Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pressure Relief Valve/Leak ID?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 11:56 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure Relief Valve/Leak ID?

I seem to have an oil leak...

As best I can figure, it's either coming from somewhere around the oil pressure relief valve which is under the oil filter (which is imposible to change without making a mess) and next to the oil pressure sender. I checked both the oil pressure sender and the oil filter (both appear to be tight). Amongst other bolts and whatnot, I found that the oil pressure sender bolt had a drop of oil on it.

So I have a couple of questions...

Everything seemed tight, what are the possble sources of a leaks in that area? I'll gladly check whatever it is again.

What does the oil pressure relive valve actually do? For comparison, I opened it up on the dead engine I still have and all I found in there was a spring. How does this thing work? What does it do? I looked at Clarks and the Tech Manual. All I could find was info on how to replace it. What happens when it fails? Could it leak? It seemed tight?

I'm kind of stumped here.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:00 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

oil cooler housing/ balance shaft housing/ seal at the front of the cambox behind the belt cover that drips down onto the same spot....
Old 01-14-2007, 12:42 AM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ditto on checking the seal on the front of the cambox. Remove the belt cover to confirm if that's where it starts from. When was the last reseal?
Old 01-14-2007, 12:56 AM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

I put this engine in in May. I did all the b/s seals and recently (October) did the front main seal. I have never noticed oil near the cam, but didn't do that seal when I could have (should have though). I spent some time cleaning it up this evening with some brakecleaner then drove around at 20 mph for about 20 min to heat up the oil, but not blow it all over like normal driving would. I didn't notice any new leaking, but am letting it sit overnight to check it again tommorow.

Dan, How could oil leak from the oil cooler houseing without it leaking coolant too?
Old 01-14-2007, 10:34 AM
MAD MAC
Instructor

It cant really because the oil is inside the cooler surrounded by coolant. The valve is what is says. It releases the pressure when the car is started. Usually it just starts to stick when it goes bad.You can always tell by the gauge. It should jump to full pressure when the car starts. If it takes too long then its the valve. I think it uses a crush washer for a seal, but not sure.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:53 AM
jspearin
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

VaSteve - Did you ever determine what was leaking here? I've got the exact same issue right now and I was thinking is could be the OPRV as well. I know it's not the balance shaft or cam tower seals as I just replaced all of those.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:55 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Hi,
It is possible for the oil pressure sender to leak THROUGH its electrical contacts.
No amount of tightening will fix - you just have to replace the sender.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:02 PM
jspearin
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
Hi,
It is possible for the oil pressure sender to leak THROUGH its electrical contacts.
No amount of tightening will fix - you just have to replace the sender.
I'm pretty sure it's not the oil pressure sender as I just recently replaced that as well. I've cleaned the area off so I'll check it again shortly to see where the drip developes but I was curious if the OPRV itself could be leaking.

Everything was leaking oil when I first bought the car but after slowly replacing seals one by one this seems to be the last of the leaks (for now).
Old 03-20-2017, 01:46 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 189 Likes on 162 Posts

Check the bolts on the oil cooler/ console , i had a bolt that wouldn't hold torque , had to install a time cert.I doubt the OPRV would leak as it's sealed with a washer , if you remove it you'll likely lose a few teaspoons of oil if I remember well.

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure Relief Valve/Leak ID?