Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie.. need help.. with 944

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 02:25 PM
elite001
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by heltonjk
I just realized you posted you were in Columbus. So am I...I could probably help you out. I'm no professional stereo installer, but I've swapped a few head units.
waow thank you so much... I really appreciate it.. where are you located? I am around OSU campus.. it's final week naw

and can you also tell me what is the exact model of your alpine

thanks a bunch, I really wish if we coud talk/chat I really need some help.

p.s. did you do any upholstery to your car? my car quite needs upholster especially in the driver seat. do you think you can refer me to anyone in columbus, OH with the good price of course.. lol

thank you so much, so happy to meet you
Old 12-06-2006, 02:26 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 104 Likes on 77 Posts

no fader switch on the late cars. it is part of the radio. think about how electronic technology progressed from 77 to 85. analog dials to digital dials, clocks in the radio, faders. Considering it was the same from the twenties till the early 80s.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:37 PM
Phi1720
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom R.
no fader switch on the late cars. it is part of the radio. think about how electronic technology progressed from 77 to 85. analog dials to digital dials, clocks in the radio, faders. Considering it was the same from the twenties till the early 80s.
I have a late car with fader switch. Its wired to my alpine unit too so it still works.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:53 PM
heltonjk
Intermediate

hey, check your private messages elite. On a side note, I tried to post my e-mail address, and I couldn't get it to post...it says I don't have enough messages posted to post a link in my posts. How funny, I went to all the trouble to pay for a membership before I even posted, and I get "censored." Oh well, I guess this just means I'll have to post more.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:02 PM
Phi1720
Rennlist Member

Almost forgot

Welcome! to the both youf you heldonjk & elite001.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:04 PM
elite001
Advanced

Originally Posted by Phi1720
Almost forgot

Welcome! to the both youf you heldonjk & elite001.
thank you so much.. and thank you so much everyone..

I really like this forum....
Old 12-06-2006, 03:09 PM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

I feel a group hug coming...

I have a late interior with the fader switch in front of the shifter... I don't remember off hand, though, if it's directly to the right of my sunroof switch, or if it's far to the right of that bank of switches. Kinda think it's to the right, but I haven't been inside my car for almost two weeks.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:38 PM
heltonjk
Intermediate

I got lucky, someone had installed an aftermarket tape deck (looked like mid 90's maybe). they had wired in a universal adapter. Butchered the original harness, but all the connections were good, and it saved me about 15 bucks. I just pulled it out and plugged the alpine to universal connection I had already.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:40 PM
elite001
Advanced

Originally Posted by heltonjk
hey, check your private messages elite. On a side note, I tried to post my e-mail address, and I couldn't get it to post...it says I don't have enough messages posted to post a link in my posts. How funny, I went to all the trouble to pay for a membership before I even posted, and I get "censored." Oh well, I guess this just means I'll have to post more.
yup.. that's happened to me too earlier today.. I couldn't post a link.. lol.. so keep posting my friend.. I can post link now.. maybe you have to be minimum of 10 posts or something...

anybody ever done any upholstery to their 944, such like tear/rip seats (driver) and some crack on dash...

if so, can I know how much are you guys endup with? I just need to get an idea how much do I need for doing that..

here's my condition of my 944, its pretty much has some rip/tear in driver seat, and some cracks on the dash.. but other than that.. my car is pretty in good..

let me know

Old 12-06-2006, 03:54 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 104 Likes on 77 Posts

I guess they got rid of the fader in 87 or 88. i dont have one on my 88 951 or 89 NA with the ten speaker option, and there was no fader on the two 89 S2s i owned. One S2 had the equalizer/10 speaker option.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:59 PM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Rob B does some great work with dashboards... he'll do vinyl, leather, and alcantra. His website - there's a loong thread with pics, prices, etc.; a bit of searching should turn it up. I think your looking at around $250~$600 for the dash, depending on what you want and how bad your current dash is (cracks will need to be filled, etc.). Don't know about seats; you might find a good seat on eBay, and I've read that if you have time and patience, recovering it yourself using one of the kits can turn out nicely, too.

Paul Champagne also does dashes, also does steering wheels. Don't have a link handy, but should be easy to find.

I've also seen where people have used SEM vinyl/leather dye that turns out well, but it looks like you have some tears, too.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:23 PM
elite001
Advanced

Originally Posted by alordofchaos
Rob B does some great work with dashboards... he'll do vinyl, leather, and alcantra. His website - there's a loong thread with pics, prices, etc.; a bit of searching should turn it up. I think your looking at around $250~$600 for the dash, depending on what you want and how bad your current dash is (cracks will need to be filled, etc.). Don't know about seats; you might find a good seat on eBay, and I've read that if you have time and patience, recovering it yourself using one of the kits can turn out nicely, too.

Paul Champagne also does dashes, also does steering wheels. Don't have a link handy, but should be easy to find.

I've also seen where people have used SEM vinyl/leather dye that turns out well, but it looks like you have some tears, too.
so how is this process? people send their dash to him? can we drive the car without dash? and is it hard to take of the dash? and install it back?
Old 12-06-2006, 05:56 PM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

people send their dash to him?
Yes, afaik. I think he was considering getting a spare core... that way, as soon as you shipped yours to him, he could send out a pre-covered dash to you - course, I could be entirely wrong about that. I suppose you could just buy a cracked dash off a parts car to send to him.

can we drive the car without dash?
No, so if this is your only transportation, it won't work well. I don't remember off hand how long the process takes. He'll also sell the cover to you if you want to tackle gluing it on yourself (no guarantees on how it turns out, of course, just on his own work)

and is it hard to take of the dash? and install it back?
Haven't tried it yet, myself. I don't think it's hard, just that there are a lot of bits to keep track of, so you have to go slow, take notes and pictures as you disassemble, and keep the small bits in labelled baggies so you can put it back together. You have to remove the steering wheel, instrument cluster, etc.

Check out Clark's Garage for how-to articles with pictures.

Paragon also has great articles, but the tech section was hacked and they're getting it back up.

This is Rob Budd's original thread . All your questions should be answered here, and there are some great pics, too.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:59 PM
El Commandante
Pro

I have an 86 NA and i have a fader switch. Elite, If you have one it would be behind your shift stick in the first picture you posted (its the farthest right slot on the center counsel) . i'm guessing you don't have it, or you would have included it in the picture.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:08 PM
GodSpeed
Nissan Rulez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Phi1720
I have a late car with fader switch. Its wired to my alpine unit too so it still works.
same here on my 85.5

Quick Reply: Newbie.. need help.. with 944