Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Under Drive Pulley Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 04:32 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might pick up a half hp gain and maybe a few milliseconds of response. Not worth your time. You wanna get serious, delete balance shafts, go higher comp, get a cam, delete everything but a small alternator and strip the car.

Pulleys? Not worth your time.

Oh yeah, and anything short of an SI in the Honda FWD line is not performance intended. They are commuter cars, A-B, it just so happens there is an aftermarket for them. But they are labeled economy cars for a reason.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:45 PM
fork_included
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MPD47
You might pick up a half hp gain and maybe a few milliseconds of response. Not worth your time. You wanna get serious, delete balance shafts, go higher comp, get a cam, delete everything but a small alternator and strip the car.

Pulleys? Not worth your time.

Oh yeah, and anything short of an SI in the Honda FWD line is not performance intended. They are commuter cars, A-B, it just so happens there is an aftermarket for them. But they are labeled economy cars for a reason.
i'm not disputing that, but from what i understood we're discussing engines not whole car packages

and my point is that honda engines shouldnt be clowned on.

=========================

half a hp and a few milliseconds of reponse time..

has there been a documented comparision on idential vehicles? how where the results compared?

Old 01-17-2007, 04:46 PM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

A friend of mine has designed a number of different pulleys for our cars. He has also made lightweight adjustable cam pulleys, lightweight crank pulleys, lightened and balanced balance shaft pulleys (the stock pieces are woefully unbalanced), and is in the process of completing the design of the complete underdrive pulley setup. Total weight savings for the entire package will be fairly significant, but the biggest improvement is the increased balance of the assembly resulting in smoother running and less belt noise. I was talking to him about starting a Rennlist group buy for these - would there be any interest? Obviously I'd get John's approval before anything official.

Old 01-17-2007, 04:53 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave951M
Also, manual is slightly faster lock to lock.
Isn't it the other way around? I thought the manual rack required more revolutions of the steering wheel to go from lock to lock. Isn't it something like 3.8 revolutions for manual, 3.2 revolutions for power?

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding what you mean by "faster lock to lock"?

Anyway, Paul, I saw those on the other forum, those are some nice looking pulleys ^ ^ ^ !
Old 01-17-2007, 04:54 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are underdrive pulleys on the market:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSC...75181317QQrdZ1

I believe these are the guys from broadfoot under a new name on ebay. I have had a bad experience in the past with them.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:56 PM
fork_included
Pro

Originally Posted by 944 Fanatic
A friend of mine has designed a number of different pulleys for our cars. He has also made lightweight adjustable cam pulleys, lightweight crank pulleys, lightened and balanced balance shaft pulleys (the stock pieces are woefully unbalanced), and is in the process of completing the design of the complete underdrive pulley setup. Total weight savings for the entire package will be fairly significant, but the biggest improvement is the increased balance of the assembly resulting in smoother running and less belt noise. I was talking to him about starting a Rennlist group buy for these - would there be any interest? Obviously I'd get John's approval before anything official.
raises hand
Old 01-17-2007, 05:05 PM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Porsche guys aren't "all about boost". If you look carefully, there are plenty of ricers out there doing the same thing. From a perspective, the duh's you're talking about are nearly all 10+ years younger.

Let's look at this in a more realistic way. Like Colin Chapman (remember him?) said, to go fast add lightness. You'll get a good bang for the buck by doing weight reduction and it won't stress the engine and tranny one bit. Toss the upper back seat half, leave the spare and jack in the garage, delete the rear wiper and don't even think about thumpin subs. Get some panels from GT racing, make sure your wheels are not heavy bling bling, change the seat out for a sparco or similar. At this point, you'll find that the car accelerates quicker and you haven't even stressed the engine any.

Key to this- ditch weight, sprung and unsprung, learn to drive, then think about more hp.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:24 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by shiners780
Isn't it the other way around? I thought the manual rack required more revolutions of the steering wheel to go from lock to lock. Isn't it something like 3.8 revolutions for manual, 3.2 revolutions for power?

