Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Strut Mount Symptoms?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 02:57 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Bad Strut Mount Symptoms?

What are the symptoms of a bad strut mount? I have replaced just about everything in the front end and still have an annoying rattle sound going into sharp right hand corners.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:07 PM
fork_included
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

top strut mount?

poping noise during bumps and slight akwardness at corner entry (as something may shift)

only right hand corners? are you 100% positive it is from the front?
Old 11-29-2006, 04:30 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

It's definately coming from the front right wheel. When I make a 90 degree right turn at certain speeds it almost sounds like the wheel is loose, like a can of marbles but not tin sounding. I have rebuilt the control arms, replaced both tie rod assemblies, new front wheel bearings, and the struts were replaced right before I bought the car.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:47 PM
hockeydude
Addict
Rennlist Member

I got some good replies to my post.

Here it is: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...r+strut+mounts

Good Luck!
Old 11-29-2006, 04:48 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i have a set of 86 upper strut mounts- mine didnt make noise if thats the problem- may want to make sure your a-arms/ castor blocks/ upper strut bolts are tight.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:58 PM
fork_included
Pro

is the sound speed dependant?

if you go into an empty parking lot and crank the wheel and slowly start increasing speed, does the noise persist?

does it only persist upon the turning of the wheel?

does it gradualy go away as you straighten?

when you say "rattling" noise, i picture a metal bucket of nails, could you describe the noise a bit more.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:55 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Alright I just went for a test drive to try and figure out the best way to make it happen, however it started raining pretty hard as soon as I got out of my driveway. I usually hear the sound going into a 90 degree corner in second gear, so not terribly fast at all. I did a few circles in an empty parking lot and couldn't get any sound at all, I did some gradual turning and sharp turning and there was nothing. The main time when it happens is in im cruising along at about 50mph, I start to slow down for a right hand turn while on the brakes, and right as I let off the brakes and go for my turn in and back to the gas I hear the rattle.

To desribe the sound, the best thing I can think of is when you take a wooden dowel and put one of those wooden wheels on it that is slightly too big and when you give the wheel a flick with your finger it spins really fast and smooth at first but when it starts to slow down the play between the dowel and wheel causes it to rattle and flicker around until it stops. That same rattle feeling/sound is what I think of everytime this happens in the car. Sorry if thats an odd explanation but its exactly what I think of when it happens. I have had the car jacked up numerous times, making sure everything is tight and nothing is ever wrong.

BTW- My 1,000th post!
Old 11-29-2006, 08:26 PM
fork_included
Pro

congrats on the 1000th

here is my theory, check the calliper operation for smoothness, almost all calipers should be squeezed by hand if you open up the bleed valve and give it a go

you noted that it as you slowdown and let off the brakes while going into a turn, perhaps something in the caliper system is catching on or not fully letting go, perhaps a loose brake pad?

also do you have the brake shields on the car?
Old 12-01-2006, 10:10 AM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

The brake shields are still on the car but there are no signs of rubbing on them. I will pull the wheel off this weekend and check around again.

I still have a clunk in the same right front wheel area when I hit hard bumps, so I think its the same thing causing both sounds.

Quick Reply: Bad Strut Mount Symptoms?