Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paintin rims

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 04:42 PM
SwiftyZenBadd
Drama Queen
Rennlist Member

Location: Somewhere in WI in my garage, or circum-navigating the globe in a wooden boat.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paintin rims

if i wanted to get my rims painted up, whats the best way to jack up the car untill i can get the rims back on? im thinking of a kinda extravagent paint job, so i could take awhile. i thought i heard someone say it wasnt a good idea to have the car on jackstands for too long.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:43 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

put four jackstands under it- having it on the jack stands isnt going to hurt it any more for 10 minutes than it is for ten years.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:38 PM
SwiftyZenBadd
Drama Queen
Rennlist Member

Location: Somewhere in WI in my garage, or circum-navigating the globe in a wooden boat.

hmm then why did someone say not to store your car on jackstands over winter? i thought it sounded funny, but theres alot of porsche things i find funney, that turn out not so funny.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:04 AM
Dales944
Burning Brakes

I took an entire winter to paint my wheels. The car was on jack stands the whole time, no problems noticed.

So, what's the "extravagent paint job"???
Old 10-10-2006, 04:48 AM
SwiftyZenBadd
Drama Queen
Rennlist Member

well i guess extravagent wouldnt be the "right" term for it, but i think some of the painting will have to be by hand. ive got 15" pd's, in the future im looking to go for 17's in either turbo twists/cup's but since ive spent alot more than what i originally expected, im just gonna paint the damn rims and hope that will make up for it.

i would like to have them painted/powdercoated white, with a black outer rim, with black outlines on the openings on the rim, and the holes for the lugnuts, maybe with white lugnuts? also colored porsche crest centers. im hoping that the black on the outlined ovals/lugnut openings will give the wheel a sort of optical illusion type thing(while in motion).

if i had any talent i would attemp to draw it out on paper, and im sure tim is sick of messing around with my crap.

then again im gonna be bored outa my mind tomarrow so maybe ill give it a shot.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:58 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SwiftyZenBadd

i would like to have them painted/powdercoated white, with a black outer rim, with black outlines on the openings on the rim, and the holes for the lugnuts, maybe with white lugnuts? also colored porsche crest centers. im hoping that the black on the outlined ovals/lugnut openings will give the wheel a sort of optical illusion type thing(while in motion).
No offense..................but that just sounds awful. From your description I am envisioning wheels that look like they should be on some sort of clown's parade vehicle.

What about having them redone in the factory silver, or maybe just all white like the magnesium cup phone dials?
Old 10-10-2006, 02:45 PM
SwiftyZenBadd
Drama Queen
Rennlist Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
non taken, i just cant seem to get a good picture in my head, so it could turn out looking like ****.
ive seen white phonedials, and i didnt like them,not enuf contrast.

when i get done with the car its gonna be 2 colors black/white. right now i got the silver paint on the rims, i dont see how that fits.

ill try my luck with ms paint and post up the results.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:05 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

White phonedials look pretty good on a white car, here is a set on a cup car:

http://www.asarus.com/ressources/man...a/PICT1112.JPG
Old 10-10-2006, 03:44 PM
SwiftyZenBadd
Drama Queen
Rennlist Member

Default heres what i came up with

DONT LAUGH!
This took me a while to complete, it looks like crap, but this is the best i could do.

before and after.
i borrowed the image from shawnhart, hope ya dont mind.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:59 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Reminds me of Mr. Bill !

I like the white on white look, if you can stand the constant brake dust problem! Not a fan of the white w/ black highlights idea.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:18 PM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Looks like you spilled some paint in the upper left hand corner

Contrast is a good idea, but I think the black rim/white center will have the effect of making your rubber tires look awfully thick (dark rim will blend in with the rubber) and the phone dial centers look awfully small.

If anything, I'd go with a white rim or polished rim and dark center - however, that seems to be what a lot of people are doing.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:23 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

go all white, or all black-
Old 10-10-2006, 04:35 PM
SwiftyZenBadd
Drama Queen
Rennlist Member

hmm i didnt think about the tire thickness thing. maybe ill just get some tire paint, and fill in the lettering.

i guess it looks like i dont follow the norm, so im probably gonna love it, but others will toss their cookies at first glance.

i dont like the idea of one solid color, so its gotta be a combo of the 2. like i said, dont follow the norm.

I asked tim for some help in the matter.

if anyones got any other ideas, id be happy to hear em
Old 10-10-2006, 04:43 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally Posted by SwiftyZenBadd
hmm i didnt think about the tire thickness thing. maybe ill just get some tire paint, and fill in the lettering.
So that you have white-lettered tires?

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Old 10-10-2006, 04:46 PM
PixelGrinder
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it looks cool imo

Quick Reply: Paintin rims