Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Iceshark question: What amperage are the inline fuses?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 04:49 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Iceshark question: What amperage are the inline fuses?

Hi all. I bought one of the last Iceshark headlight kits from Dan's sister after he passed away. I finally got around to installing it on Thursday and after getting it all together....nothing. No light, nada, nothin'.

After poking around a bit I realized that I don't have any fuses in the inline fuse holders. Looks like Dan's sister forgot to include them, no big deal, I have lots of them around the garage.

BUT...What amperage are they???

Thanks.
Old 12-09-2006, 05:35 PM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

30 amps.
Old 12-09-2006, 05:36 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

We need to do another Colorado get together... I've got a Turbo S to show off

and I dunno the amperage...
Old 12-09-2006, 05:50 PM
swimmingly
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Max current running through your bulbs should be about 8A (100 W/ 12V). If you're running a separate fuse out to each bulb, I'd recommend 15A. If you're running a fuse for the whole thing, go with with 30A. The idea is that it will only trip if the circuit somehow shorts and you have a LOT of current trying to go through the system.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:11 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. On the Iceshark kit there's a fuse for both lows & both highs so I went with 30 amps.

Did I mention I love Rennlist?

Geoff: Yep, I'd love to do a CO GTG, can't wait to see the new car. I even heard a rumor that DocWyte might be getting back into the 951 game here soon too...
Old 12-09-2006, 11:57 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Popped the 30amp fuses in and all I can say is WOW. I've seen all the before and after pictures but good grief, these lights are bright. I'm anxious to aim them but in driving around town tonight no one flashed their lights at me so if anything, maybe they're aimed too low!

Thanks again for the quick help.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:26 AM
sm
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

Just FYI, my Iceshark setup had 30 amp fuses in them and one fuse-holder melted without blowing the fuse. I now have a 15 amp fuse in there just to be safe.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:31 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sm
Just FYI, my Iceshark setup had 30 amp fuses in them and one fuse-holder melted without blowing the fuse. I now have a 15 amp fuse in there just to be safe.
Hmmm, thanks for the heads up!
Old 12-10-2006, 04:16 AM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sm

Mine did that too, it was from a poor ground. Too much resistance smoked a wire.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:41 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

WOAH!!!! Wait a sec... I had a fuse holder melt too... you remember mine Greg? I might just drop the fuses to 15 myself. I didn't think about that. Dan had said it was probably from the fuse not making good contact, but I don't see how- it felt tight as could be- mine ended up melting all the way through & I had to replace the fuse holder altogether. Where can you get the little terminal things so that one can thread the fuse holder wire into the relay? The terminal thing I'm talking about would then be the female end of terminal in the relay- anyone? Sorry for the tanget Greg, but I'd like to know where to get some of those little misc pieces & am not even sure what to call it...

Also, Geoff- did you get your Dad's car...!?!?!?

Old 12-10-2006, 11:12 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 348 Posts

Checking out the candidate today!
Old 12-10-2006, 02:14 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Robby

Also, Geoff- did you get your Dad's car...!?!?!?

Yep! Don't know why I looked at anything else!
Old 12-10-2006, 04:17 PM
Got Me a Porsha
Racer

Originally Posted by Robby
WOAH!!!! Wait a sec... I had a fuse holder melt too... you remember mine Greg? I might just drop the fuses to 15 myself. I didn't think about that. Dan had said it was probably from the fuse not making good contact, but I don't see how- it felt tight as could be- mine ended up melting all the way through & I had to replace the fuse holder altogether. Where can you get the little terminal things so that one can thread the fuse holder wire into the relay? The terminal thing I'm talking about would then be the female end of terminal in the relay- anyone? Sorry for the tanget Greg, but I'd like to know where to get some of those little misc pieces & am not even sure what to call it...
Actually, if you are running 100/90's, the current draw will most likely exceed 15A on low beam, and exceed 17A on the High beam side, so anything less than a 20A fuse will be borderline...and most likely fail on a cold night, when all the accessories are running and dropping your voltage. Dan's fuse holders should be fine with a 20A fuse in each. My setup uses 3-30A fuse holders, dedicated to low, high, and fog/driving lights, and I run 20A, 20A and 30A fuses with no issues.

Robby, if you need a relay terminal (the one that locks in the relay base), PM me and I'll toss a couple in the mail. They are not easy to find, and I by them by the reel.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:37 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

"Robby, if you need a relay terminal (the one that locks in the relay base), PM me and I'll toss a couple in the mail. They are not easy to find, and I by them by the reel"

That's very kind of you- I really appreciate it- I'm Pming you right now.... will send some pics by e-mail to make sure we're talking about the same thing....

Sounds like I'll try a 20 or 25 amp fuse...

Geoff- glad to hear it...

thanks again everyone...

Quick Reply: Iceshark question: What amperage are the inline fuses?