Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Driving Lights Stops Working - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 01:19 AM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My Driving Lights Stops Working - Help!

I just replaced them about 2 weeks ago and they worked fine after installing. Took the car for a spin and a car wash and it's sat since then (of course :-( ), today I washed her again (I know I hadn't driven it since I washed it last - that's just how I am :-) and when I turned the lights on my driving lights didn't work???

The little button on the left of the steering wheel still has the light that comes on to show that they "should" be on. What gives? Is this a fuse? I looked at the fuse box under the hood and couldn't locate a fuse for the driving lights, all I found was something like "driver courtesy lights" or it was something like that. It was located in G12 position. Is this the one? Why would the lights work after installing but then not work after sitting for a couple of weeks?

Thanks In Advance,
Cory
Old 10-30-2006, 07:16 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

How in the world does your car get dirty enough to wash????

IIRC "Courtesy lights" are for the interior. Is it possible the switch contacts have oxidized from non-use? did you try turning them on/off several times to clean the contacts- I think the lit bulb in the switch isnt the full power feed contact to the power for the lights.

I'm checking the PET and wiring diags to confirm this for you now buddy.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:06 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Cory, if the fuses checked out OK, then I'm afraid the headlight switch itself is suspect. Remember the stock setup on these cars doesn't have relays, so the switch takes all the "heat."

Good luck!
Old 10-30-2006, 06:34 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a fuse for low beam left and low beam right i believe, something like in the 20's or so i think? could be off on teh fuse number..

try wiggling them, or seeing if they are blown.

luis, i thought only early cars had no relay or fuse protecting the switch, because my 85.5 definately has stock fuses and relays for the headlights.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:48 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by yieldsign2
luis, i thought only early cars had no relay or fuse protecting the switch, because my 85.5 definately has stock fuses and relays for the headlights.
Are you sure the late cars' stock headlight setup has relays? I've always heard that if you wanted to fit higher watt bulbs, you risked burning up the stock wiring from the lack of relays. That's what made IceShark our hero.

At any rate, Cory's problem sounds related to the headlight switch itself.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:59 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmm I thought the headlights ran through the hella relay in the fusebox... could be wrong though. I thought the iceshark(rip) relay was because the higher powered lights were too much for the stock relay or something along those lines... i don't have any real knowledge on his kits though.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:12 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think youre looking for the wrong fuse.

I think it was called like "fog lights". Mine happens to be fuse 5 on a 1991.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:50 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris_924s
How in the world does your car get dirty enough to wash????
I know, I know... it really doesn't get dirty but I like to wash it anyway. It's a form of destressing therapy

Originally Posted by Rock
I think it was called like "fog lights". Mine happens to be fuse 5 on a 1991.
Thanks Rock, I'll give that a look.

By the time I found the problem, it was late and dark and I didn't have time to really investigate things. I have the rest of the week off so I hope to get this taken care of soon!

Thanks again guys!

Quick Reply: My Driving Lights Stops Working - Help!