Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flywheel sensor Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 11:36 AM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 205 Likes on 133 Posts
Default Flywheel sensor Questions

How many different sensor bracket types are there?

IIRC, the one off my 89 Turbo had holes for 2 sensors. This broken one (picture below) is off my 88 NA and has spots for THREE sensors. What is the third sensor for and what cars have this type? I may just go get this one welded.

TIA

"PS..Mike Markota has exceeded their stored private messages quota and can not accept further messages until they clear some space."
Attached Images  
Old 10-12-2006, 12:35 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Answering my own questions here, via the fabulous PET online. I've found that the 88 NA have a TDC sensor, and it is a part of the other sensor bracket. My needed part # is 944.101.321.07. I'm off to google local welding shops!

PET Online at:
http://www.porsche.com/canada/access...originalparts/
Old 10-12-2006, 03:19 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

And now I will answer my own question, in a rather lengthy way, to help anyone following in my footsteps save a lot of trouble.

The PET shows 2 different brackets, one with 2 holes and one with three. Mike Markota shipped me a two holer on Monday, where is that mailman? Anyway, I need a 3 holer. The PET says the third hole is for a TDC sensor. Hmmm.

The sensor HAS to go on BEFORE the bellhousing so I won't have to do the "over the top gapping nightmare" I've done before.

Attempts:

Get aluminum bracket welded: Drive to local welding shop. DOH! it isn't aluminum, but pot metal. Google "pot metal". Found web site that sells low temp solder, melts at 350, "Do the impossible, weld pot medal". $50. starter kit. Hmmm

Just for a laugh, call the Porsche dealer. We didn't get to the price, broke off negotiations when they mentioned 3 to 4 weeks for it to come from the motherland, IF they have it.

No answer at George B's (944 Ecology)

Looked at the Oxy/Acy torches, and in a moment of clarity, put them back. If the pros know better than to put a torch to it, what makes me think a rookie, some very flammable gas and some brazing rod could do. Plus, I may need the pieces to bolt or glue something together afterwards.

Picked up the JBweld, examined it, and then put it back. No respectable Renncher (copyright pending ) would do that. Examined bracket for possible external bracing design. I decided I would not be the man to better the factory's design here.

Just on a whim, called my local Ace wrench, Chris at Autobahn Extremist. He explained the third sensor is only used for diagnostics. I don't need it.

What is that sound outside? It is the mailman making his appointed rounds. There is a small box delivered that solved my problem. A beatiful two hole sensor braket. Thanks, Mike! Enjoy the tshirt.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:24 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Whoops! Sorry I always forget to clear my PM box.

I was reading the posts and starting to feel pretty crappy for mailling out the wrong part.

"Looked at the Oxy/Acy torches, and in a moment of clarity, put them back. If the pros know better than to put a torch to it, what makes me think a rookie, some very flammable gas and some brazing rod could do. Plus, I may need the pieces to bolt or glue something together afterwards."

Good for a laugh, I know the feeling lol

Happy to see it worked out alright, thanks for the t-shirt
Old 10-12-2006, 06:19 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. Your investigation is correct, most of the early cars had a 3 sensor setup. The 3rd is the TDC pickup for use with most of the Bear emissons equipment used back in the 90's. Also works with a scope for timing.

How did you bust the 1st one?
Old 10-12-2006, 06:35 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

The original had been patched with what looks like JB weld. (I ground off the epoxy before I took that pic). When I turned the bolt to loosen the sensor, it snapped in two. Glad to hear I can shed an 1/20 lb!
Old 10-12-2006, 06:44 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny stuff. When I first got my car, I dropped it off to have the clutch done as I did not feel like doing it myself. Fast forward 2 months to me working on the engine. Look down and notice that the third sensor, the TDC sensor is not even in the hole, it's just hanging by the wire, no bolt is even present.

I actually have been wondering what it did since the car seems to have been running fine without the thing. I did just reinstall it but at least it is nice to know that it is a part that does nothing.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:13 PM
tinman944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that is not Pot metal.. it is Aluminum....you need to find a welding shop that knows the differance.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:47 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ive never even heard of a TDC sensor- isnt that useless unless you have the right equipment? You could prob use the braket markota sent you and be ok....
Old 10-13-2006, 05:49 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

I drove the car around the block today, clutch smooth as butter! (with two sensors) Does anyone have that foam brick that lives under the shifter? A mouse used mine for a winter home.

Quick Reply: Flywheel sensor Questions