Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wikipedia police!! HAHAHAHA!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 06:28 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Wikipedia police!! HAHAHAHA!!

So my BROTHER got this email. How this guy got my brothers email address, I have no clue.

Here's the setting...

On the Wikipedia Porsche 968 information page, they talk about the 968 originally going to be called the 944 "S3". I read the article and edited the page so that you could click on my link to 944s3.com. I figured people interested in the 968 might find my site interesting at the least, and informative should they take that road, at best. I MAKE NO MONEY WHATSOEVER FROM HAVING 944S3.com. It's for YOU guys, for Rennlisters, for people thinking of doing the 968 engine swap. PERIOD. And from what I've been told, in emails to me directly and through the grape vine, it's been helpful to those who have set out to do this swap.

So I edit the page on Wikipedia, and add my link in the text in parens (). A few days later I check it out, and it's not there. Thinking maybe it didn't go through, I do it again in the same spot. A few days later, it's gone. So I figured maybe people who edit Wikipedia are supposed to put it down at the links section (where Rennlist.com, 968.net, etc., are) as it's an informative site and not an official Porsche site. So I do that. Then I get this email from my brother....

Please stop linking to your 944 website in the 968 article. It doesn't matter that your 944 has a 968's engine, or that you chose to dub it a 944 S3 -- you're not Porsche, thus your car doesn't belong in an encyclopedia article about the Porsche 968. You've already inserted this link three times, so I'll be happy to report you as a vandal if you do so again. Stephen Hui 23:51, 16 November 2006 (UTC)
Give a guy a little power (make him a wikipedia editor) and he thinks he's god's gift. Not a "hey, nice site but we don't need your link" or even a "hey, nice site, it has some good info, we'll keep the link down there with the other Porsche enthusiast links" -- instead, a "hey, do it again I'll report you as a vandal."

HAHAHA. "VANDAL"!!! HAHAHA.

Goodness, all I can think of right now is that "white and nerdy" song Weird Al did with the line in there about editing Wikipedia....

You know, if everyone here added 944s3.com as a link... I'm just saying is all...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_968

Wikipedia is a collaboratively edited encyclopedia to which you can contribute.
http://www.wikipedia.com
Old 11-24-2006, 06:29 PM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 67 Posts

Sheesh - kids these days - think they can go around inserting their link in any ole webpage.......
Old 11-24-2006, 06:31 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by sharky47
Sheesh - kids these days - think they can go around inserting their link in any ole webpage.......
Haha. No, just along with all these...

External links
FAQ for the 924/944/968 model series
Porsche 968 overview, specifications & links
General 968 page
General 968 Turbo page
General 968 Club Sport page
General 968 Turbo RS page
US 968 Enthusiasts' discussion forum (968forums.com- registration required)
US 968 Enthusiasts' discussion forum (968.net)
US 968 Enthusiasts' discussion forum (Rennlist)
UK 968 Enthusiasts' website (porsche968uk)
Porsche 968 photo gallery
Porsche 968 Photo Gallery
Old 11-24-2006, 06:43 PM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

I'd be more than happy to link it for you three times, then every member here can list it three times after I get the nasty e-mail.
Old 11-24-2006, 06:51 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by 75ohm
I'd be more than happy to link it for you three times, then every member here can list it three times after I get the nasty e-mail.
Part of me says go for it, but part of me doesn't want to be a *****. However funny that might be... He's too caught up in his job as a wikieditor to realize I was trying to be helpful. He treated it like I was a **** site linking to wikipedia for free traffic.
Old 11-24-2006, 06:54 PM
fork_included
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you should give us his email address....
Old 11-24-2006, 06:58 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ask him if he has a 911 too- sounds like the right car for the guy.
Old 11-24-2006, 07:09 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I will add the link, sounds like an f'ing ***** (or a civil service employee)
Old 11-24-2006, 07:20 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Haha. I saw someone added the link already. You guys crack me up.

I just sent him a note...

Stephen Hui,

First and foremost, get over yourself. If you honestly think the threat of being reported as a "vandal" got anywhere, you're wrong. You went about this entirely backward. How about a little common courtesy. How about, "Hey nice site but we don't require your link" or even "hey, nice site looks really informative, I'll keep the link down there with the other enthusiast sites." No, you went straight to "hey, do it again I'll report you." GREAT people skills pal.

You see, I didn't know there was an "it". I thought the point of Wikipedia WAS for users to edit with legit info. I'm a user, I saw a good opportunity to give other Wikipedia users looking for Porsche 968 info more, so I did. And the little power that you do have, of course went to your head and you send me a rude message. Hooray for your side. You're right, I'm not Porsche (as you so eloquently stated). I'm just a guy who owns an old, rejected, "poor-man's" Porsche. But to use that as reason why my site shouldn't be in an article about the Porsche 968 shows exactly how little you know about this mark. Telling me it can't be in there because I'm ugly, or my car is ugly would make more sense then your current reason. Last I checked, every other link at the "Related Links" section (where I last attempted to include the link) aren't owned by Porsche either. There goes that argument. Get a grip.

Next time, bother looking at the site. I make no money from that website. I have no vested interest in linking other then to give information to enthusiasts. Before I did my swap, there was no documented 944 to 968 engine swap on the net. I did mine, and through alot of blood and sweat, succeeded. I wanted to ease the workload of future 944 owners looking to do that swap, so I made the site. I know for a FACT that multiple 944 to 968 swaps have been done based on 944s3.com, and I've even been told in person that the site and my car was their inspiration.

But if you want to keep solid information from Wikipedia users interested in the 944 "S3", I suppose that's within your power to do so. Absolute power corrupts, am I right? But I seriously doubt that's the intended spirit of Wikipedia. Have fun holding your "QUIET" sign at the next golf tourney.

Enjoy, Matt
Old 11-24-2006, 07:27 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Awesome response Matt. I love the "quiet" sign remark

Just because I can't stand people like that I added the link and will continue to do so until he gives up
Old 11-24-2006, 07:56 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hehe, the link wasn't there when I just viewed the page so I added it again.

This reminds me of when Steven Colbert did a rant about wikipedia being self edited and then told everyone watching the show to go on wiki and edit the killer whales page to say that it was a bicycle stunt or something.
Old 11-24-2006, 07:59 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by billthe3
Hehe, the link wasn't there when I just viewed the page so I added it again.

This reminds me of when Steven Colbert did a rant about wikipedia being self edited and then told everyone watching the show to go on wiki and edit the killer whales page to say that it was a bicycle stunt or something.
944s3.net? Haha -- it will just get deleted anyone.

I missed that Colbert report. I bet Wiki LOVED that. Haha.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:04 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt O.
944s3.net? Haha -- it will just get deleted anyone.
Whoops. Got that fixed.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:42 PM
SpeedBump
Happily Amused
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I have no problem with you adding the link, Steve is a well known national auto crosser and has an awesome 968. He is a very nice guy and very helpful to the other racers in B Stock and is technically correct that there is no official S3
Old 11-24-2006, 08:50 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by White968
While I have no problem with you adding the link, Steve is a well known national auto crosser and has an awesome 968. He is a very nice guy and very helpful to the other racers in B Stock and is technically correct that there is no official S3
Who cares. He's rude, after browsing the 968 forums I'm quite glad I didnt purchase one.

Quick Reply: Wikipedia police!! HAHAHAHA!!