Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new '86 951

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 02:21 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking My new '86 951

I said I'd make a thead for my new 951 on sunday. I've been having so much fun with it that I haven't had time so here it goes.

Guards Red/Black 1986 951 that I purchased from a PCA member. He gave me receipts totaling $11,000 from the past three years. I need to go an pick up the additional receipts when I have time. He kept it stock, I will for the most part. the only thing I'm thining about doing performance wise in the next few months is a lindsey boost controller and chips

FACTORY OPTIONS:
C03- California Car
018- Leather steering wheel
158- Radio "Reno" although it has a "New York"
341- Central locking
454- Cruise control
650- Detachable roof (didn't all 944s come standard with this?)
946- Partial leather seats

NEW PARTS in the last three years:
tires, rear glass, lower front valance, fog lights, third brake light, hood pad, bumper stop?, Struts, Shocks, Steering rack, performance brake pads, battery, wheel bearings, brake rotors, cliamte control unit,
timing belt, balance shaft, various switches, cam/crank seals, throttle cable, spark plugs, fuel filter, clock, speedometer, converted AC to 134, hoses

PROBLEMS I NEED HELP WITH:
-Hood is not lined up right, one side sits to low and the other to high.
-In some areas paint has been polished down to white base coat
-Center console and steering wheel need to be replaced.
-I can't get this frickin leather boot to stay on the bezel, i guess it needs to be replaced
-What does the big round buttom a foot to the left of glove buttom do?
-How do I change the Blaupunkt New York back to FM?
-The lights on the passenger side (parking/side marker/tail light/etc.) won't work. I replaced the bulbs and fuses and still won't work. Any ideas?

PO said to not use Mobile one and use cheap gas because its a turbo. Why is this?

Well enough with the BS...Here is the pics...

Old 10-26-2006, 02:26 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DON'T PRESS THE BUTTON TO THE LEFT OF THE GLOVE-BOX!!!!! IT'S THE SECRET SELF-DESTRUCT BUTTON!!!!

Nah, just kidding. The button to the left of the glove box is what we like to call a cigarette lighter. You pull it out and it lights up your cigarette.

For the radio, I don't know about that specific unit, but my blaupunkt unit from that era (as well as every other hu I've seen) is just pressing the source button to switch between fm/am/cd. Sometimes the power and source button is the same - hold down for power, press for changing source.

Aside from that very nice! How many miles? You going to get rid of the rear center light panel?

See you changed the sig, but now you need a new avatar.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:31 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

LOL, I thought that might be it but it wouldn't come out. Now I have something to work on tomorrow morning. It has 118,000 miles but is in truly great mechanical condition. As for the light panel, I haven't made up my mind. Maybe if I get really bored one day I'll take it on. I just don't want to do the paint/body work. Besides, I don't really like my plate on the bumper.

How do you like that lindsey boost controller?
Old 10-26-2006, 02:34 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Oh yeah, I need a new muffler and tip. Anyone have a good one?
Old 10-26-2006, 02:35 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Its really nice. It was on the car when I bought it, so I can't relate to driving it without it, but going on the assumption that it only lowers when the boost hits by 500rpm I don't think I'd like driving the car without it. Its damn nice having boost come on at 3000, makes the car quite peppy for around town driving (when needed).
Old 10-26-2006, 02:37 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Oh, have any issues getting the car up your driveway? That looks like it'd be a pain for lower cars.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:43 AM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 305 Likes on 196 Posts

There really is no reason not to use mobile 1. It may not be a perticularly good idea at this stage in the game because *sometimes when you switch an older engine to synthetic it could start leaking. I personally run redline 20w50 in my turbo, but it is expensive and you have to special order it. The tipe of oil to run in these cars is totally personal opinion...If you do a search you will probably find 10 different options that at least one person will swear by. As far as gas goes, you DO need to run the best / highest octane fuel that you can find. lower octane will be prone to predetonation under boost conditions, which could potentially blow the head gasket or break other parts. Good luck with your new car, it looks like fun!
Old 10-26-2006, 02:46 AM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PHP Code:
-What does the big round buttom a foot to the left of glove buttom do? 
It starts fires, be sure to have adult supervision when using it!

Pass side lights is prolly a fuse, most of that stuff is an easy fix, except the burned paint.

Skip the Mobil 1 unless you are looking for leaks, but you should be running 91 RON.

Congrats on comming to your senses and getting a little boooosted!
Old 10-26-2006, 02:49 AM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BTW, be sure to post in the correct forum!

944 Turbo/S
Old 10-26-2006, 02:49 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

I would continue using dino oil. I used 20/50 castrol with my turbo before I took it apart.

Use the highest octane gas on the pump there, probably 91.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:05 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

Glad to see pics of the new car Keith. Seems like it was only 2 months ago you were drooling over getting one while your NA was for sale. My only word of advice is learn to drive it safely...the 951 does not forgive as easily if you get a little foot happy...ask anyone that made the jump! I made the mistake of thinking mine didn't boost in first gear with the new chips and MBC until I pulled around a stalled car as the light was turning yellow...luckilly the the po-po's were all at Krispy Kreme at the time.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:12 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
I made the mistake of thinking mine didn't boost in first gear with the new chips and MBC until I pulled around a stalled car as the light was turning yellow...luckilly the the po-po's were all at Krispy Kreme at the time.
Nice. I did the same type of thing when I was first driving my friend in mine - we were running late for a movie and I was flooring it between two lights in first and I hit boost and did a good non-lsd drift on accident. I swear I've done the stupidest (accidental) stuff at that one stoplight and the cops are always there yet they are always distracted with something else.
/threadjack
Old 10-26-2006, 10:35 AM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Good looking car... is that an alcantra dash?

You may want to check out Paul Champagne's recovered steering wheels... looks like some sweet leather work he does. The recovered 944 steering wheel is amazing.

Hard telling from the pics, but looks like a combination of brown and black inside?
Old 10-26-2006, 10:02 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Is it normal for the fan to stay on about a minute after turning off these cars? I know its not over heating because the gauge read 1/4 and the level in the expansion tank is always at max, hot or cold.

My door locks are screwy and there is a red light lighting up on the button...?

The interior is all black, its a combination of camera flash and heavy dust that makes it look that way.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:36 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

nice- i love red- welcome to the club.

Quick Reply: My new '86 951