Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Foam under the shift boot?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 04:27 PM
Ghost944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

would this sponge hold up to the heat? my shifter boot feels really hot after a lot of driving.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:43 PM
944-LT1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say the peanut idea is "spongeworthy'
HAHAhahaaaa Very clever.

The peanut was just a temporary deal I did. It works great and is lightning fast fix on the go. I never noticed that it got hot or anything. It just did its job until I pulled the TT.

I would've left it in if I didnt already buy an OE replacement. It did everything the OE does.

I still have the peanut with the slit if youre interested! Make offer, trades welcome.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:54 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by 944-LT1
I still have the peanut with the slit if youre interested! Make offer, trades welcome.
How much is shipping?

Did you just make a slit and slip it over the shift lever and stuff it in, or did you make something fancier like cut a hole in the middle then slip it over the lever?

am i correct that the whole thing sits under the hump for the TT/floorpan between the shift mechanism and the floorpan? when i lifted the shift boot it sort of popped up so i thought it was supposed to be cone shaped..
Old 10-25-2006, 05:35 PM
944-LT1
Racer

HAhahaha I know youre probably kiding but in case youre not...

Yeah, i made a tiny incision in the middle of the sponge that the lever barely fit through. I just kinda shoved it down under the sheet metal until the sponge epanded again to its normal shape and flat against the TT. It expanded and sealed up the space between the TT and the sheetmetal.

Maybe two of the sponges would work better, but one did the job.

Its my low-rent ghetto engineering that gets me through the rough spots. Haha.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:46 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I was kidding about the shipping, not about the slits. I leave the house at 7:00 to catch a 7:16 train. At a few red lights I started to open things up. When I pulled into the parking lot I grabbed an allen key (too small) hoping to remove the momo **** on the car so I could install a different **** when I get home (en route to meet my parents, wife, and daughter at ruby tuesdays for dinner) when the foam popped out.

hence my seemingly stupid questions.

Thanks. I will pick up two sponges at autozone tonight and use the scissors in the car (to open the blister pack on the new ****) to cut the slits and do the operation in autozones well lighted parking lot.

will report tonight or tomorrow.

must remove that shift ****... must remove that shift ****.....must.....
Old 10-25-2006, 09:03 PM
dnwong
Pro

Hey 944-LT1,

Where did you get those headlights? Custom made or a kit?

Dudley
Old 10-25-2006, 11:04 PM
Ghost944
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tom R.
I was kidding about the shipping, not about the slits. I leave the house at 7:00 to catch a 7:16 train. At a few red lights I started to open things up. When I pulled into the parking lot I grabbed an allen key (too small) hoping to remove the momo **** on the car so I could install a different **** when I get home (en route to meet my parents, wife, and daughter at ruby tuesdays for dinner) when the foam popped out.

hence my seemingly stupid questions.

Thanks. I will pick up two sponges at autozone tonight and use the scissors in the car (to open the blister pack on the new ****) to cut the slits and do the operation in autozones well lighted parking lot.

will report tonight or tomorrow.

must remove that shift ****... must remove that shift ****.....must.....
there's a billboard here in town depicting a man doing office work in his car and crashing. it reads "the world most dangerous office...just drive!" but what you are explaining sounds like "the worlds most dangerous auto-garage!" you need to free up your shedule a little bit, stop spending time with your kids and more on your car!
i meant that all in good fun of course. ive had to do the same, bolting in a ghetto shift lever while driving.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:46 PM
Scuba Steve
Burning Brakes

Part # 6... does it do much, or is that what the sponge replaces? My car is missing that piece but part #8 is in great shape. Is the sponge a replacement for that one?
Old 10-26-2006, 02:45 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Scuba Steve
Part # 6... does it do much, or is that what the sponge replaces? My car is missing that piece but part #8 is in great shape. Is the sponge a replacement for that one?
Both parts are standard but many people leave #6 off. I like a quiet cool car so I just buy a new rubber boot if I find one torn. They're cheap and I feel they are an integral part for any street car. The track guys don't care and like to look through the hole and see the ground go by
Old 10-26-2006, 09:37 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Well I did it. Did it in autozone's parking lot.

They have a nice selection of inexpensive shift *****. The sponges were on sale two for one so i bough two (for the price of one) and cut a hole in the middle of one. slid it over the lever and stuffed it in the hole. i left what was left of the original foam there.

the cheapy sphere **** they have uses the same thread pattern as the fancy momo shift boot. that was an unexpected treat. it also slipped tightly over the momo adapter. my brother already cut a inch or so off the lever so it sits nice and low.

next step is to re do the job in daylight and cut the rubber boot. since the shift lever is cut the rubber boot sort of scrunches up. i will cut the top off of it about an inch and a half or so and slip the bottom part into the top. should do the job and fit nicer. i also want to clean up some of the foam underneath. shifting is a little stiff from all the foam.

thanks guys. onto the next issue - see the new thread.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:34 AM
944-LT1
Racer

Hey 944-LT1,

Where did you get those headlights? Custom made or a kit?

Dudley
Hey Dudley,
The buckets and covers are from gt-racing.com. The lights are simply from Autozone. One size is 4" and the other is 3". It just came together nicely and works really well. Low beams are the outsides and the brights are all 4. The turn signals are in there as well and are amber LED assemblies.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:44 AM
UncleMaz
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Well I did it. Did it in autozone's parking lot.

They have a nice selection of inexpensive shift *****. The sponges were on sale two for one so i bough two (for the price of one) and cut a hole in the middle of one. slid it over the lever and stuffed it in the hole. i left what was left of the original foam there.

the cheapy sphere **** they have uses the same thread pattern as the fancy momo shift boot. that was an unexpected treat. it also slipped tightly over the momo adapter. my brother already cut a inch or so off the lever so it sits nice and low.

next step is to re do the job in daylight and cut the rubber boot. since the shift lever is cut the rubber boot sort of scrunches up. i will cut the top off of it about an inch and a half or so and slip the bottom part into the top. should do the job and fit nicer. i also want to clean up some of the foam underneath. shifting is a little stiff from all the foam.

Did you get the sponges at the auto parts store? Where they shift related sponges or in the detailing section? Thanks for the idea. Let us know how it works out before the weekend
Old 10-26-2006, 12:31 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 109 Posts

Well I did it...shifting is a little stiff from all the foam.

I think you need to cut more than just a slit or you'll get too much resistance in there. Remember you have a big wad of foam, a rubber boot, and a leather boot...not exactly a teflon moment
Old 10-26-2006, 12:34 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mjaffe
Did you get the sponges at the auto parts store? Where they shift related sponges or in the detailing section? Thanks for the idea. Let us know how it works out before the weekend
bone shaped car wash sponges. see the picture link in LT's post.

Before what weekend? Im driving the gto.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:53 PM
UncleMaz
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks Tom and LT- I am doing that this weekend. Maybe that annoying little rattle will vanish.

Quick Reply: Foam under the shift boot?