Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

924S Hard Start (Hot & Cold) And where does the fuel supply line connect under car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 07:58 PM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Default 924S Hard Start (Hot & Cold) And where does the fuel supply line connect under car?

Well I bought brought home my 88 924S.
The only mechanical flaw is that the car has a hard start. It will crank for varying amounts of time with no pattern relative to cold or hot. Sometimes it will fire after 2 tries, sometimes it takes 5. This has taken its toll on the starter. I have already got a rebuilt one on the way.

The fuel supply hose is cracking from the bend right before the pressure regulator in the engine bay. It was leaking until I was able to temporarily patch it. Since then no leaks. I have the replacement hose ready to go in, but I cannot find the part where it connects under the car. According to parts diagrams the fuel supple hose goes from the fuel filter to the pressure regulator in the engine bay. Somewhere under the car it splits and there is a double female connector. The hose I have is #1. I cannot find where hose #1 connects to connector #2 and hose #3. Besides myself, three other people looked under the car and could not find it. It looks like one solid hose from engine to fuel filter. Does anyone know where they updated at any time? I have double checked the part number and it is correct.

I addition to a new starter, I also have a brand new fuel pump on the way since the one in the car looks original. I also am going to send my injectors to witchhunter to have them cleaned. The weird thing is the car will start almost instantly with starting fluid sprayed into the J boot.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Airflite40; 12-09-2006 at 09:53 PM.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:23 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

- hard start sometimes can just be corrosion on the battery and starter terminals themselves, that can be easily cleaned up. The fuel lines on your 924s should come up into the engine bay from the ds near the brake booster. I cut the crimped part of both fuel lines off and pulled the rubber off of the metal lines coming from the rear. PUlling them off exposes a ferrelled or nipple part of the line. I replaced both rubber lines w/ high pressure fuel line of the same size from autozone and clamped both ends w/ some good clamps. Been this way since we bought our 924s-that had delaminated lines- and not a leak or problem since. The sides that are crimped are the high pressure lines, the one that already has a clamp is the return and has alot less psi going through it. SOunds like your doing things the right way, welcome to the halfmotor watercooler community!
Old 12-09-2006, 08:30 PM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

thanks dan, but I already have the #1 hose shown above. It is a brand new part. I guess I can do what you suggest if I can't find that connection...
Old 12-09-2006, 09:17 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm guessing it's a combination stuck injector/ fuel pressure issue.

I'm guessing cleaned injectors, fuel pump, and lines that can hold pressure will help a lot...

Glad to see you made it home!
Old 12-09-2006, 09:49 PM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

I think Geoff is right. does anyone know if the fuel lines were updated at some point or where is that damn connection? (pics?)

Quick Reply: 924S Hard Start (Hot & Cold) And where does the fuel supply line connect under car?