Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have Hub Flex?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 06:13 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone have Hub Flex?

As it was explained to me by the MY350Z forum member.

Originally Posted by Joel Gat
it's simple that the hubs flex when you have good traction and you drive hard. That flex translates to the rotor moving side to side in the caliper, while you're cornering and not on the brakes. That side to side motion pushes the pads away from the rotor. They end up moving less than a millimeter from the rotor surface. You go to hit your brakes and instead of the brake fluid moving the pistons just a hair, they have to move that fraction of a millimeter, which means your foot sinks almost all the way down to the floor as you take up that little amount of space.

Joel
I have never myself seen anyone post up on our cars having this issue but it doesn't mean it does not exist. Just like to hear peoples thoughts or opinions about it on our cars. I know that pelican sells upgraded hubs is it for this reason or another?
Old 11-16-2006, 06:48 PM
Hawk36
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe he needs tighter hubs...
Old 11-16-2006, 06:56 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Well, the design of the 350Z hub bearings is sealed unlike that of our 944..

Last edited by Fishey; 11-16-2006 at 09:41 PM.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:09 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts

It happens with our cars. It happens with most cars.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:42 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ninefiveone
It happens with our cars. It happens with most cars.
Yea, but to the extent that you lose half a pedal when trying to hit the brakes after running the car? I have never witnessed this myself.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:47 PM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 330 Posts

One potential cure is to use floating rotors ala VCI.

http://www.vehiclecraft.com/Brakes/rot_ques.htm
Old 11-16-2006, 09:59 PM
UncleMaz
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I've experienced chub flex.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:15 AM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should ask the guys over on the track forum. When I used to DE my car, I never ran into such a problem. I did see a few people lose braking by boiling the brake fluid - hence the need for hi temp racing brake fluid at the track. I suppose if your car has excessively worn rear wheel bearings it could be an issue...
Old 11-17-2006, 12:32 AM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also referred to as "knockback". I wouldn't say it's common, but it's not unheard of either.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_knockback.shtml

When watching race video of drivers, you can see some drivers tap their brake pedal with their left foot just prior to the braking zone. This pushes the pistons/pads closer to the rotor for better braking.

Watch this video. Not only is this the tastiest bit of driving I've ever witnessed at WGI, but if you can peel your eyes away from the windshield for a moment, watch Leh's left foot pump the brakes up on the straights.

http://gscdownloads.com/race.wmv
Old 11-17-2006, 02:58 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

Holy Heck Jim!

That video is fantastic, well work the wait to download. Thanks! I cannot believe how fast he is with the clutch and gearchange... mindblowing to me... Is that a cup car?

I did see the "brake pumping" that you are referring to. It amazes me how some people can drive so well and keep so many things in mind. It seemed was way faster than everyone else on that track...
Old 11-17-2006, 10:59 AM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by amjf088
Holy Heck Jim!

That video is fantastic, well work the wait to download. Thanks! I cannot believe how fast he is with the clutch and gearchange... mindblowing to me... Is that a cup car?

I did see the "brake pumping" that you are referring to. It amazes me how some people can drive so well and keep so many things in mind. It seemed was way faster than everyone else on that track...
As a frequent driver at WGI, I can tell you that Leh is beyond "fast." I don't know his lap times, but some of those guys in his class run in the 1:50's and he laps much faster.

That car was a 2002RS, slightly tweaked but nothing crazy, 420 rwhp.

In that race video, he started last due to a qualifying technicality. He passed 25 cars in the first lap alone, and won the race by 23 seconds over the second place car. He's got more driving talent in his pinky than I have overall.

And he's only 23 years old...
Old 11-17-2006, 11:21 AM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by shiners780
Also referred to as "knockback". I wouldn't say it's common, but it's not unheard of either.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_knockback.shtml

When watching race video of drivers, you can see some drivers tap their brake pedal with their left foot just prior to the braking zone. This pushes the pistons/pads closer to the rotor for better braking.

Watch this video. Not only is this the tastiest bit of driving I've ever witnessed at WGI, but if you can peel your eyes away from the windshield for a moment, watch Leh's left foot pump the brakes up on the straights.

http://gscdownloads.com/race.wmv
That is amazing. For those who can wait for the download, I'd recommend watching. This guy is a friggin' racer at heart. That was downright f'ng impressive as hell. Not a single mishift, brake work was near perfect, and on top of that, waved at other drivers as he passed on the inside. Thanks for the Friday entertainment!
Old 11-17-2006, 11:22 AM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

I run R compunds on the track and I've never had a problem with that. The brakes are always solid (except when the fluid gets hot).
Old 11-17-2006, 01:03 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishey
Yea, but to the extent that you lose half a pedal when trying to hit the brakes after running the car? I have never witnessed this myself.
Yup. On my car the problem crops up when I run r-compounds. Usually only in situations like after the high speed esses going up to the bus stop at WGI. Lots of g-forces for an extended period of time.

I've gotten in the habit of giving them a tap before certain corners where I know they might have gotten knocked back. It just becomes part of the heel-toe footwork like doing the salsa.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:02 PM
JayJ911T
Intermediate

If you've ever bumped a track curb a little too hard, you've probably experienced it in the following turn. The play in the front bearing allows the rotor to push the pads in a little further, and it's a sinking feeling when the first application of the STOP pedal does nothing!

Aside from that, it is indeed some fancy footwork in that video! I'm amazed!

Quick Reply: Anyone have Hub Flex?