Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oh, boost is calling me

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 02:27 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Default oh, boost is calling me

When I started shopping for a 944, I decided that unless it was a great deal and in good condition, a 951 was going to be too much cost and upkeep. But now that I've seen how much cost/upkeep a regular old 944 can be if it isn't taken care of properly, and how easy it is to work on (as long as you've got the time), I kind of wish that I had spent a bit more on an S or a turbo. Deep down, even though I would like the S immediate pickup, my 325ci has got 190ftlbs of torque and is great off the line. What I really want is a turbo. And you know, a good audible blow-off valve. Nothing too ricey. But the *phoosh* is kind of what I want. So, if anyone is going to be in NC and would like to show off their turbo, I would like to experience one first hand. And if anyone is looking to get rid of their 951 in the future, especially if they have any interest in a 89 NA that has had all of its work recently done, let me know. I need boost. Not necessarily right now. But I will need it.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:26 AM
Catfood
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HAHAHA, we feel the same, but we are seperated by many miles.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:32 AM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Whats the story on your 89'?
Old 01-26-2007, 11:41 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Oh, the '89. Ask me again after this weekend! It was super cheap up-front. Dash is the worst I have ever seen. The whole interior, save the seats (surprisingly enough) is pretty torn up. But the body is in excellent shape, and the paint actually is good too after a wash and wax.

Mechanically, I was okay with buying the car because the engine ran well. About everything else is in usable shape. Clutch works, doesn't seem to slip, but I think it needs some slave cylinder help. That little plunger thing in the inspection hole doesn't go out far enough, and the clutch starts to engage as soon as the pedal comes off the floor. Transmission has some sort of contact in 5th gear that is very bad.

My mechanic just finished doing the belt/pump (wish I had tried myself), which is going to cost about as much as the car did. I also have a boat load of parts waiting at home for me. Koni sports (anyone got some advice on that strut mod, by the way?) and ball joint rebuild kits mainly. But there are so many little things wrong, some of which I have fixed or will be fixing shortly. Tach, oil sender, sunroof, lights inside and out, thermostat, radio, 3rd brake light, rear defrost. I've learned a lot about the car patching that stuff up though. In the next few weeks it will come together a lot, but it is still hard to sit in it and get the same feeling that it is a functioning car like sitting in a newer car that has been taken care of its whole life. Just found a guy with a DE 951 in Chapel Hill. I'm going to go look at it sometime in the next few days.

But the story is it will be raced this year.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:16 PM
amschnellsten
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any bo valve will give you the woosh if you turn up the boost.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:44 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Avoid the S if you want instant torque. I've AXed my uncle's S and I find my 8v stronger off the line and when pulling out of corners at <4000. Really, the S doesn't feel significantly better at any point in the powerband. You get a higher redline to work with, which might be nice in autocross. That's it.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:31 PM
allergic2milk
Racer

I personally do not have a turbo, but my very good friend, Gray does, (he's 5speed300 on here) This coming weekend we will be hanging out, so you welcome to attend. Im sure he would be more than happy to show you his 951.

However he is a UNC student
Old 01-29-2007, 09:23 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Originally Posted by amschnellsten
any bo valve will give you the woosh if you turn up the boost.
That's very colloquial. Thank you for the brief poem.
See, I didn't know that, because I've never had a turbo car.

I rode in

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...2067&rd=1&rd=1

over the weekend. The difference in acceleration is unbelievable. Granted, it is turbo AND gutted for weight. But man. Oh man. Hey allergic2milk, about to pm you about this weekend.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:28 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gifted with an '83, got an '87... for the bbbboooooooooooooooooosst!

Simple enough?

Quick Reply: oh, boost is calling me