Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm an idiot - need distributor rotor shaft

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 10:57 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Default I'm an idiot - need distributor rotor shaft

Tensioned my belts using the new Arnnworx tools (excellent and easy, btw) and was down to replacing the distributor rotor and cap when I managed to break off the head of the set screw on the rotor....arghhhh!

Any of you guys with parts cars out there have a spare distributor rotor shaft? I'm going to try and ez-out the broken screw but if I booger it up I'd like to have a new shaft. I'm looking for the shaft with the arrow pointing at it in this picture:
Attached Images  
Old 11-29-2006, 02:02 PM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Greg,
PM me your address and I'll send you one.
Albert
Old 11-29-2006, 02:08 PM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 67 Posts

If you can''t find one - I can make one........
Old 11-29-2006, 02:14 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gregeast
Tensioned my belts using the new Arnnworx tools (excellent and easy, btw)
Can I ask a question about the Arnnworx tool? I got one myslef and have not used it yet, one thing I noticed when I recieved it is that it's not as zero when not being used. I mean the dial says something like 67, I don't have it in front of me.

Is it supposed to be that way? Will it go back to zero once installed and ready to measure.

I don't know if I'm explaining this right...

Also, in the instructions they say to loosen the small side screw and rotate it so that Zero is at 12 o'clock. Is that 12 o'clock in reference to the floor or 12 o'clock pointing to the top of the tool?
Old 12-01-2006, 12:40 AM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

^^ Sysgen, did you buy the entire toolkit?
Old 12-01-2006, 09:01 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sysgen
Can I ask a question about the Arnnworx tool? I got one myslef and have not used it yet, one thing I noticed when I recieved it is that it's not as zero when not being used. I mean the dial says something like 67, I don't have it in front of me.

Is it supposed to be that way? Will it go back to zero once installed and ready to measure.

I don't know if I'm explaining this right...

Also, in the instructions they say to loosen the small side screw and rotate it so that Zero is at 12 o'clock. Is that 12 o'clock in reference to the floor or 12 o'clock pointing to the top of the tool?
The tool doesn't need to be at zero. Basically you're just measuring the difference in tension between whatever the tool reads when you had the reference bar in place vs. what it reads without the bar in place. That's why he has that worksheet for you to fill out. You're just measuring the relative difference. As for setting the 12 o'clock reference, I set it relative to the shaft of the tool. Again, I don't know that it matters really because it's not the absolute number that counts, it's the difference. Once I got all that through my thick skull it was really very easy to use!

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions. Bruce is also very good about responding to emails, you might try him as well.

Greg
Old 12-01-2006, 09:03 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sharky47
If you can''t find one - I can make one........
Thanks for the offer Sharky but Aribop is hooking me up...and he won't even let me pay him!

Greg
Old 12-01-2006, 09:38 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Greg is right.. it does not matter where the gauge zeroes out at. The tool is actually gauge used to test for straigtness of something you are holding in a 4-jaw chuck for a lathe (well thats one of its uses). All that really matters is you see linear movement as you press on the indicator bar.

Also you are correct, set the 0 of the gauge to the 12:00 spot, or top of the tool. This makes it easier to take readings.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:41 AM
Sysgen
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, thanks, just needed input from someone that actually used it to explain and as far as skull thickness, I'm way up there with the thoughest of them so I fully understand

PS. Derek, I've replied to your PM.

Stephane

Originally Posted by gregeast
The tool doesn't need to be at zero. Basically you're just measuring the difference in tension between whatever the tool reads when you had the reference bar in place vs. what it reads without the bar in place. That's why he has that worksheet for you to fill out. You're just measuring the relative difference. As for setting the 12 o'clock reference, I set it relative to the shaft of the tool. Again, I don't know that it matters really because it's not the absolute number that counts, it's the difference. Once I got all that through my thick skull it was really very easy to use!

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions. Bruce is also very good about responding to emails, you might try him as well.

Greg

Quick Reply: I'm an idiot - need distributor rotor shaft