Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diagnosis? - No power being transferred to wheels - transmission / clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 03:29 PM
sd944s
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Diagnosis? - No power being transferred to wheels - transmission / clutch?

Hey all,

This morning I was going ~35mph and downshifted. When I released the clutch, the engine simply rev'd - no power to the rear wheels. I tried a couple other gears, and there was nothing, the car just coasted while the engine rev'd. I was able to coast to a side street, turn off the car, and push it into a parallel parking spot with the shifter in neutral.

Once it was safely off to the side, I started the car again and went through all the gears, using the clutch; again, the engine just rev'd and the car went nowhere. At idle, there was a faint sound of a couple metal pieces rattling in a chamber. I turned off the car, put it in 1st gear and attempted to push it again. There was some resistance, much more than when I had it in neutral.

History: over the past couple weeks, on three occasions while accellerating across speeds between ~25mph - 40mph, the RPMs briefly rose but the car didn't accelerate, like the clutch was slipping. When this started, I made plans to replace the clutch in a garage but thought I'd drive very lightly it until I ordered the replacement clutch. However, I didn't expect the slipping clutch would result in complete drivetrain failure, which leads me to believe it's in the transmission.

I searched many threads but didn't find the scenario I described above. Does this info lead to a clear conclusion about what the problem might be? If it's the tranny, I'd probably just do the clutch too while I'm at it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Other info:
Model: 1987 944S, non-LSD tranny
Miles: ~144000
Old 10-20-2006, 03:40 PM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

When you shift, do you hear it engaging the gears like normal?

Take a look in the torque tube window. Make sure the transaxle is still connected to the torque tube.

Is there any knocking sounds coming from the transmission while in idle?

That's all I can think of at the moment.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:50 PM
TrevorW
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe you broke a CG, hopefully really, cheapest fix.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:51 PM
TrevorW
Racer

What I meant to say was maybe you broke a CV joint, hopefully not the pinion gear or the clutch.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:56 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 187 Likes on 103 Posts

Check under the back of your car to see how the half shafts look. Grab one and see if you can "stir" it. There should be in/out play, but no forward/backward up/down.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:20 PM
JayP
Pro

Does the car roll freely in neutral?
Old 10-20-2006, 05:21 PM
sd944s
Intermediate

JayP - yes, the car does roll freely in neutral.

arbeitm, trevor, & justin - thanks for the initial thoughts; I'll check those potential issues out and post what I find.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:38 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

Try to get under the car and pull the inspection cover at the front of the tranaxle,( the back of the torque tube) and you will see the driveshaft. With the clutch out it should be immovable and this will move your diagnosis to the half shafts.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:25 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

clutch slippage or rubber center clutch...
Old 10-21-2006, 01:30 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 126 Posts

Probably a rubber-centered clutch that is gone. Pull the starter and see if there are rubber bits in there. Failing that it could be the R&P or a CV joint, but if you have had windup before I think it's the clutch center.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:12 PM
sd944s
Intermediate

OK, so I went back to the car yesterday hoping that it was the CV joint. Unfortunately, both were still rock stable. I started the car again and listened to the variations of how it sounded in-gear with the clutch fully engaged, partially engaged, and disengaged.

1) When disengaged (clutch pedal fully depressed), there was the least noise. The car actually sounded fairly "normal" but now my baseline of "normal" is off because I'm listening much closer than usual.
2) Partially engaged (clutch halfway depressed) - a bit more noise, some irregular metallic scraping sounds.
3) Fully engaged (clutch released) - increased frequency of metallic scraping sounds, sort of like a few ice cubes in a slow spinning blender.

Anyway, all indications are pointing toward the clutch, as a few of you have indicated. The car still didn't move _at _all_ when it was in gear and could be pushed forward and back whether the transmission was in neutral or in gear. I wanted to verify it through the inspection cover but it's parked in an awkward parallel parking spot against the curb and traffic on the other side - very difficult to get under to see.

Since I was lucky enough to coast into a non-restricted street parking spot (a rarity in Chicago!), I've been able to arrange a tow dolly so I can take it back to a lift and try swapping out the clutch myself.

Thanks for everyone's input so far! Any additional thoughts out there?
Old 10-24-2006, 11:26 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any funky smells? When the rubber-centered clutch on my n/a disintegrated, I could smell the rubber burning.

Your symptoms sound very similar to what I experienced.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:26 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had something happen like this. I'm still putting my money on CV's, but, not all of my money... basically, mine became unbolted from the wheel side... leaving it to spin with a metallic scraping sound when in gear, and clutch pedal not depressed.

no sound when clutch pedal depressed...

However, the ice cubes in a blender sounds bad... might have tossed a r&p...
Old 10-24-2006, 11:31 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

I doubt its the clutch because when that goes the engine is invariably engaged to the transaxle. it really is important to get to that inspection cover under the transaxle because that is going to point to the problem.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:32 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

It sounds like it might be the remains of the 'limp home' tangs in the rubber center clutch have been sheared and are making occasional contact with each other.

Quick Reply: Diagnosis? - No power being transferred to wheels - transmission / clutch?