Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Under Drive Pulley Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 06:12 PM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now just start scraping all that heavy tar insulation out and don't put back anything that will slow you down
Old 01-17-2007, 06:16 PM
fork_included
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave951M
Now just start scraping all that heavy tar insulation out and don't put back anything that will slow you down
already done, that picture is a month old.

the heater core is gone too, and half of that wiring .... *whistle
Old 01-17-2007, 06:22 PM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ditch the electric windows too, get regulators from an early 924.

Seriously, while I am down to just the non-functional 931 at the moment, I am driving around a VW Scirocco that weighs in at 1800 with a 16v engine. Interior is best described as "spartan" with only one OMP seat, no ac, ps, radio of any type etc, just the necessary stuff like a steering wheel and pedals. Year model, depends on what you're looking at 83 to 86
Old 01-18-2007, 04:04 AM
pjburges
Burning Brakes

Kind of off topic but an important thing to note for those of you who just got a bug to switch to a manual rack from this thread -
The 1983 944's manual rack required a universal shaft (the one that goes from the firewall to the rack) that's about 1 inch longer than any other universal shaft on any other 944 even other manual racks from 944's.
I found this out by tearing up my knuckles and learning that all the other 944s had a shorter shaft.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:54 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by pjburges
The 1983 944's manual rack required a universal shaft (the one that goes from the firewall to the rack) that's about 1 inch longer than any other universal shaft on any other 944 even other manual racks from 944's.
Not true. The intermediate shaft on all LHD manual rack 944 cars (with the exception of the Turbo Cup cars, that is another subject alltogether) is the same length, the 83 isn't special in that regard. There is only one part#.

For reference, there is a good write up on the manual rack swap process that includes this info, in the 944 DIY section on this forum.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:16 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally Posted by fork_included
the benefit of lighter engine pullies (accesory or entire engine set) regardless of price.

and my position that the benefits are there, and while very small compared to alot of other things, they are there, and are large enough to give people a seat of pants difference.
Seat of pants difference? Doubtfull. If someone can notice a .5-1hp gain they have one sensitive ***.

the altho, it could simply be a placebo effect
There ya go.

i mean, take the throttle body ring-thing they sell for porsches, like, wtf, ive never even heard of such a contraption till i laid my hands on a porsche, but apperantly its one of the best mods out there that has left lots of people happy.
That's entirely different. That mod does make a noticable change in drivability due to changing the profile of the cam to a round unit, thus changing the rate of cable take-up on initial pedal depression. While it doesn't change hp at all, it does certainly help.

And we're only talking about $20 or so, with about a 10 minute investment in personal time to change. How much are underdrive pulleys? I would contend that for the minute difference they would make, you would see more gain by going more traditional methods like deleting the A/C and power steering pump, eliminating the parasitic drag of those components completely and also losing weight in the process.

I know you're a dreamer and like to play devils advocate on everything that is posted on this forum, and that's all good. But honestly, if funds were unlimited, would you even be talking about underdrive pulleys on a 944 N/A motor? Nope. You'd be doing some sort of worthwhile motor swap or going to a different car alltogether. So that's where my commentary about "bang for the buck" came from.

BTW, those pulleys posted on page 3 look very nice.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:18 PM
pjburges
Burning Brakes

I swear to you there are two part numbers lol - Ill go look into it you may be right - I also never got to see the car the rack came out of - I had it shipped from a junkyard out of state. Then I had to call them up and have them ship me the intermediate shaft off of that car as well. A crashed turbo cup car?
Old 01-18-2007, 12:46 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

The intermediate shaft on the power units is shorter when compared to the manual shaft (can't remember by how much, but about an inch or slightly less sounds right). It is shorter because of the pump on the rack. I think you got a shaft from a power equipped car.

Quick Reply: Under Drive Pulley Question