Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black Phonedials

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 09:20 PM
Chwatson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Black Phonedials

I have been searching the forums for the past 45 minutes trying to find that thread about repainting the phonedials (black w/ silver lip and cap). I am seriously considering doing it soon, and if i recall, the thread had all the info I could possibly need (I have no idea as to how to start at the moment).

If you could point me in the right direction, I'd be thankful
Old 10-27-2006, 09:23 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out Geoff's car. I'll brb with pics..~EDIT here ya go:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ed+phone+dials

WELCOME TO RENNLIST!
Old 10-27-2006, 09:34 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Chwatson
I have been searching the forums for the past 45 minutes trying to find that thread about repainting the phonedials (black w/ silver lip and cap). I am seriously considering doing it soon, and if i recall, the thread had all the info I could possibly need (I have no idea as to how to start at the moment).

If you could point me in the right direction, I'd be thankful
I'm going to be doing the same thing on a set of 86 Turbo PD's. After reading up on many of the posts I've decided to do the following:
1. My center sections are in good shape so I'll do a chem/tape mask of the centers after getting them prepped for paint.
2. Strip the outer lips (aircraft stripper) and prep by multi stage power sanding prior to a polishing. I stripped a set of PD's to do the same thing and wish I have never stripped the center sections. Porsche used a filler primer that left the centers rough requiring another filler primer to produce a smooth surface for paint.

I'll look for the link though!
Old 10-27-2006, 10:58 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

Here's another one and Welcome!!!

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/287648-my-phonedials-redo.html
Old 10-28-2006, 05:17 PM
Chwatson
Racer

Kuhl951, amazing sig. I love it. Regarding the whole "prep for paint" thing, what exactly does that involve. And what is this chem/tape mask. The biggest problem I would see, besides getting the paint to stick (which I could use some help with), is getting a clearly defined line between the lip and center. How might one do that? Also, is the lip the original paint, or is it buffed out to pure aluminum, without any clearcoat? I am in the dark about all of this, but the help thus far has been great. I'll try to get some pics up soon and show you guys what I'm working with.
Old 10-28-2006, 06:41 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Kuhl951, amazing sig. I love it. Regarding the whole "prep for paint" thing, what exactly does that involve. And what is this chem/tape mask. The biggest problem I would see, besides getting the paint to stick (which I could use some help with), is getting a clearly defined line between the lip and center. How might one do that? Also, is the lip the original paint, or is it buffed out to pure aluminum, without any clearcoat? I am in the dark about all of this, but the help thus far has been great. I'll try to get some pics up soon and show you guys what I'm working with.
Thanks, another great 'by request' sig by Testarossa. The post above your last one has some very good links attached with it. What I'm saying is I'm not going to strip my centers this time because the paint is in good shape. I'll clean them well, fine sand to prep for paint and then mask the center section off up to the edge of the planned polished area on the lip with a chemical resistant tape. You can usually find thr tape at any good paint store. Then I'll use aircraft stripper to remove the finish on the lip to prep for polishing, sand/polish, and remove the tape. Then I'll mask the polished area and shoot the center sections.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:19 PM
Chwatson
Racer

awesome! i'm making a big word doc right now with all the instructions. three final questions, though. 1) do you spray the inside of the wheel too? (black, flat black, any prep work, etc.) or do you just leave it

2) do you put some clear over the polished lip to protect it (i doubt it would stick, but it's worth asking)?

3) my paint in the center is pretty good, if i understand correctly, i can merely sand and go from there (no stripping, aircraft remover, etc.)?

thanks for the threads, i didn't look deep enough into that 6 page one.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:30 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

awesome! i'm making a big word doc right now with all the instructions. three final questions, though. 1) do you spray the inside of the wheel too? (black, flat black, any prep work, etc.) or do you just leave it

2) do you put some clear over the polished lip to protect it (i doubt it would stick, but it's worth asking)?

3) my paint in the center is pretty good, if i understand correctly, i can merely sand and go from there (no stripping, aircraft remover, etc.)?

thanks for the threads, i didn't look deep enough into that 6 page one.
1. I would leave the insides alone and just clean them. The masking will prevent any stripper from messing them up.

2. Clearcoat won't stick anyway on polished aluminum, I use Happich SemiChrome polish and it holds up well for months;

3. If your centers are in good shape, leave them alone and just prep them for repainting with #800 wet/dry paper followed by a good solvent wash or paint prep right before spraying. I use the Duplicolor Anthacite if I do a rattle can because the black is just too dark for my taste.

I still think that the 86 Turbo PD's done this way are about the best looking modded OE wheel out there...they look great on a black, silver, or white car.

Quick Reply: Black Phonedials