a turbo. I decided to make the jump when a good deal turned up. I can honestly say that, although it has been financially stupid, looking back, I am so happy I did it. Everything about the turbo is better imo. You only have one chance to be 18, dont do anything stupid, but if you can swing the turbo, then go for it. Dont sit back and let time pass wishing you had something else.

-Jeff
Old 02-25-2007, 09:41 PM
JonH
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by yellowline

If you keep the cam chain and tensioner in good shape, I don't think it's any more trouble than a regular 944.
Ehhh... did the S2, got tired of the relative lack of power, great car, one of my favorite 4cyl. engines to look at, but just make me want the turbo. Good advice here, drive the 44, gain experience and money to buy a nice turbo and pay CASH for the car, you won't regret it!
Old 02-25-2007, 10:05 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by xsboost90
truthfully- keep the n/a and buy a nice turbo after you graduate. The turbo may not be too much car for you but being in college and skipping classes to work on your car like i did doesnt pay off.
+1!!!
Old 02-25-2007, 10:12 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it's been my experience that the turbo is a good, after graduation present to yourself. Mine's not broken down at all, but it's the little things... and the modifications... that make these cars expensive. I did motor mounts on it, for $600.00... (partially my choice because I took it to the dealer for those), and all that stuff will nickle and dime you to death man.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:00 PM
hockeydude
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chwatson
To summarize this situation, a turbo would cost more, a turbo would be less reliable, a turbo would need to go out and stretch its legs on long drives every few days, and I have an amazingly capable NA (that was an absolute steal), perfectly suited for the situation. But.... I. STILL. WANT. A. TURBO.

Wow. We must be long lost brothers. I have the same situation (almost) and am craving the boost. I think that i will TRY to controll myself and wait another 4 years before endulging myself in the goodness that is 9-5-1.

I know....we have hard lives!!

(although i still smile every time i see my NA! )

Quick Reply: Everyone tells me 'no,' but I still want a Turbo... Is it too much car?