Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water pump while doing timing belt?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 07:54 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by billthe3

Ok, they just called back with a full quote - they said it was going to be five hours labor to do the belts only (no new rollers or anything) was going to be ~$1k
their labor rate is $200/hr? belts should only be about $30.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:21 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chris luckett
their labor rate is $200/hr? belts should only be about $30.
No, I forgot to say in that post they were also doing a coolant flush (~150) and tranny fluid (~75), and I think their labor rate is 110 an hour. So I don't know how the hell the prices worked out - suppose it would be easier to complain if I had gotten a quote on paper, but this was all over the phone. Maybe they charged five hours labor for the belts and then an hour each for the tranny and coolant? That'd be about a grand @ 110... I realized later that if they were doing the water pump they'd be draining all the coolant anyway so it would have been double paying for the same work (pump wasn't in the 1k price though).
Old 10-20-2006, 04:35 PM
fezz
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

replacing the WP, rollers, belts, front seals and collars, cam cover gasket, rear cover gasket, rotor, coolant flush/fill, radiator drain plug, oil pump drive sleeve are all the while your in there things to do.
including assorted shop supplies runs about $600 in parts. you can do this job over the weekend on an N/A and only need a few specific tools - not sure if more is involved on the turbo.

learn to do this yourself, save big bucks, know it's done right and share a few beers and busted knuckles with your porsche buddies.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:25 PM
yoyoguy2
Racer

i got a brand new waterpump that was bad out of the box... had a bad bearing so it made a really loud, high pitched whine while running. got that guy out of there asap. but anyway, the job isn't that bad, good luck!
Old 10-20-2006, 08:34 PM
Whitt944
Always Wears Protection
Rennlist Member

Be careful, some shops will not combine things. The first shop I talked to about my car was going to charge me full price for changing the water pump and full price for the belts. They were also going to charge me full and seperate labor fees for changing the tranny mounts and the clutch. They were straight up pirates. Glad I found my current mechanic. He combines all the labor costs.
Old 10-21-2006, 02:23 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fezz
replacing the WP, rollers, belts, front seals and collars, cam cover gasket, rear cover gasket, rotor, coolant flush/fill, radiator drain plug, oil pump drive sleeve are all the while your in there things to do.
including assorted shop supplies runs about $600 in parts. you can do this job over the weekend on an N/A and only need a few specific tools - not sure if more is involved on the turbo.

learn to do this yourself, save big bucks, know it's done right and share a few beers and busted knuckles with your porsche buddies.
Yeah, thats what I'm planning on doing. I just need to buy the parts and find a tensioner tool to use.

Quick Reply: Water pump while doing timing belt?