Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Home made seat base - Is this legal for DE?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 10:55 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Home made seat base - Is this legal for DE?

I just got my new seats delivered today. I was told they were side mount so I have sparco side mount brackets being delivered tomorrow. Of course they are bottom mount.

the sliders were not shipped yet. aaargh.

here is what i want to do:

get say a 1/4 inch thick piece of steel or alumuminum 4' wide by however long the seat track holes are. drill holes in it for the holes on the floor.

get say 1" square tubing or two pieces of heavy angle iron. on each side of the seat mount the tubing or take the two pieces of angle iron and bolt them to form the shape of a U and mount to the seat - front to back. i like the idea of angle iron since i can move the seat front to back on the angle iron until the sliders come inl

screw the tubing/angle iron to the piece on the floor.

screw the seat belt mount to the tubing. i also have 4 of the 5 pt harness system installed by a metro ny recognized pca shop.

would what i am proposing to do be legal for a PCA DE? I dont have welding equipment or welding skills.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:08 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just mount the seat to the bar and bolt the bar to the floor. Just need to get the seat the correct distance from the steering wheel before you bolt it in. This way you will have more head room, and it will be stout. Best to use hardened bolt, 8.8 or higher.

As for were to secure your belts, well there is a ton of posts on the subject. I spent a couple of days deciding were and how to install my belts.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:23 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I made my own seat mount which is bolted directly to the floor, no slider. I guarantee it's stronger than the mounts that came w/ the seats. As long as the mount is sturdy, I don't think anyone will care. FWIW, no one has ever looked at mine.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:36 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

i dont want to drill new holes in the floor. the car is still street.

i think i will use 3/4x3/4x1/8 angle iron. i may then make two cross pieces of angle iron the top would screw to the U on the side, and mount the seat to the two cross pieces. six bolts to the floor, four bolts to the cross pieces and four screws to the seat.

when the sliders come i just mount the sliders to the cross pieces.

this way I can move the cross pieces forward or back during the DE.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:12 AM
N_Halbert
Rennlist Member

Start by taking a lot of mesurments. What is the spacing of the bottom mount points on the seat? How does it compare to the stock floor mounts width, length?

What I did when I mounted my seats, side mount though, was use flat plates running from front to back and vary the width of the plate to make up the difference between floor and seat.

The sliders were $25 Summit Racing generic dual locking sliders. They were shorter than the front to rear distance stock distance. By drilling out the rear mounting bolt on the slider I was able to bolt through it, the plate and into the first of rear the stock mounting holes. The front bolt was cut down and bolted to the plate at the front just shy of the stock mount.

In this case I was adapting a wider 18 inch seat to the narrower stock floor points. The inside slider/mount aligned with the stock holes with a wider plate on the outside. The double holes are the stock rear mount points.

In your case you could use a flat plate sandwich with one under the slider to mount it to the floor and another on top to mate it to the seat mounting points. This would get the seat to it's lowest position. If you want to incline the front add a square bar from side to side bolted to the plate which can may become part of sub system.

Actually the top flat plate could be run from side to side to span the gap from the sliders mount point to that of the seat.

I hope this makes sense.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:40 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I did almost what Neil did. Except my two plates run side to side instead of front to back. I used 1/4" thick hardened steel. I drilled holes in them to match the mount holes on the sliders, and holes in them to match the mount holes in the seat. Everything was then bolted together using plates as adapters sandwiched between the seat and the sliders. Then the sliders bolted to the floor in the stock location.

To use the stock seat belt, I used the seatbelt mounts from non-power seats and bolted them to the sliders just like the stock configuration.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:37 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tom -the idea you describe is pretty much what the 'custom' seat bracket / sliders that Stable Energie sells. Plus their unit has a spot for you to mount up your inner seat belt anchor point. At $85.00-ish per seat, it may be worth it for you to look into it. Trust me - it's the way to go in your application. If you want to check out the setup (wish I took pictures), let me know. Heck, I'll even take out my seat and shoot some pics if you need...

-Z
Old 10-06-2006, 12:49 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

well it turns out the husband of a gal my wife taught with is the manager of a local speed shop. i showed up at 9am today and fortunately he remembered me from his daughters bat mitzvah a year and a half ago.

he had generic sliders, he had the same seat i have. we fiddled with this and that and then i asked him about the black GTO like seat he had. i ended up buying a pair of vinyl seats that recline and have lots of side bolsters and a shoulder bolster. there is a hole by the recline mechanism for the seat belt and best of all they come with tracks mounted just a tad under 16" apart. now i am off to the garage to play.

if anyone wants the v racing rush (cobra imola) seats i just bought tell me. i will put them in my wifes rendezvous and take them to pocono tomorrow if anyone wants.

Here the two sets are

Last edited by Tom R.; 10-06-2006 at 01:05 PM.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:59 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Tom, i may be interested in the seats.. what color are the ones you got? Do you have sliders that will work for them coming in eventually or do i need to find something to work with them? If you cant find someone to buy them this weekend let me know.

Just curious did you get the seats from SK-Speed off Sunrise Highway? Thats the only speed shop i can think of in the area.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:22 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

the black ones are from SK the red ones are konig/cobra

i will be getting sparco sliders. just need the sparco mounts. nice picture in your sig.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:13 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tom, glad to hear you got it sorted out.
Are you doing a DE at poncono this weekend with Metro NY?

Last edited by Bri Bro; 10-06-2006 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:03 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by beab951
Tom, glad to hear you got it sorted out.
Are you doing a DE at poncono this weekend with Metro NY?
yep. with my new no name seats.

the tracks were 16" apart. the holes in the tracks were a tad too close. the jigsaw came in handy. turns out i had a manual passenger seat so it was easy to get the seat belt anchor in. then the fun started. the threads on the passenger seat were not straight.

then there was the fact that the new seat bottom is bigger than the factory seat and it was impossible to get a tool under the back. so i made an extension that bolted to the track allowing me to use the rear mount.

passenger in at 630 and time to start the drivers side.

well i made two brackets for the inside bolts. cut the tracks so the holes were farther apart. installed the bracket and it fit. bolted the tracks to the floor in a dry run and all was perfect.

then realized the drivers seat belt mounted to the seat with a weld. had to find a longer bolt and replace the bolt going into the side frame. got belts on ready to roll.

mounted tracks to seat and started to put it in. wait, the impossible bolt is on the left side of the seat and i didnt make an extensin for the left.......

my wife went to bed at 7 she doesnt feel well. had a three year old helping me.....

seats are in and at 9:05 the kid is still wide awake. i gotta leave at 4:30
Old 10-07-2006, 03:04 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tom - I may be interested in the seats. If I can fit my 'not so narrow girth' into them!

-Z
Old 10-08-2006, 11:00 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Z-man
Tom - I may be interested in the seats. If I can fit my 'not so narrow girth' into them!

-Z
Z
I will get Dan to measure the width of his "full size" corbeaus and measure the width of these.

i was at a speed shop and they had the two konig seats. mine are the bigger ones.

gotta gut a hole to build a submarine strap for the seats i have in the car. the konigs have the hole, but with my back, and three hours back home today i need the recline of these seats.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:05 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Tom, heard what happened to Dan's car. That sucks bigtime!

How was the first DE in the Turbo?

Quick Reply: Home made seat base - Is this legal for DE?