Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944S motor mounts: Don't fit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 08:08 PM
Christopher Zach
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 47 Posts
Default 944S motor mounts: Don't fit?

In repairing my 944S I decided to replace the motor mounts. Removed the bolts, jacked up the motor, started with the driver's side one.

However the new motor mounts (the 944 Turbo style, 04) don't seem to fit. The rubber part that goes into the mount holder on the car has a "lip" that is too big so the mount sits too far inside to mate with the engine side of the mount holder.

Is there a trick for getting these mounts to fit in a 944S? Do I have to compress them somehow?

Chris
Old 02-11-2007, 08:17 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The angles are tricky. Have you tried putting both mounts in loose and let the engine seat them as you lower it? A little rocking it might help.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:24 PM
Christopher Zach
Rennlist Member

Ok, so they are supposed to fit? I was considering sanding down the rubber a bit to make it fit.

The engine didn't seat them; it just sat on their edge. I'm wondering if this is "normal"

Chris
Old 02-11-2007, 08:42 PM
Christopher Zach
Rennlist Member

In reading some of the posts I notice that everyone has to drop the crossmember. I did not do this; I just jacked up the motor at the oil pain. Then again my motor is currently missing a head, exhaust, and just about everything else on the top of the engine. So maybe this is not much of a problem? Or is this the key as to why I can't get the rubber in?

Chris
Old 02-11-2007, 08:58 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

You will still have the same geometry either way. You may have to start one side and thread fasteners on just far enough to keep it from coming apart, then roll the engine to the opposite side to get the correct aligment.

Did you loose mount the MM's to the engine side first, then try lowering the assy into the xmember?
Old 02-11-2007, 11:06 PM
Christopher Zach
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ibkevin
You will still have the same geometry either way. You may have to start one side and thread fasteners on just far enough to keep it from coming apart, then roll the engine to the opposite side to get the correct aligment.

Did you loose mount the MM's to the engine side first, then try lowering the assy into the xmember?
No, didn't try that as I was running out of sun and it's supposed to snow on Tuesday. Will try again this weekend.

Another thought is I could try lubricating the top of the engine mount with electrician's "snot" which is used to pull cable through conduit. It's slippery but totally non-reactive to rubber and metal. Or I could use some silicon spray.

The new mount is slightly taller than the old one; this might be due to the old one being compressed. The one thing that worries me is a jack failure dropping the motor on my hand, so I'd better use the best jack for the job.

My guess is the motor won't go up high normally because of all the intake pipes and the exhaust manifold. I might put as a suggestion: "Take off the whole head, intake and exhaust" but I am guessing people would not do this.

Chris
Old 02-12-2007, 12:13 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is why I'm taking my 951 to the dealer for this. bills out at 3 hours, which means it'd take me 8, with blood, sweat, and tears involved... I figure, I'd just cut my losses and pay to have them installed, and that way it has a 2 year warranty.

Also, while I was at the dealer shopping for genuine OEM motor mounts, I saw different part numbers between the 944S and the rest of em... could they be diffferent in fact?
Old 02-12-2007, 01:48 AM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Chris, a shop crane works best, then comes this little bend-pak goodie. Both of them get you out of harms way of a jack supported load. Keep your personal parts out of pinch zones, a length of wood is much easier to replace!

The snot may help the seating after getting the mounts attached to the engine side first, it's good that the new mounts are taller, that's the whole reason for going through all this fun!

Many here have proven that removing the head with the exhaust mani is the way to go.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:50 AM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

The feet of this little jewel fit right into the chanels at the top of the fenders...

Last edited by ibkevin; 08-01-2013 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:43 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I needed to drop my crossmember. But I didn't want to, so I just lowered one side of the crossmember at a time. It still wasn't enough, so I just chopped 5mm off the mount studs and it worked.

Mine was a regular 944 though so I can't be sure if it's exactly the same for you.

Quick Reply: 944S motor mounts: Don't fit?