Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wikipedia police!! HAHAHAHA!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 09:22 PM
SpeedBump
Happily Amused
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL, I've never seen Steve on a 968 Forum and your right for a small run car the 968 forums can be a little nuts.
Old 11-24-2006, 09:23 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by White968
While I have no problem with you adding the link, Steve is a well known national auto crosser and has an awesome 968. He is a very nice guy and very helpful to the other racers in B Stock and is technically correct that there is no official S3
I'm sure Steve is a nice guy, never said he wasn't. And I never said there was officially an S3. But it says "S3" on that Wikipedia page as well as in several other Porsche books, so if a Wikipedia browser was to search "944 S3" I thought the site would be helpful. Unfortunately Steven disagrees. Oh well. But no need for him, at all, to respond the way he did. My 2 cents.

I hope he has continued success autocrossing his 968.
Old 11-24-2006, 11:03 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry Matt, I gotta side with Stephen on this one.

The 944S3 was the factory intended designation for the 968. End of story. What we call our bastard home brew modded cars is irrelevant to wikipedia. (Mine is rebadged "turbo RS")

Wikipedia is supposed to be as factual as possible. Inserting non-relevent links is misleading and defeats the purpose of the site. Linking S3 your 968-engined 944 would only confuse people.

HOWEVER, it would be acceptable to add your site to the bottom list of external links. edit: which I see has been done.

It's too bad Stephen came across as a ***** to you. He's really one of the nicest 944 guys I ever met. Gave me a screeeeaming deal on an '87 951.
Old 11-25-2006, 12:41 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Rich Sandor
Sorry Matt, I gotta side with Stephen on this one.

HOWEVER, it would be acceptable to add your site to the bottom list of external links. edit: which I see has been done.

It's too bad Stephen came across as a ***** to you. He's really one of the nicest 944 guys I ever met. Gave me a screeeeaming deal on an '87 951.
There really are no sides then. Because my intent was to put a link with the others. Which is what you think is acceptable, and I would have to agree with you on that. He didn't. The link that's there now is one of multiple attempts just today, not from me (for fear of being reported as a "vandal" of course), but from our fellow Rennlisters. My attempt was obviously deleted weeks ago. So have several today.

I'm sure Stephen is a great guy. This whole thing was just comical which is why I originally posted it.

Funny side note: search google for "944 s3" and the first two links listed are very ironic.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:07 AM
Camaro_Muncher
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It says 944s3.com cant be found, even the link in your sig.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:12 AM
mavfan
Three Wheelin'

it works for me...
Old 11-25-2006, 01:12 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

On the bright side, we can be happy that Stephen has taken stewardship of the 968 section of wikipedia, and we can be pretty sure that it will remain accurate for a while at least.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:18 AM
hockeydude
Addict
Rennlist Member

i edited it one for you now. i'll do it numerous times on monday if needed from school (no way to trace back to me)
Old 11-25-2006, 02:29 AM
fork_included
Pro

which one of you was screaming?
Old 11-25-2006, 04:13 AM
PedalFaster
Pro

Matt, I'm going to repost the response I posted on Wikipedia. If you don't agree with me, fine, but your comment on my Wikipedia user page and your post here demonstrate that you don't understand the reason why I deleted your link in the first place.

Sigh. No one's contending that your website isn't cool or informative -- it's clearly both. You seem to have missed the entire point of my objection, which is that, while cool, your site's not particularly relevant to the 968. A user looking for more information on the 968 will get no such information from your site. For that reason, while your site may be relevant to a Wikipedia article about engine swaps, or maybe even the 944 if you stretch the term "relevant", in my opinion it's irrelevant to the 968 article, and I have flagged it as such.

Please have the maturity to allow this dispute to be resolved via Wikipedia's defined mechanisms.
Please note also that I've deleted your link at least three times, and was quite polite about it initially.

Go ahead and flame me if you want. I'm trying to maintain Wikipedia's quality standards, and with all due respect, I don't believe including your link in the body of the 968 article is consistent with said standards.

The peanut gallery may be interest in seeing whose opinion the Wikipedia crowd favors (at the time of my posting this, no one has yet weighed in): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Porsche_968
Old 11-25-2006, 04:35 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

I think one day the use of the word "said" may actually make my head explode. Honestly.
Old 11-25-2006, 04:41 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

guys guys guys..

just leave the 944s3.com link in the external/related links section and be done with it.. no harm no foul

Props to Stephen for putting the effort into the wiki article, we don't want all kinds of fools adding questionable material to the page!
Old 11-25-2006, 10:13 AM
GlenL
Nordschleife Master

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

guys guys guys..

just leave the 944s3.com link in the external/related links section and be done with it.. no harm no foul

Props to Stephen for putting the effort into the wiki article, we don't want all kinds of fools adding questionable material to the page!
Agreed.

The next step is to lock the page so no one, fools or otherwise, can add to it.

It's gotta be tough to keep adolescents, young and otherwise, from screwing up Wikipedia just for their jollies.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:04 AM
ubercooper
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its on there now and there is no way to edit it.
guess you made your point. lol
Old 11-25-2006, 11:20 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by PedalFaster
Matt, I'm going to repost the response I posted on Wikipedia. If you don't agree with me, fine, but your comment on my Wikipedia user page and your post here demonstrate that you don't understand the reason why I deleted your link in the first place.

Please note also that I've deleted your link at least three times, and was quite polite about it initially.

Go ahead and flame me if you want. I'm trying to maintain Wikipedia's quality standards, and with all due respect, I don't believe including your link in the body of the 968 article is consistent with said standards.

The peanut gallery may be interest in seeing whose opinion the Wikipedia crowd favors (at the time of my posting this, no one has yet weighed in): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Porsche_968
Haha. Ok. If by "polite initially" you meant your first and only (as far as I know) message to me, then we just have a difference of opinions on what polite is. And for the last time, I've said it would be better suited, if at all, in the links section and not the body. My initial inclusion in the body was simply due to not knowing exactly how wikipedia worked. After I realized it wasn't there because it was deleted by you, and not because I somehow didn't submit it properly, I included it in the links section instead. And you still deleted it.

By the way, if there was an initial message about this that I didn't get from you and this entire thing is a product of miscommunication, no big deal. And "flame" you?? Not exactly. Responding on the wiki page and then this entire thing is over. It was a good laugh, but it's sort of dragged. Thanks for editing the Wikipedia 968 page, you're doing a good job.

Quick Reply: Wikipedia police!! HAHAHAHA!!