Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rennlist membership DRIVE!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 01:09 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Rennlist membership DRIVE!!

It's about that time. We haven't had one in quite some time! It's time for Rennlist members to discuss the benefits and importance of supporting Rennlist with the measely 18 bucks a year. Operating a relatively popular Porsche website myself, I empathize with John D on the costs associated with Rennlist. What's cool about John is he never begs for people to join. He says, hey if you see value in it, you'll join. Hopefully this thread can shed some light on non-members, allowing them to see the value in becoming a full Rennlist member.

Membership link: https://rennlist.com/members.htm
Old 11-23-2006, 01:15 PM
hockeydude
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, it's definetly worth the donation to be a 'real' member. OT, classifieds, and the sticker is great, but it is also important to donate in order to keep our communituy alive.

Today is Thanksgiving, what would be a better day to "give back" to the community that we all love?
Old 11-23-2006, 03:56 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I program and administer many websites on servers I own and colocate... running a website of this magnitude that is always under load, and keeping a decent uptime to satisfy us crazys is not an easy job. You don't work 9-5... if the server crashes, we all go nuts. Even at 3 am you are on call. Bandwidth is not cheap. Servers need to be replaced. Backups need to be taken and moved offsite.

The short is that it's a full time job, even before you think of actually moderating posts. Normally I'm not one to pay for website access.... Rennlist is the ONLY site I pay to be part of the 'club'.

I know for a fact that I have saved many multiples of the 18 bucks I paid by buying the right part the first time, not making the idiot newb mistake because I read about it, or even just having someone to ask when I'm at a dead end. And let's not forget the value of a site I can read all day at work

So yeah, cough up the 18 bucks!

In my time here I have only 1 complaint... I got no sticker with my membership package
Old 11-23-2006, 04:08 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

<--- paying rennlist and PCA member- well worth it.
Old 11-23-2006, 05:18 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree Matt!

I've slung some $hit, and a few have realized just how far $18 goes when you can get quick answers in the comfort of your garage, when you are beating your head against the oil pan. And I've also pissed off a few members while doing so.

If you are not a DIY'fer, that argument probably doesn't hold much.

Thanks for the reminder..... There are plenty of big post users out there.
Old 11-23-2006, 06:05 PM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by schwank
...I know for a fact that I have saved many multiples of the 18 bucks I paid by buying the right part the first time, not making the idiot newb mistake because I read about it, or even just having someone to ask when I'm at a dead end. And let's not forget the value of a site I can read all day at work

So yeah, cough up the 18 bucks!...
Coughing up $18 still makes me feel like a thief at times. I'm WAY ahead because of Rennlist and its resources.
Old 11-23-2006, 06:18 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Paying for the membership to see all the hilarious random crap in OT is completely worth it.

Of course having access to the membership only selling/buying sections, as well as having 200mb of webspace is extremely nice too.
Old 11-24-2006, 06:47 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by billthe3
Paying for the membership to see all the hilarious random crap in OT is completely worth it.

Of course having access to the membership only selling/buying sections, as well as having 200mb of webspace is extremely nice too.
Nice all about OT.

Seriously, taking your laptop into the garage while you work on your car and having questions answered literally within minutes, or, even better, calling other Rennlisters on the phone (whom we would never meet if it wasn't for this website) makes working on these cars so fun.

I hope some of the non-members who feel there's value decide to go for it.
Old 11-24-2006, 07:20 PM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 67 Posts

I bought two years last time I re-upped - should be good for a while......

How much is it to become a lifetime member?
Old 11-24-2006, 07:22 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

From what I understand you cannot purchase one. Pretty standup-ish of John, because I bet he could get a pretty penny for "Lifetime" memberships. Like the NRA or something.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:30 PM
boxdoc2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by xsboost90
Ditto!
Old 11-25-2006, 02:06 AM
hockeydude
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by xsboost90
Me too!
Old 11-25-2006, 02:12 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what about driving? I'm there!
Old 11-25-2006, 06:19 AM
jugger911
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have been a member for about 1 1/2 weeks. By becoming a member, I have already saved around $480 on two Pcar parts!!! ENOUGH SAID! The mere $18 dollars is a small sacrifice for all the knowledge and "social interaction" that I have gotten from Rennlist. I would recommend all that have not joined to do so. If no one paid the $18 before I joined, this site would not be here. I thank ALL who joined before me...
Old 11-25-2006, 07:05 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

What's $18? Nothing.

$18 is a bargain for all you get. Instant answers to tech questions. A resource to buy and sell the parts you need for these cars (and we all know sometimes certain parts are hard to find.......but if you need something, you know you can get it thru here, or a least a lead on where to find it). There are members on here that have years upon years of experience with these cars. If you are a DIY'er, you'll save hundreds, if not thousands, by using this site. (WARNING: You could also become addicted and spend way too much money on your car upgrading it. Seek therapy if this happens.)

If someone doesn't join because they think that they can't afford $18, then priorities really need to be analyzed. Driving a german sports car that takes expensive parts to repair (and high labor costs if a job has to be done that you can't do yourself) is not the best thing if you can't afford $18 to support the site that helps keep your car running. There are cheaper and wiser transportation alternatives out there if $18 is such a hardship. I'm not trying to be mean, just honest. If I ran into trouble and couldn't afford to pay the membership fee, I would have to take a hard look at things and possibly re-think my hobby.

If you don't want to become a member because you just aren't into joining things, that's cool. I've been there and done that. Consider the fact that paying the $18 is more about supporting rather than joining.

Quick Reply: Rennlist membership DRIVE!!