Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Vibration downshifting into second...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 06:12 PM
jbrill
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

trans mount is almost brand new. It is for sure somehtign to do in the exhaust
Old 02-20-2007, 06:50 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

Are all the mounts/clamps connected to your exhaust system? I have a slight rattle in mine because I'm missing the first mount on the cat back pipe of the factory muffler. It's rubbing on my heat shield.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:26 AM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Got the car back new clutch and motor mounts - problem solved. No vibration unfortunately also no aircon so its back to the aircon shop whom fixed it a month ago.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:48 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JohanvdWalt
Why not down shift to second or brake with the tranny? I do all the time and have done so for many years on many cars. Specially on trackdays it help you slow down a hole lot quicker and not over cooking the brakes.
Why? I can tell you why:
Originally Posted by JohanvdWalt
Got the car back new clutch and motor mounts - problem solved. No vibration unfortunately also no aircon so its back to the aircon shop whom fixed it a month ago.
How much did that bill run you? A clutch job on our cars are far more expensive than a brake job...

Granted, you will wear out a clutch via normal use (without downshifting), but downshifting to slow the car down will but unnecessary wear and tear on the unit.

Sorry that I sound like a broken record player about this, but it seems that a lot of folks do this, and it is a very bad technique.

jbrill: have you narrowed it down to the exhaust? Truthfully, I can't see how a loose exhaust system would cause such bad vibrations. I've had a loose exhaust system (rear rubber hangers were ripped) and didn't experience any harsh vibrations...

-Z-man.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:41 PM
jbrill
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

havent had time to get under the car again, i will on friday. im 99% sure its the exhasut i know for a fact i have at least one loose hanger down there. and it only started doing this after i messed with the exhaust.
I also have a rattle from the backfot he car after a hard run down the highway or when the trans has time to get nice and warm. 5th gear idler problem? sounds like marbles in a can. There is no way this is a clutch problem, i know the spring centered clutches magnify the sound a lot more than the rubber ones though.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:47 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by Z-man
I love the smell of a burning clutch plate in the morning...
You should have been with me that one time I started off the light in 2nd..
Old 02-21-2007, 03:40 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me get off my 'don't downshift' soapbox for a moment and actually offer some other things to look at:

jbrill - check the following:

1. Tire pressures on all four tires.
2. If you are running directional tires, check to see that they were installed properly after working on the exhaust, if they were removed.
3. Check to see if you have all the weights on your wheels - one may have fallen off, and one of your tires is unbalanced. Often you get violent vibrations on decelleration, or accelleration, but not always both, and sometimes not at constant speed.
4. Do you hear a tick-tick-tick that speeds up or slows down when the car speeds up / slows down? If so, check your CV joints - you may have one that's going bad. (Check the driver's side inner - that's usually the one that goes first)
5. Check your swaybars - see if they are properly fastened, and check all of the rubber bushings on your suspension as well.

I'm not convinced it is our exhaust that's causing your vibration, but working on it may have caused something else to get out of wack.

-Z-man.

Quick Reply: Bad Vibration downshifting into second...