Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nice to finally have a fast car.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 08:01 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nice to finally have a fast car.

Was in Advance Auto Parts getting a new license plate frame for my new (to me) Turbo S. I asked the guy if I can take it out to the car and compare it to the one on the car. He said of course. I said kidding around "Thanks, see you next week." He said, "I have a fast car and i'll catch you." I said "What do you have?" He said, "A Sentra." I said nonchalantly (confidently not obnoxiously) "Naah, you wont." He then came out and we chatted for a bit as he realized why I said that.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:05 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,243 Posts

You should have taken off - then filmed the chase.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:11 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

Erik = bad influence.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:11 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Those Advance guys are pretty full of themselves. They actually say, "Oh, it's you" whenever I'm in to pick up some more Mobil 1, gasket sealer, or any other stupid purchase that adds up to $6.73.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:16 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by yellowline
Those Advance guys are pretty full of themselves. They actually say, "Oh, it's you" whenever I'm in to pick up some more Mobil 1, gasket sealer, or any other stupid purchase that adds up to $6.73.
Well, in their defense they do work at an auto parts store and deal with people talking down to them all day.

They have free oil deposit too!
Old 12-19-2006, 08:18 PM
mechon
Advanced

Default Send me an E-mail

I want to know about the katana 750 , hopefully some pictures
Old 12-19-2006, 08:27 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by yellowline
wow, cheapshot.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:29 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,243 Posts

Originally Posted by Gator_86_951
Erik = bad influence.
I'm harmless
Old 12-19-2006, 08:36 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Well, in their defense they do work at an auto parts store and deal with people talking down to them all day.
It's not that in my case. Devon works at my local Advance. That's why he said that to me, like he knew me or something.

Best part is that I usually charge those purchases.

I do usually get "the stare" when I'm bringing in what should be a run-of-the-mill VW part on my car to the stores. Maybe a fried ignition switch that fits 5 different Audis, VWs, and the 944...

"What's this go on?"
"A 20 year old Porsche, but..."
(guy stares at me like I have 2 heads) "Nah, we don't have that."
"...it's a VW part."
"Call Germany for the Porsh stuff."
Old 12-19-2006, 08:40 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

for the record, andrew is 100 percent correct about the people looking down on us all day. Usually the domestic guys, when I don't know whether its an edelbrock or holley carb on their year chevy....

I usually just laugh as they sneer through their three teeth and be like I'll try to remember that carb info for later in life, you know, when i get my degree in computer engineering? They act like it's supposed to hurt my feelings I don't know the innards of every car they have. I'm glad my IQ is high enough not to end up in this business my entire life, like them.

okay, back on topic now! I wish I could park a 951 out front rather than my 944... lucky. My volvo is faster than my porsche
Old 12-19-2006, 08:52 PM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to work for Advance too and I live in the middle of red neck country, it's definitely a rough job. Around here it was a daily occurance that someone shoved a motor in a car that it never came with and they expected me to know what parts made it work right. Drive shafts from different years makes and models that needed to be adapted. Pretty much they expect you to know everything about every vehicle and every possible combination out there and if you don't know they have a HUGE fit.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:24 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

they recently opened an advance by me. i couldnt be happier. i got my shift **** there, was able to touch it and see if i liked it. bought two, using two. have three in a box from the miata. yep, bought four keeping one!

bought my battery there and it was cheaper than at auto barn where the guy behind the counter couldnt shive a git about the customer.

got some cherry car wash too at the 2 for 1 sale. cant wait to start using it. my car will not only be cherry, it will smell cherry. cherry mold that is.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:26 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

I think of myself as one hell of a knowledgeable person when it comes to cars. I'm also an Advance Auto employee, albeit 2 days a month. Some customers think most parts outlets hire cashiers and not parts people. Advance, at least my division, hires people who know about cars and then teach them how to use a register. The preconceived notion from some customers is that they will know more than me and they want me to know it. This makes it very difficult to help someone, no matter with a quart of oil, an ignition switch, or a price list for an engine rebuild. I'll serve with a smile and thank them for their business. Then I move on to help people who want help.

And no, most people do not know where a part is without looking it up. People get offended when asked what part it is and what vehicle it’s from. You'd think that common sense would seep in as they stare at the parts racks, but usually not.

Now... try being an insurance adjuster. The majority of society thinks an adjuster is a crook and has an attitude the second you speak with them. It makes it very hard to help someone when his or her intent is to “beat you at your own game”. Here’s a tip – most adjusters want your file worked properly and then the hell off their desk. Work with them, they’ll work with you, and everyone is happy. They have a job and rules, just like you.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:50 PM
mwc951
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

The customer service at all 3 Advance's in my town ALWAYS falls well below my expectation. Maybe if the service were better, or they treated me like they appreciate my business, I wouldn't go in with a bad attitude. You get what you give! IMHO.....Pep Boys & Zone offer superior customer service AND product assortment.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:01 PM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mwc951
The customer service at all 3 Advance's in my town ALWAYS falls well below my expectation. Maybe if the service were better, or they treated me like they appreciate my business, I wouldn't go in with a bad attitude. You get what you give! IMHO.....Pep Boys & Zone offer superior customer service AND product assortment.

Service seems to hit or miss at these sorts of places. The one I was a manager at had great service because I threatened to fire half of the staff if they didn't do it but the Auto Zone next door was **** poor as was the Advance on the other side of town, by other side of town I mean a 5 minute car ride.

Quick Reply: Nice to finally have a fast car.