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding what you mean by "faster lock to lock"?

Anyway, Paul, I saw those on the other forum, those are some nice looking pulleys ^ ^ ^ !
Correct, the power unit takes less turns to lock than the manual unit (because the ratio is higher............makes sense don't it?).

Still I wouldn't trade the feel of the real manual unit for less turns to lock. Once you get used to it the difference in ratio isn't missed or noticed.

to go fast add lightness
True dat. I might be getting old, but I am starting to think my lightweight N/A is fast enough for me. I'm pretty happy with it just the way it is.

I would venture to say there are many things that are more "bang for your N/A buck" than underdrive pulleys.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:27 PM
fork_included
Pro

Originally Posted by tifosiman
I would venture to say there are many things that are more "bang for your N/A buck" than underdrive pulleys.
what if you have alot of bucks?

Old 01-17-2007, 05:32 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by fork_included
what if you have alot of bucks?

You could buy anything you wanted.

You could even pay some couple that was down and out on their luck in Vegas enough money so that the beautiful wife would spend an evening with you. It would probably break up their marriage though when the husband finds regret afterwards and just can't handle it. I guess anything is possible. But I digress..............what were we talking about again?
Old 01-17-2007, 05:36 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

944 Fanatic, based on price and the actual difference in weight difference i would be interested in a set.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:46 PM
fork_included
Pro

Originally Posted by tifosiman
what were we talking about again?
the benefit of lighter engine pullies (accesory or entire engine set) regardless of price.

and my position that the benefits are there, and while very small compared to alot of other things, they are there, and are large enough to give people a seat of pants difference

altho, it could simply be a placebo effect, but still, i believe a quality made piece will create a noticable difference in feel for the car.

i mean, take the throttle body ring-thing they sell for porsches, like, wtf, ive never even heard of such a contraption till i laid my hands on a porsche, but apperantly its one of the best mods out there that has left lots of people happy.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:55 PM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

Thats not such a modification as it is routine maintenance. Rubber O-rings deteriorate over time and cause a vacuum leak. If fixing vacuum leaks is a modification then I guess it counts.

I'll see what I can do with respect to getting price information, as I've gotten a few PM's and there seems to be some interest here. The offering would be a few different chioces:
1) Adjustable cam/crank pulley set (2 pulleys - adjustable cam pulley and lightweight crank-mounted balance shaft pulley). The crank mounted cam belt pulley is too small for any real gains and is left stock.
2) Underdrive serpentine belt set. Would include crank mounted V-belt pulley, Alternator pulley, power steering pulleys (the gains here are not so much from underdriving accessories as they are from lightening the rotating assembly and balancing everything to a higher level of tolerance. These are still in the design and proto phase)
3) Balance shaft pulleys (these are modified stock units so there may be a core)
4) The entire kit inclusive of all of the above.

Again unsure on what pricing will be dependant upon quantity, but I'll check and get back with the group. Again, if we decided to do it I'd be sure to ask John D for permission first.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:57 PM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The funny thing is the throttle cam doesn't "add" anything. It just changes the position relative to the pedal in the car.

If you really want to be sneaky, ditch lots of weight from the car, get a wrecked 951S, transfer suspension, drivetrain, etc. Not like it hasn't been done before.....

Yes, I had the lock to lock backwards, even so, I'd rather have the manual any day. One less thing to leak on the swaybar bushing.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:59 PM
fork_included
Pro

Originally Posted by Dave951M
The funny thing is the throttle cam doesn't "add" anything. It just changes the position relative to the pedal in the car.

If you really want to be sneaky, ditch lots of weight from the car, get a wrecked 951S, transfer suspension, drivetrain, etc. Not like it hasn't been done before.....

Yes, I had the lock to lock backwards, even so, I'd rather have the manual any day. One less thing to leak on the swaybar bushing.
i'm already knee deep in alot of things at once.. hopefuly it will be done before spring.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y16...r/casc-pic.jpg

Quick Reply: Under Drive Pulley Question